Soaking my RRL's

tk1o48

My RRLs have been soaking since 630pm, ive renewed the water twice to maintain its warmth. Would an overnight soak result in more shrinkage? We all know the japanese RRLs sizing are all off. I got them tailored, however they did a poor job. I know the RRLs are sanforized, but im looking for any shrinkage possible. So is the shrinkage basically done? Since its been in the tub for well over a couple hours now. Or can an over night soak result in more shrinkage? feeed back please THANKS :)

I boiled 'em, baked 'em, triple-DAY soaked with repeated updates of the very hot water, re-tumbled and re-baked. Didn't do crap. Not even a half inch -- anywhere.

I need 3 inches off the waist line to reach the tagged size. As I've said elsewhere, really excellent and unwearable jeans. Yeeesh.

and after all that effort, theyre just going to stretch out even more for you

my rrls are off a little (not 3 inches though) and i understand your pain. there is no way youre going to get that kind of shrinking. if you like the fit in the legs, see if a tailor and a belt will do you any good, although it wont be as if they were fitted correctly from the beginning.

might just want to try another pair :(

There's another RRL thread where I share my pain with ordering multiple pairs, waiting months, and finding them all whacked. I'm far, far beyond the boondocks and closer to the moon than you can imagine.

Get another pair? I've thrown in the towel on RRL. The ones I have are already buried in a drawer.

For me, it's Sugar Cane and Sammies.., at least for now.

i'm really really surprised that anyone on this board is ordering RRLs from anywhere on the internet without asking for actual measurements from the seller...

the RRLs from several seasons ago where size-fucked worse than APC and this was pretty well documented (i wear 32s in almost everything; my RRLs are 27s...) on this board and elsewhere. the new RRLs, i think, are sized much more regularly, but i don't even know about other recent seasons.

regardless of brand, if you're buying jeans you've never had a chance to try on: get as many measurements as possible!

There's another RRL thread where I share my pain with ordering multiple pairs, waiting months, and finding them all whacked. I'm far, far beyond the boondocks and closer to the moon than you can imagine.

Get another pair? I've thrown in the towel on RRL. The ones I have are already buried in a drawer.

For me, it's Sugar Cane and Sammies.., at least for now.

if you knew they were off once, why did you buy them again?

that said, i made sure to ask the seller what the size was when i bought them on ebay. they are a great pair of jeans and its unfortunate that some people dont recognize this because of their availability and price on ebay. tough as nails, too.

i'm really really surprised that anyone on this board is ordering RRLs from anywhere on the internet without asking for actual measurements from the seller...

the RRLs from several seasons ago where size-fucked worse than APC and this was pretty well documented (i wear 32s in almost everything; my RRLs are 27s...) on this board and elsewhere. the new RRLs, i think, are sized much more regularly, but i don't even know about other recent seasons.

regardless of brand, if you're buying jeans you've never had a chance to try on: get as many measurements as possible!

the new RRLs (which are now popping up on ebay... they have the black and yellow tags) are tagged correctly ( I personally tried a pair on at the RL store)

Jeezus! And never a shortage of condescending assholes.

In the several other RRL threads, I have explained that:

a) these were ordered long before I discovered either this board or the facts about these jeans;

B)

as I spend many of my days within eyesight of the Afghan border (and others where certain mountains block my view), the convenience that you supercilious assholes enjoy to mince into Bay Area or NYC stores to try shit on simply isn’t available; and

c) that delivery time can be months so all had been ordered long before I received the first one.

Moreover, this isn’t about one of you twits going on and on about whether your size 29 or 30 is gonna make your ass look just right. And it isn't just that they are mis-labled for size. These are about grossly mis-fabricated jeans that are embarrassments to the label. I have two pair from the same batch that are entirely different in fit. Both have waistbands that simply don't correlate to the rest of the jeans.

Most jeans, even premium denim, are within an inch of a known size. Too small? Cold soak and wear ‘em wet. Too large? Hot soak and, if needed, hot dryer action. And that was the basis of the initial question here. But, in this case, a brand has released far too many totally ill-constructed items.

Yeah, the point is to help inform others. And, for this thread, to respond to the direct question that hot washes and drying won’t do much for these. The smug condescension adds nothing to the discussion, but tells a lot about you.

holy mackerel!

it's not common practice to search a member's entire post history prior to responding to them, so it's a little ridiculous to get angry because someone doesn't know the saga of your jeans purchasing travails...

without addressing the from-left-field personal attacks, i'll say this: the common RRL cuts that were all over eBay last year broke down into two styles, the slim cut, and the low-rise bootcut. they fit absolutely nothing like each other, and i don't think one person could really wear both styles. the sizing was off, yes, but i don't think you could call them "grossly mis-fabricated" because bodies of one type fit into them and bodies of another type don't. lastly, they were clearly marked as sanforized and sold as a one-wash -- i don't think anyone would expect washing (hot or otherwise) to do anything but clean them.

First, smug condescension IS personal.

When someone is interested in a specific make of jeans and is seeking information, one usually searches the threads, not a specific member's posts. Then, one reads them.

Secondly, this run of RRLs, which were slim AND boot cut, are grossly ill-constructed. I have two pairs with tags showing they came from the same batch that could not have been more different.

The first pair fit great -- except for the waist band, which fit like it had just come from an entirely different and much larger size: like four (4) full inches too big. But the rest of the jeans felt fabulous. The second pair, again tagged from the same made-in-Japan batch, fit entirely differently -- the thighs were extremely tight and the waist was still 2-3 inches too big.

In neither case would sizing down have helped. The waistband was simply wrong -- by several sizes no less. This was bad construction. Period.

The quality of the denim, strictly from the standpoint of the denim, is/was fantastic. But, who can wear jeans that have a waistband 3-5 inches bigger than the measurement and, more importantly, unrelated to the rest of the jeans?

As I’ve noted, they're really great, unwearable jeans...

Yeah, fine. But it is still not about “they just don’t fit”. Grandfather Frog couldn’t wear these! RRL dumped a large batch of entirely mis-cut and ill-constructed jeans on the market. Fine for those able to try on or easily return, or for those who have haunted fashion sites long enough to be forewarned.

I used to be a fan of RL items as generally good value for the money. They lost me on this.

As for this thread, I was responding to the question posted. I did major efforts (great way to kill time), to no avail. That was what the response was about.

kiss-kiss.

ditto, aint gonna happen, don't count on it...i have a slightly different story, perhaps sadder -- i knew about all the messed up sizing but I was actually at the RRL store trying them on. I wear a size 30 but they didn't have anymore and they kept lying to me about when they were going to get more ("next week, next week..."). Well finally one of them tells me to buy the 32 and wash it to shrink it down. I dunno how, but he somehow convinced me that it could be done. Well, not a millimeter of shrinkage. Thank god a 32 isn't too big on me. With a belt they are just fine.

Jeezus! And never a shortage of condescending assholes.

In the several other RRL threads, I have explained that:

a) these were ordered long before I discovered either this board or the facts about these jeans;

B)

as I spend many of my days within eyesight of the Afghan border (and others where certain mountains block my view), the convenience that you supercilious assholes enjoy to mince into Bay Area or NYC stores to try shit on simply isn’t available; and

c) that delivery time can be months so all had been ordered long before I received the first one.

Moreover, this isn’t about one of you twits going on and on about whether your size 29 or 30 is gonna make your ass look just right. And it isn't just that they are mis-labled for size. These are about grossly mis-fabricated jeans that are embarrassments to the label. I have two pair from the same batch that are entirely different in fit. Both have waistbands that simply don't correlate to the rest of the jeans.

Most jeans, even premium denim, are within an inch of a known size. Too small? Cold soak and wear ‘em wet. Too large? Hot soak and, if needed, hot dryer action. And that was the basis of the initial question here. But, in this case, a brand has released far too many totally ill-constructed items.

Yeah, the point is to help inform others. And, for this thread, to respond to the direct question that hot washes and drying won’t do much for these. The smug condescension adds nothing to the discussion, but tells a lot about you.

Christ, you're an ignorant prick.

a) There is never consistency from company to company in terms of clothes sizing. How you can blame someone else for your lack of research is beyond me.

B) Do you even realize that the vast majority of the people on here who own RRL's purchased theirs online without EVER seeing them in person, myself included?

c) Again, caveat emptor. Grow up.