Bicyclettes

canice

If you're going to make long-distance rides part of your life, figure out your sweat rate. I know it sounds corny, but that has helped me a lot this past year.

You weighing yourself?

The amt I stated is accurate, though your thirst will vary, but that is different than fluid loss and replacement.

Whatever, hope you guys are plannin on riding all winter!

You weighing yourself?

The amt I stated is accurate, though your thirst will vary, but that is different than fluid loss and replacement.

Whatever, hope you guys are plannin on riding all winter!

No, honestly, it does vary. I understand what you're saying about thirst, but my sweat rate varies from 8-10 oz./hour to 20 oz./hour. If I tried taking in more fluids than that, I'd get GI issues. Trust me...triathletes are an obsessive group of nutjobs that will measure every quantifiable thing under the sun.

http://forums.cyclingweekly.co.uk/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/76603/an/0/page/0

Somebody give me instructions on what to buy to ride in 20º weather. This midwestern thing is kicking my san diegan ass.
I wear a polypro baselayer, fleece midlayer and windproof shell for that kind of temperature. I generally skip the fleece and use armwarmers for warmer days.

For gloves, I just use defeet duragloves and layer snowboarding gloves when it gets too cold. I ride with my bibs only for quite a while, and then layer generic non-baggy sport pants for below ~5 deg celsius. Have yet to try winter bibs or leg warmers.

the gloves came in today wayoutwest. about to go ride in them tonight but i'd definitely recommend them. thick enough to keep your appendages warm but not enough to limit mobility. the grip on the palms are really nice too

got my toshi double straps, generic double gate clips, and MKS sylvans installed. they are a dream. my legs move and the bike responds. before, I had to move my feet and my legs.

5182988221_9f2bbfeb85_z.jpg

just a real question – why would you spend a benjamin to get double straps when a set of shimano SPD pedals are ~$40 and cleats are ~$60 if you care about speed? :confused:

doesn't make sense, or is this a fixie thing?

just a real question – why would you spend a benjamin to get double straps when a set of shimano SPD pedals are ~$40 and cleats are ~$60 if you care about speed? :confused:

doesn't make sense, or is this a fixie thing?

I commute with this bike, everywhere. I don't even own a car. I don't always want to bring a pair of shoes with me, nor have I liked a pair of shoes that have support for cleats that I have seen.

What are some of the cheaper options people have gone with over the Toshi's?

I've heard good things about Wabi Cycles doubles they're $28 but only come in black. I have All-City deluxe doubles because I wanted white ($55) and they've been great.

^ i use the same straps and i hate mine..they come loose as soon as i pull any semi-hard skid. it's real annoying. i need something that's going to strap me in tight. does anybody know if you can buy velcro straps for track pedals? i don't want to use those huge bmx pedals

^ i use the same straps and i hate mine..they come loose as soon as i pull any semi-hard skid. it's real annoying. i need something that's going to strap me in tight. does anybody know if you can buy velcro straps for track pedals? i don't want to use those huge bmx pedals

Which straps do you have that you hate the Wabi's or All-Cities? I think you'd probably want something like Hold Fasts. They're the best foot retention for skids and not too expensive either.

got hit by a motorist turning into a driveway to the library while I was cruising. Nailed my left side, sent me over the hood, and flew approx. 10 feet. landed on my right side. no brain or back injuries but my left leg from the knee down is on fire and my right shoulder is sore. All in all I was really fucking lucky. Full moon and a well lit street (under 2 street lights where I was hit) and he didn't see me. not sure about my bike, it wasn't pedaling right. really can't wait to see what I feel like tomorrow...

this is the second time I have been hit in 2 months. Am I doing something wrong? Both times I was hooked as I was following all the laws and not going particularly fast. Lack of a front light could be an issue, but when you are in super well lit places, I feel like even that assumption becomes questionable. Part of it is the city I live in is notorious for bad drivers of all kinds. and not being particularly skilled in riding with bikers, it seems less surprising. either way a helmet might be necessary.

^^^ sorry man, but i definitely 3x the helmet recommendation. A few friends of mine got majorly hit in san diego this last year, the worst one had her lose a tooth, crack an orbital bone, and a concussion, but her helmet saved her life w/o a doubt.

In other news, I picked up an outlier.cc hoody. I'll let you know how it feels/looks like. I know it's pricy, but this is Superfuture, and I've read every review online on the merino wool/Schoeller fabric, and all have nothing to say but super kudos. This just might replace my old Vexed Generation ninjahoody :)