Are you a fashion snob?

verb

Today I was talking w/ my friends who shop with me and they pointed out the fact that I am a total asshole when I go shopping. I treat the employees who don't know anything like shit and if they don't have any worthwhile lines I walk out w/o even saying 'hi' to the greeter. Obviously, if someone helps me out and does a good job I'm very grateful and treat them like a king but otherwise, they're dead to me.

This was impacted by the fact that I stood outside my bro's dressing room while he tried on a new suit at Barneys and listened to 3 gay (and hideously bro'd out) guys talk about their fashion sense. Literally, they were each wearing a polo and a pair of cargo shorts w/ flipflops and discussed how all these different people they knew had no idea what fashion was. When their friend walked out and said "should I buy these Seven's, they're like $200!!" I calmly pointed out that if he didn't want to throw away his money he'd buy something in a straight leg since bootcut jeans went out of style over a year ago.

I am a dick.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When their friend walked out and said "should I buy these Seven's, they're like $200!!" I calmly pointed out that if he didn't want to throw away his money he'd buy something in a straight leg since bootcut jeans went out of style over a year ago.

you probably are helping him out in the long run. i wish i had someone tell me that when i bought my sevens.. even though i bought them 2 years ago

but then...you gotta also realize...to these guys, buying seven's is like the most baller shit they've ever thought of...but BECAUSE of kids like that, thats why i get compliments on the way i dress cuz kids like that buy Sevens like everybody and their grandma's...so my uniqueness sticks out

I am in no way shape or form a snob. There are certian things I wont wear because the style does not flatter me, but if it looks good on me i will wear it. Brands/cost doesn't matter, whether it suits my taste and style does. (Like, i dont wear things with the brands name noticeably preinted on it ever, i prefer solids, and well tailored items)

i dont know, maybe i'm a fit and pattern snob....

i'm such a snob...

-I get angry at guys who wear Guess and think they're the shit

-"Paige Premium Denim" is not premium denim

-one's going out wardrobe should not be completely from ExpressMen

-no matter what designer "designs" for them or how much french they use in their commercials, Target does not sell high fashion clothing (and although I think it's completely acceptable to buy clothing from target, I am well aware that i'm just wearing a shitty cheap hoodie, not a fashionable piece)

-just because it comes from the Rail at Nordstroms does not make it cool

-Ed Hardy should be shot in the face

But at the same time, you can find cool things at target, the rail, and other stores that aren’t in SoHo, and if you put yourself together well, you can look good in anything. But Ed Hardy should still be shot in the face.

Its hard not to get that attitude when youre informed. When your friends think Sevens and Diesels are the holy denim grail..things can get ugly. Its hard to get them out of that way of thinking since its being reinforced in them from every angle..which makes them think that youre out of touch. Which is never good for a superfuture guy. That can turn you into something like the incredible hulk in seconds. or, better yet, the credible hulk. ohh snap.

The other extreme will just assume you are a label whore, since most people assume the fashion-conscious are such. Mostly because the only guys running around being vocal about how fashion-inclined they are tend to just be label whores who consult Star magazine for the latest in mens fashion. Stereotypes are a bitch.

i've actually come to terms about my friends never understanding my taste in fashion... alittle while ago my friend asked wat jeans he should get...i said (idk...i really like slim straight or tapered or tube leg styles in raw and preferably selvage) i mean he obviously didnt understand a word i said to him but he then went to Nordstrom and bought a pair of Sevens. at that point...i really didnt wanna say antyhing cuz i woulda killed his ego by saying his sense of fashion is of every stereotypical white guy sporting northface + sevens + A&F tshirt.

but in another case...my friend criticized me saying my jeans are ugly cuz they have no wash on it (i was wearing my nudie slim jim's, only 2-3 weeks old). I was tempted to punch him in the face cuz i knew no matter how or what i said to explain WHY there was no wash on them... he wouldn't have understood.

i've actually come to terms about my friends never understanding my taste in fashion... alittle while ago my friend asked wat jeans he should get...i said (idk...i really like slim straight or tapered or tube leg styles in raw and preferably selvage) i mean he obviously didnt understand a word i said to him but he then went to Nordstrom and bought a pair of Sevens. at that point...i really didnt wanna say antyhing cuz i woulda killed his ego by saying his sense of fashion is of every stereotypical white guy sporting northface + sevens + A&F tshirt.

but in another case...my friend criticized me saying my jeans are ugly cuz they have no wash on it (i was wearing my nudie slim jim's, only 2-3 weeks old). I was tempted to punch him in the face cuz i knew no matter how or what i said to explain WHY there was no wash on them... he wouldn't have understood.

Do you go to UW? because it pretty much sounds like you do. especially the Northface+sevens+A&F, its pretty much the uniform here, male or female.

2 of my better friends are actually brothers (one a year older one a year younger than me, works out well), and they both needed jeans and asked me what they should get, but since I knew an indepth reply would be wasted, just went with, something dark and straightleg. One friend got some dark levis bootcuts, which are fine by me. The other one is actually going to be picking up a pair of APCs soon I think. APC is the key to getting people hooked.

i dont bother preaching to many people, unless they want to be schooled.

im a snob, but i dont vocalize it anymore, and let people be..

in a way we're all brand whores anyway, even on this board, just our brands cost 3x more.

what bothers me more is that often the clothing that these people wear do help them act even more like what they represent. ie. sean jean ganster, or A&F / seven bro

I feel for you man.

I got heckled last night for wearing Julian Reds by like 4 people at once. I wasnt even halfway into my "yeah arent they cool...I love how they contrast with this loose fitting marc jacobs button up...and look how theyre a slight taper but they stack on my Chucks just right and I really like how slubby these damn things are! nothing compared to Pure Blues of course but--" and I realized they werent complimenting them. ..and that they were already turned around buying Jaeger bombs.

fucking seattle.

i actually sell all the bullshit that inspired this thread. the funny thing is that i work in premium denim and i would not consider most of the jeans premium. they are distressed in all the wrong places, they don't fit and people who wear them buy them for the name. my attitude towasrd customers changes as the day goes by. if i am just starting out the day i'll sell true religions just cause they're expensive but if i got enough commision i criticize them and tell people they're out style. they usually go to another sales person who will tell them that they're the best jeans we got.

another thing is men in their forties wanting to dress like teenagers. there is something wrong with the society when i watch late night talk shows and grown men have loosened ties like they just came off the floor at the stock exchange. I always believed that a man should dress appropriately according to this age. and these dudes just look like some bad fashion makover experiments.

Do you go to UW? because it pretty much sounds like you do. especially the Northface+sevens+A&F, its pretty much the uniform here, male or female.

2 of my better friends are actually brothers (one a year older one a year younger than me, works out well), and they both needed jeans and asked me what they should get, but since I knew an indepth reply would be wasted, just went with, something dark and straightleg. One friend got some dark levis bootcuts, which are fine by me. The other one is actually going to be picking up a pair of APCs soon I think. APC is the key to getting people hooked.

crazy...yea i goto UW lol. i just picked up a pair of APC's at blackbird earlier today. new standards, sized down 2 sizes to get that nice slim fit. But idk...i've found it that the best way to get people into premium denim (not yet the whole rigid selvage or dry denim stuff) is Diesel only because most people know the brand so theyre not hesitant to buying 200$ jeans...and they are pretty nice jeans. With brands like APC, Nudies, Earnest Sewn, LVC, all that ACTUAL premium stuff (that i consider premium), not alot of people know about so theyre all like... "man nobodys gonna know i have nice jeans on" but either way.. lol.