dpmhi x know1edge watch - what do you think???

nnkd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the street scene and watches hardly mix. As you can see on here and hypebeast forums, most people will spend $500 on a pair of shoes but anything over a $50 Timex and they are screaming murder. How many of you even know that this is a wanna be copy, or "tasteful representation" of the famed Panerai watch? Bet many haven't even heard of Panerai previously. But all of a sudden, dpmhi and know1edge team up and make one and it's great.

There are other companies that make watches that look like more famous counterparts, but the difference is these companies are respected themselves. dpmhi x know1edge have as much knowledge (no pun intended) in the watch world as does Kenneth Cole, Coach, and Levi's. They make clothes, shoes, NOT watches. Would you buy a Kraft pair of jeans?

For me the street scene and watches hardly mix. As you can see on here and hypebeast forums, most people will spend $500 on a pair of shoes but anything over a $50 Timex and they are screaming murder. How many of you even know that this is a wanna be copy, or "tasteful representation" of the famed Panerai watch? Bet many haven't even heard of Panerai previously. But all of a sudden, dpmhi and know1edge team up and make one and it's great.

There are other companies that make watches that look like more famous counterparts, but the difference is these companies are respected themselves. dpmhi x know1edge have as much knowledge (no pun intended) in the watch world as does Kenneth Cole, Coach, and Levi's. They make clothes, shoes, NOT watches. Would you buy a Kraft pair of jeans?

I disagree. I wouldn't ever buy a real Panerai. I simply don't trust the Italians when it comes to something as complex as a watch movement, and certainly not when I'd be paying $4k. But for £100, and the fact that it's Maharishi and I've been a huge whore for them for the last decade, means I'm willing to take a punt on it, even if it is a fashion watch, which I wouldn't normally touch with a barge pole.

Does this mean my next real watch won't be a Chopard Mille Miglia, or that I don't still want my Dad's IWCs? No. The fact that they're limiting the numbers helps too.

Still waiting for confirmation that mine's shipped.

I agree with you that this is just a Panerai rip, but i think that most people here recognized that too. I like a lot of high end watches and have a couple breitlings that i wear most of the time. But there's also something to be said for a cheap watch that's still trendy. You're right, Kenneth Cole, etc are a joke and it annoys me when gotti boys think they're fly b/c they have a $800 movado, but these collabs are nice b/c it's a stylish watch that doesn't cost 3 grand that you can just mess around in. No one's buying them for the Swiss precision and quality.

it might not be made in switzerland but it has a swiss movement.

and as for cheap replications, most high end watch companies dont use their own movements, except the very high end.

anyway its a nice loking watch. ltd ed (ie not every tom dick and harry will be wearing it), auto swiss movt and relatively cheap to boot.

i ordered the orange one on friday from dpmhi. ive heared the strap is reversible

dont know when there gunna start shipping though

WORD! Just like I won't wear a Guess Chronograph, or a Nike Trench, I am not about to hump on some piece of shit watch. Maybe because I have an IWC, but a good watch is an investment. I've given up on being cool. BTW pick up a Broad Arrow Omega for a few more bills. Get that vintage look with.......a vintage watch. Genius.

I disagree. I wouldn't ever buy a real Panerai. I simply don't trust the Italians when it comes to something as complex as a watch movement, and certainly not when I'd be paying $4k. But for £100, and the fact that it's Maharishi and I've been a huge whore for them for the last decade, means I'm willing to take a punt on it, even if it is a fashion watch, which I wouldn't normally touch with a barge pole.

Does this mean my next real watch won't be a Chopard Mille Miglia, or that I don't still want my Dad's IWCs? No. The fact that they're limiting the numbers helps too.

Still waiting for confirmation that mine's shipped.

this is not 100% directed toward your quote:

recently panerai has been using swiss movement.

buying this kind of shit is the same as buying a fake or cheap rep with another label on it. the movement on these would in no way compare to that of a panerai.

i can understand the money/pricetag issue, but why make use a sorry excuse (people go on and on about how much they love a particular street brand...) to buy a fake-fake watch rep?

195mm just above my wrist

but i like to wear m,y watch quite loose and push it up quite high

but its a massive watch

when i first opened it i was like, ok...

the font looked a bit child like and too simple,

but the more i look at it, the more i like it

the face has really nice understated detailing like the raised num,bers and the hands

this watch is a piece of lint. those of you who think its a deal are deluded. Don't beleive for even a second that this is a swiss movement. take a look at this picture:

2528.jpg

the overal finish on the movement screams asian. no cote de geneve finish--no movement finishing period. also note there are no bearings around the rotor, which is consistent with cheap 20 dollar asian movements. Poor man's panerai :( looks really cheap. i bet the case isn't even a real PVD coating but just black paint....

this watch is a piece of lint. those of you who think its a deal are deluded. Don't beleive for even a second that this is a swiss movement. take a look at this picture:

2528.jpg

the overal finish on the movement screams asian. no cote de geneve finish--no movement finishing period. also note there are no bearings around the rotor, which is consistent with cheap 20 dollar asian movements. Poor man's panerai :( looks really cheap. i bet the case isn't even a real PVD coating but just black paint....

And? It's £100. It's not like a £600 fashion watch that's got a quartz movement.

And? It's £100. It's not like a £600 fashion watch that's got a quartz movement.

it just seems like a lot of money to waste on a poor automatic movement. the case is painted, and the crystal is probably mineral. it will probably last a couple years at most. for a little bit more money you can get a decent panerai "HOMAGE" watch, which are genuinely high quality 1:1 reproductions of vintage models but lack any name branding. many of these panerai homage's use the same base caliber swiss movements as the originals. they surface on ebay from time to time, but they tend to go for a few hundred bucks..... if you know who the supplier is, you can email them directly and get a really good price on a custom assembled watch of your choice of case size/type (radiomir/luminor; 44mm/47mm), dial (sandwich/sausage), crystal (sapphire or acrylic), and movement.

between a custom built swiss movement homage watch for a couple hundred and this cheap imitation i would rather choose the custom. the truth of the matter is that they are both instances of copyright infringement on panerai's patented crown guard mechanism. which do you all think is more honorable, making a quality homage with no labels or markings or slapping some streetwear brand name and an unclever deliberately mispelled (with a number in lieu of a letter) word on a cheap asian movement watch (and then marketing it as swiss).

Several years ago there was another brand, RXW, which panerai's legal team compelled to halt production. they based their design off a vintage model and used a good quality swiss made ETA 6497 caliber movement. retail at the time was about $400, but thanks to their high quaility and limited production they became somewhat collectable and now sell for upwards of $2000. unfortunately, i highly doubt the same will come of this cheap imitator.