What pants with denim jackets?

Double D

This is a little dilemma I've had for sometime. Rightly so, my missus insists that denim-on-denim is a grand fashion crime that harks back to the horrible days of Status Quo.

So to avoid myself looking like either an ageing rocker or a gang member in head to toe dark denim, what pants do you guys wear with your jackets? Preferably picture evidence please. :)

Khakis. Or if your denim on the jacket is raw or very dark a well worn (light) pair jeans or the other way around. Wear what you like fashion changes from moment to moment and is usually created by the clothing industry to boost there profits. Classic will always be in.

I really want some khakis, but I'm yet to find a pair that don't look like sacks on my legs. Any ideas on good ones?

One of my jackets is a very fitted dark Diesel one which I can pull off with lighter jeans, but the other one is this dark/dirty slightly distressed Firetrap one that was a present, and I've managed to wear it about 3 times ever with one of the few pairs of trousers I own.

It depends on what you're looking for. The fashion trend for the moment is trim. Most khakis that I would wear are not trim. The trim thing could all change next week. I say go with a classic fit and when things go one way or another you'll always look right. Thats why the classic 501 anti fit will never be out of style.

I think they look best rolled to the elbows with tighter black pants, like Aprill 77 Dischords, but that's just my personal aesthete, I lean slightly towards scene.

Sounds like the Firetrap jacket would go with a pair of black cords and a black hoodie, but if you're looking for good 'khaki'-esque pants army surplus would be the best bet, or older season mhi sno-pants (they used to have a slimmer cut as far as I remember)

Guest Fade to Black

the only thing i wear with denim jackets are jeans....*shrugs* i think it's a classic look and not a faux-pas like many say it is. To add to the hoodie suggestion above, adding a white button down shirt also helps break it up, especially if i'm wearin my faded denim jacket with some equally distressed denim jeans, but in a different tone. The exact same denim tone/treatment throughout is a bit iffy, i'll give 'em that...

the only thing i wear with denim jackets are jeans....*shrugs* i think it's a classic look and not a faux-pas like many say it is. To add to the hoodie suggestion above, adding a white button down shirt also helps break it up, especially if i'm wearin my faded denim jacket with some equally distressed denim jeans, but in a different tone. The exact same denim tone/treatment throughout is a bit iffy, i'll give 'em that...

Amen, sometimes I go all the way and wear a fitted raw denim jacket with raw jeans, a flannel shirt and some skinny zip-up boots (brown or cognac).

Ways to tone it down if you want to:

-Wear cords instead of jeans; pretty obvious no, that's when cords get useful

-Wear a button up and a v-neck sweater instead of a flannel shirt

-Wear a tee and hoodie instead of a flannel shirt, break out the grey or black hood for this

-Wear sneaks instead of boots, let's say beat-up white chucks or something

-Wear mismatched denim like FtB said, I prefer matching but to each is own

My Diesel jacket I've always worn with denim as it's dark, very fitted and a classic shape, so it works with most of my lighter denim.

My bottom half is a right nightmare at the moment. Found a great pair of wide leg trousers in my wardrobe that go well with my Firetrap jacket, which I'm presently layering this hideous suede jacket under because it has nice furry bits, hard to explain. Trouble is none of my sneaks go, my black shoes are on the other side of the country and I really can't afford to go blowing the £85 on the pair of boots I want right now, seeing as I'm owed £1000 by my university and am off on tour to Italy next week.

I just picked up this jacket about a month ago and I can't wear it with any of my jeans. I'm not the type to wear denim on denim, but i don't think it's a fashion crime. I might not be the best person to be talking about it though, cuz i tend to wear the same things casually as I do to go to work...

raw-jacket.jpg