Washington DC

Caps Lock

I will be in Washington DC during the weekend of January 27th, I was wondering what is there to see and do (besides the touristy monuments and whatnot) in terms of nightlife, places to eat, shopping, etc. Another issue is that I am on a college budget, also I need a cheap hotel in a pretty safe area during my duration of stay. Thanks ahead!

Ugh, I wrote a lengthy reply, but it got lost on the way. Basically, Dupont Circle area has a lot of hotels and is almost embarrasingly safe, hotel rates are cheaper on weekends, use the standard searches, but I'd recommend, maybe, Jury's, or one of the Kimpton hotels.

What are you looking for, nightlife-wise? Clubs? Rock clubs? Dive bars? Lounges? Meatmarkets?

Shopping is pretty well covered on the future. Recent developments include: Relish is no longer carrying men's stuff; Denim Bar opened a branch in Bethesda; Commonwealth doesn't seem to be open yet.

Chi Cha Lounge on 16th Street and U. Dark and with lots of couches and hookahs. Excellent latin music and good crowd, with less of the VA/MD folks you see in Georgetown.

Dragonfly is decent. All white interior and ambient drum & bass or chill house. Sushi there is terrible but it's a fun place to start the evening. 18th and Connecticut.

18th Street Lounge. Unmarked door next the Mattress Discounters. Typically lounge music ala Thievery Corporation. Don't show up with with 2 guys and expect to get in.

Red Room at the Black Cat. On 14th Street. Chill bar inside a indie rock venue. Lots of locals from Mt. Pleasent, Adams Morgan, Shaw, etc.

For a fun afterhours club, go to Red on the small street called Thomas Jefferson off of 18th and Connecticut. Unmarked door and just a guy standing outside. Awesome deep house music in a small basement setting. Go around 1:30am to beat the most 2am crowd. I hope it's still open. It's been about a year now.

• 10 months later...