Ever heard of these jeans?

Yes it is my auction, but these are pretty interesting. Any organic Chemists out there? there is an orgainic compound on the label that looks like it is a ketone or something.

There are single bonds coming off each carbon at the double bond.

l

co-c=c-co

l

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3970824819&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I'm not illiterate, I just can't type!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Apr 18, 2005 at 10:42 PM

the carbonyl group C=O must be in the middle somewhere for it to qualify as a ketone so what you have written is not a ketone, unless you simplified it by leaving out other groups at the end and it is really: R1-(C=O)-C=C-(C=O)-R2.

More importantly, why is it relevant? are ketones bad for denim?

(not an organic chemist but orgo was my best pre-med subject, heh heh)

i would suppose that if they do refer to some organic compound, they have omitted all the hydrogens? if not, when you count the number of bonds for C and O, the number is not right... the thing is if you want to start putting in hydrogens there, there's a lot of possibility.

eg. (H3C)-O-CH=CH-O-CH3 (ether), or HOC-CH=CH-COH (dialdehyde) etc... icon_smile.gif

I dunno what that compound is, and I personally think that those are ketones, though they dont have enough bonds to carbon (there should be 4), and the sticks on the double bonded carbons could be methyl groups (CH3). I have no idea how this relates to denim, but i sorta want those jeans cause they have a compound on the label.

Ha! It is true, selvage jean shoppers are smarter than your average projectile loom shopper! I am pretty certain that they omited the hydrogens. Very strange, I wonder why they put that on the jean! the red tab has one side of the double bond on one side and the other on the reverse. Cool though!

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Apr 19, 2005 at 07:08 AM

indigo belongs to an entirely different class of compound actually, they contain 2 nitrogen atoms apart from the carbon chains. hey but after looking at the molecular structure of the indigo itself, there's actually a -CO-C=C-CO- backbone there. it's just that the end of each carbonyl is connected to a ring

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~ksagarin/color/indigo.gif

that's a link to molecular structure of indigo, as i cant possibly copy my textbook image to this website lol

indigo actually belongs to a different class of compound, they have 2 nitrogen atoms in addition to the carbon chains. hey but after looking again at the structure of indigo, i realized that there's actually a -CO-C=C-CO- backbone there. it's just that the backbone forms part of ring structure.

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~ksagarin/color/indigo.gif

a link to molecular structure of indigo, since i cant possibly copy the image from my textbook to this forum lol

they are definately a vintage cut huh! I have owned a lot of jeans with a similar fit and they just don't work with my chicken legs and non-existant ass! Worst fitting jean ever was some 1937 LVC repros. Funny, but some distressed LVC repros fit great! All this said, my baggy real 1966 levis are my favorite.