S H A N G H A I

sufu1

superfuture is currently working on a map of shanghai and we need some HELP!

need someone who can just give us a bit of feedback if we need it...preferably with a FAX so we can send map and plot locations. also after some pointers to whats going on there right now.. contacts etc.

thankQ !!

--------------------------

superslave1

http://superfuture.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The map (already) looks impressive. I actually assumed all the 'action' was predominantly Pudong-based but then again I've never set foot there (yet...)

• 2 months later...

I just got back yesterday. I could do a few reviews and a couple of suggestions.... if that helps. My parents frequent Shanghai quite often too... i could get a bit more info if you like!

ETA: I stayed at the Portman Ritz (PuXi) and 3 years ago (December 2001) i stayed at Hyatt Jin Mao (PuDong). I have a relatively good idea of the surroundings of these 2 hotels.

Edited by rulZ on Jul 10, 2004 at 08:32 AM

• 4 months later...

It's true Beijing is an admin hub, but it's not the gov't that makes a city vibe. People away find ways to express themselves, and i'm sure the same it true in Beijing.

try these spots I've visited

-Old Poachers Inn, 7 Sanlitun Lu (pub)

-Sgt Pepper’s (lounge)

-JJ’s, Xinjiekou Bei Dajie (club)

- Dong Dan Bei Dajie (great place to find cloths)

-Lufthansa Centre (mall, chic)

-Cold Blooded Animal (underground rockers, try to catch a show)

anyway I think there is more than enough of a scene for SF to create a map. But I hope they consider other cities, Taipei, London, L.A. to name a few. But I think it has to do with demand for an area.

So....How's your girl?

Edited by kole on Dec 21, 2004 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Well, from what I keep reading (cover stories galore, like in TIME and PAPER SKY), Shanghai is the new "it" city in Asia. Lots of cool things happening there, be it in the art scene, or with shops and cafes/bars.

It sure is Jean!! It sure is!

It's developing at a very rapid pace and many of the people i've met have described it as Paris, New York and Japan all in one. A city rich in culture and business potential which is very likely to prosper!

Quote:

Well, from what I keep reading (cover stories galore, like in TIME and PAPER SKY), Shanghai is the new "it" city in Asia. Lots of cool things happening there, be it in the art scene, or with shops and cafes/bars.

--- Original message by Jean Snow on Nov 17, 2004 07:22 PM

I'm talkin bout Beijing dude.

• 1 month later...
Quote:

Well, from what I keep reading (cover stories galore, like in TIME and PAPER SKY), Shanghai is the new "it" city in Asia. Lots of cool things happening there, be it in the art scene, or with shops and cafes/bars.

--- Original message by Jean Snow on Nov 17, 2004 07:22 PM

that's what everyone's been telling me for years, and guess what, i didn't even want to leave my hotel room to check the scene out when i stayed in shanghai three weeks ago. i had to cover 9 cities in china (beijing, shanghai, guangzhou included) and maybe it's just that thing about this "magic" in the air, but i didn't feel it in shanghai - i felt it in XIAN. (i'm returning every month now for regular assignment so the sked between europe and china is a killer one for me.)

xian is where it's going to happen, but in a few more years and this is the real capital of china, the real cultural heart of that old dragon. anyone with an ounce of creative blood in him/her will feel it and know i'm right!

i've had buddies (and i'm talking about guys from hong kong who are trusted by the mainland government to develop china) work on building shanghai up and yes, beijing too, since early 1990 (after china open its doors to international tourism in the early 80's). they did a good job making shanghai happen, but as someone who harbours and cultivates the creative spirit, i'm more into inner mongolia and xian. i mean, how can you ignore something like the terracotta warriors, the exquisite ancient cuisine that have amazingly romantic names and introduction ... and the culture and depth of the people of xian, and their awareness and admirable intent and practice of historical and cultural preservation?! how can you not have visions of genghis khan and the fiery musical, vocal and dance performances of the mongolians? give me xian and inner mongolia anytime, i will travel the distance just to be with the people of these provinces! not with the money-oriented shanghainese or cantonese.

from the people of china themselves, they'll tell you, if they trust you, they are wary of chinese from taiwan, shanghai, and yes hong kong. the chinese from these places tend to be too commercial and ruthless, and not enough depth and culture remain with them. it's all just money money money, and make it happen any which way, and draw the suckers in that way.

china is happening, but i'd rather take hong kong to shanghai, and xian to shanghai anytime.

was i too brutally frank? icon_smile_tongue.gif

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

so, again, anything particularly superfuture going on new year's eve in shanghai?

and hey, isla maia, you've convinced me to do my best to check out xian while i'm in china. was gonna skip it cause it seemed to hard to get to and it seemed like the only thing there was the terracotta soldiers. any specific tips on xian?

peace

Quote:

so, again, anything particularly superfuture going on new year's eve in shanghai?

and hey, isla maia, you've convinced me to do my best to check out xian while i'm in china. was gonna skip it cause it seemed to hard to get to and it seemed like the only thing there was the terracotta soldiers. any specific tips on xian?

--- Original message by vinc3 on Dec 21, 2004 11:06 AM

there's quite a bit actually as i was sent a translation of the chinese details in english and it's about 19 pages, but i'll quote the names of the places of interest which hopefully you can research from the web, if not, ask me again and i'll quote the extract here ... and then i have to re-produce this really interesting bit on the cuisine:

places of interest: XIAN CITY WALL, SHAANXI PROVINCIAL CITY MUSEUM, MUSEUM OF QIN TERRA COTTA WARRIORS & HORSES (of course), FAMEN TEMPLE, BIG GOOSE PAGODA, BELL TOWER.

food extract:

Food

People visiting Xi'an must be surprised by the numerous historical sites and interesting places, as well as being left with a deep impression of the food of the city.

Xi'an's food, generally speaking, is served in large portions, is inexpensive and each dish has its own story.

On a downtown street, everywhere one can see signs, including "Old Sun Family's Paomo (steamed bun soaking in mutton soup), "Old Ma Family's Mutton" and "Old Liu Family's Hulutou (a local snack)". At the food street, food stands one after another stretch several hundreds meters. At night, temporary food stands fully line both sides of the street. Everywhere, there is a smell of delicous snacks.

On the street, small restaurants and temporary food stands serve very cheap snacks. A bowl of hulutou costs only three yuan. Many temporary stands sell Chengdu's hot specialty, 20 cents per cube. With so many rich snacks, a lot of local people do not prepare meals at home and are willing to eat at food stands.

There are three most famous restaurants--high-class Xi'an, average and lower-class Tongshengxiang and Defachang--among the city's restaurants. A variety of snacks in Xi'an have three restaurants gather many together.

In the front hall of the Xi'an Restaurant, a buxus board is carved with the story of the restaurant. When the attendant serves you a dish, she will tell you briefly a vivid story. For instance, she will tell you that this is a dish of chicken that Empress Dowager Ci Xi liked best, and the other is a dish of fish Chinese singer Wei Wei liked. Almost every dish has its own allusion.

After being rebuilt, old Tongshengxiang and Defachang restaurants stand highly at the most flourishing Zhonggu (bell and drum) Street. One meal costs more than ten yuan. In addition, there are feasts costing several hundreds or even thousands of yuan.

Tongshengxiang is known for its Niuyangroupaomo (steamed bun soaking in beef or mutton soup). It has become very popular as a dish for entertaining foreign state leaders. In 1983, the dish was moved from the restaurant to the national banque, and in 1993, Chinese traditional painting master Huang Zhou wrote an inscription mainly desctibes its appetizing taste. Because of this the dish becomes more and more famous. If you come here to taste it first, you do not eat too much because it is very filling.

Defachang has many special dishes, but the dearest is jiaoze made of Shark's fin. Another kind of jiaoze as big as a small fingertip filled with chicken meat. It is called a pearl jiaoze and is boiled in a hotpot of chrysanthemum soup. About this, there is a vivid story that when Empress Dowager Ci Xi came to the city she asked her cook to provide her with a new taste, and the cook prepared this kind of jiaoze to please her. It was well received. She ate three, six or nine in number, which is regarded in China as meaning good luck. Today, the words are different, for having one jiaoze, means to go off smoothly, two jiaoze for double happiness coming at the

• 2 months later...
Quote:

Beijing also seems to be seeing exciting things happening, especially with the art scene. There's a district, I forget the name, that has a huge warehouse that was turned into some sort of artists commune.

I like following Ziboy's photolog (although it's been down for the past few days):

http://ziboy.com

--- Original message by Jean Snow on Nov 18, 2004 07:03 AM

I think the district is called 798, definitively worth checking out....

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...