Bicyclettes

canice

dumb question but is there a way to see if my cinelli stem is a 26.4mm or 26mm clamp without having to pull my bars out and measuring? I read in sheldon browns glossary that before 98 they were all 26.4. Are there any distinguishing marks that might show around what year they are from?

dumb question but is there a way to see if my cinelli stem is a 26.4mm or 26mm clamp without having to pull my bars out and measuring? I read in sheldon browns glossary that before 98 they were all 26.4. Are there any distinguishing marks that might show around what year they are from?

If you have threaded stem, 99% it is 26,4mm.

All of the cross-over era bars are marked clearly "26.0mm" if they are such. I've never seen a 26mm threaded Cinelli stem.

I've been saving up for a long while for a new summer/long trip bike, and just bought pretty much all I need to build it up.I wanted to build it right, all new and the nicest/smartest parts I could afford without wasting money. Right now I'll be on a budget wheelset, but come summer I'll probably build up something nice.

I wanted very simple colors, very classic white/silver scheme

Some of the things I got:

Soma Rush frameset in Pearl White

nitto bullhorns/ ui-5gx stem w. white bartape

sugino RD cranks

mks pedals/toeclips/white cinelli straps

brooks b17 special copper/honey which I've trimmed down

and I did waste a bit of money on this, i've had my eye on it forever and i'm always real pissed that my lever won't fit on the big part of my bars. this one will, plus i've had my last lever for 8 years through bmx and now my road bike, so it'll be nice to switch it up.

IRD_Interceptor_Pro_Brake_Lever_1.jpg

so excited, just had to post it lol

I had this built up over the summer by Sage at The Bike Biz in Sacramento. He is a cool guy and knows his shit, plus, if you are buying a complete bike, or a frame and a fair amount of parts, the discount they give on components when you buy a frame makes it well worth it.

4ab65fd8.jpg

Hey, rather ask you guys then the guys over at bikeforum.

I've been riding a beater road bike for a while, but have chosen to buy a fixed gear.

So for the past 2 weeks, I've been trying not too use the brakes as much, and mimicing the 'no-coasting' feel, but always end up using the front ones to stop at lights, pedestrians etc.

Do you guys think that I would be able to hold my own resisting the strokes and skidding? Or should I install a front brake for safety as I am new. I do have confidence in my thighs...

And where I am, New Zealand, it is illegal to ride without breaks. Im pretty sure cops dont check, but what if I get in a accident, would insurance refuse to pay as I didnt have breaks? Or if I keep my mouth shut would I be fine?

Why don't you just keep your front brake on? What's the problem with that?

First of all it's their for emergencies, because trust me, they happen. Who ever says they can ride just as well w/o a brake as w/ one, I say bullshit.

Second of all, save your knees.

Ride with a front brake. Being brakeless when you are just start riding fixed is dangerous, and it keeps you from being able to ride as hard as you would otherwise. If you think riding with a brake makes you look like a poseur, you should realize how lame you look when you are without a brake and can't properly control your bike. People die because of that shit.

If you go 6 months to a year of heavy riding without using a brake at all, even in emergency situations, take your brake off then, if you still feel like there is a good reason to.

Thanks for the replys. I dont mind looking like a 'poser' as long as im having a good time. I think thats what all that counts.

And I do want that safetynet. To be honest, I was a bit shocked too see people riding brakeless screaming down the streets in Tokyo. Looked like fun though!!

And I want too install it myself, I understand there are tutorials on the internet, and I think I am quite mechanically inclined, but do you guys have any kinds of tips that may help? Or is it quite straight-foward, as I think it is.

i'm also a big fan of starting out with a brake, especially if you're in bigger cities like NYC, SF, LA, etc or anywhere with tons of traffic. i started in bloomington where it was relatively low-key so i never rode one.

just stick one on there, but don't use it unless you absolutely have to. it'll build up your legs and get you used to going to your legs to stop instead of your grip.

it's illegal almost everywhere to ride a bike without a brake. thats why you see a lot of the dudes in japan with the clamp-on brakes as their fines are pretty steep. i've also seen some in portland, OR where they put the lever on the seat, just so its there but they never use it. ticketing was extremely high there this past year.

I rode without a brake for a month. It just wasn't fun. My legs can usually handle it, but going down the hills was a pain in the ass and I found myself having to go easy on leg day at the gym, which is a higher priority than riding my bike.

My front brake is on for good. my new build may even have both front + rear

My front brake is on for good. my new build may even have both front + rear

This should go without saying, but If you are riding fixed, a rear brake is counter-productive...its like fighting your hand with your legs. If you are putting a flip-flop on your new ride though...a rear brake is definitely a good call.

Hey, rather ask you guys then the guys over at bikeforum.

I've been riding a beater road bike for a while, but have chosen to buy a fixed gear.

So for the past 2 weeks, I've been trying not too use the brakes as much, and mimicing the 'no-coasting' feel, but always end up using the front ones to stop at lights, pedestrians etc.

Do you guys think that I would be able to hold my own resisting the strokes and skidding? Or should I install a front brake for safety as I am new. I do have confidence in my thighs...

And where I am, New Zealand, it is illegal to ride without breaks. Im pretty sure cops dont check, but what if I get in a accident, would insurance refuse to pay as I didnt have breaks? Or if I keep my mouth shut would I be fine?

Keep the brake.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

Just got my bike today, set it up, went to my local bike shop to get straps and the brake. Did it all myself! Yay!

To be honest I was underestimating fixed gear without a break. But now that I have that break I feel like I have more confidence.

But damn fixed gear is fun! I cannot belive I was missing out on this! I understand what you guys mean when you say 'You feel one with the bike'. Riding now seems like a game then a chore.

Went riding around the hills and valleys of Auckland for the past 2 hours! But the only problems I seem to be having is strapping in, I cant seem able to do it consistantly...But I think its all just practise.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers