hot hong kong

she sleeps

can anyone provide a few tips on where to go in hong kong? i've been several times, but have never looked hard for the legitimately cool stuff. restaurants, cafes, clothing stores, art galleries, toy stores, areas, etc.

i've looked on superfuture, but haven't found much that seems that compelling or genuinely cool. any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Just came back from HK the other day, it's a truly great city. the only drawback is that everything is rather expensive.

Don't use Superfutures maps for HK, they are all incorrect/outdated.

For shopping:

The area around Paterson Street (northeastern Causeway Bay) has some pretty cool stores; Juice, I.T. and D-mop to name a few. Close to Times Square is Disciple and what used to be Overheads (although it has a new name).

On the Kowloon side, Granville Circuit (on Granville Rd) in Tsimshatsui has some cool stores. Also on Granville Rd. is a place called Grand selling aNYthing, clarendon, stussy etc. it's a cool store.

Up in Mongkok you have Fa Yuen Street (aka Sneaker Street).

For Food/Clubs/Bars:

Soho on the island and Knutsford terrace in Kowloon come to mind although there are fantastic restaurants all over the place. Local food like noodles, wonton soup and curry rice is quite cheap and filling.

Quote: Don't use Superfutures maps for HK, they are all incorrect/outdated.

excellent! we are all looking forward to all your corrections

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1285

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1312

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1294

--------------------------

superslave1

http://superfuture.com

rather than telling users 'don't use superfutures maps...' it would be more useful to post your a-grade precision location info on those map threads along with everyone elses useful comments and feedback so that in the next update they can be corrected... the maps we post on supertalk are DRAFTS only and in development. telling users not to use superfutures maps because they are 'incorrect and out of date' is a bit rough for all the other users in this little supertalk community who have actually helped create the maps from nothing... obviously a dedicated person on the ground in the hk would be best but right now we cant even afford dim sims.

ok. enuff of a microrant from me...

btw... it was already posted that juice was in wrong spot...as was 852.

rather than telling users 'don't use superfutures maps...' it would be more useful to post your a-grade precision location info on those map threads along with everyone elses useful comments and feedback so that in the next update they can be corrected... the maps we post on supertalk are DRAFTS only and in development. telling users not to use superfutures maps because they are 'incorrect and out of date' is a bit rough for all the other users in this little supertalk community who have actually helped create the maps from nothing... obviously a dedicated person on ground in the hk would be best but right now we cant even afford dim sims.

ok. enuff of a microrant from me...

btw... it was already posted that juice was in wrong spot...as was 852.

superslave1

^ if it sounded like a total diss then I apologize, it wasn't meant like that. I was just a bit frustrated the other week when I had printed out a copy of the Causeway Bay map only to discover that none of the places I wanted to visit (the three stores mentioned in my previous post) simply were not in the locations described.

also, HK seems to be one of those cities where shops disappear/re-locate/change names very frequently so I guess it's not the easiest job in the world keeping up with it all.

if I were indeed based in HK, rest assured that I would do my best to help you in any way that I could.

apology accepted. i admit that when you are travelling and maps are incorrect the first instinct is to freddy kruger the cartographer the minute you get home. thats precisely why i started making them in the first place...

i guess we really need to emphasize more that they are still drafts. actually we have gone from maps of 4 cities to 12 cities since last september... and cities like HK and tokyo change overnight...so it is always impossible to be 100% correct. our rationale for posting on supertalk was that it might be a faster track to develop maps this way and rely on user feedback to tweak them. our experience is that people who actually LIVE in cities often do not shop as regularly and thoroughly as people who VISIT them for say a 3 day intense shopping recon. in this respect people cruising around the planet and accessing supertalk are potentially the most up-to-date info sources available. the best solution is a combo of both a city based correspondent who does regular overhauls of the city and know all the openings and closings and then visitors who do some fine tuning...

it is interesting and surprising that the causeway bay map has entirely developed from that post. i havent been to hk for years. tim who made the map has never been there... but as soon as we posted it we got plenty of good feedback [with obviously more needed]... hopefully it is still better than no map at all...

apology accepted. i admit that when you are travelling and maps are incorrect the first instinct is to freddy kruger the cartographer the minute you get home. thats precisely why i started making them in the first place...

i guess we really need to emphasize more that they are still drafts. actually we have gone from maps of 4 cities to 12 cities since last september... and cities like HK and tokyo change overnight...so it is always impossible to be 100% correct. our rationale for posting on supertalk was that it might be a faster track to develop maps this way and rely on user feedback to tweak them. our experience is that people who actually LIVE in cities often do not shop as regularly and thoroughly as people who VISIT them for say a 3 day intense shopping recon. in this respect people cruising around the planet and accessing supertalk are potentially the most up-to-date info sources available. the best solution is a combo of both a city based correspondent who does regular overhauls of the city and know all the openings and closings and then visitors who do some fine tuning...

it is interesting and surprising that the causeway bay map has entirely developed from that post. i havent been to hk for years. tim who made the map has never been there... but as soon as we posted it we got plenty of good feedback [with obviously more needed]... hopefully it is still better than no map at all...

superslave1

Try No.1 Beijing Road (not sure whether it's the right english name for the road) in Tsim Sha Tsui for a really cool bar called Aqua Spirit. Panaramic views of Victoria Harbour. :) Think there's also a celeb hangout calle Hu Tong 2-3 floors down Aqua Spirit. Btw, as you may have noticed, No.1 Beijing Road is a commercial building.

As for shopping, Silvercord Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui has lots of Japanese Labels plus an I.T. store which are all worth checking out.

This is all random.......

i was just in hk a few weeks ago and ginza shopping plaza is a cool spot to check out for cool hunts on clothing and kicks. if you're into urban toys, check out cmta centre in mong kok, too. also there's a cool plaza just behind cmta centre that has many kicks, clothing, and retro stuff. i think it's called fashion plaza or something...

hope this helps though...

thanks to everyone for your help. it's not easy finding the cool in hong kong. i've been on blogs everywhere and haven't found any online mags that talk about the scene. i just know there is cool to be found!!

but thanks for all the tips. I'll report back on what I find.