Selvedge Sexism?

coleslawyum

This topic will be started by my lady friend. I'm not responsible for anything she says. :D

I enjoy reading everyone's posts. Over the past few months I have gained a new respect for denim, the folks who make it and the folks who rock it. But I'm sooooo damn jealous. What's the deal with selvedge sexism?! Raw selvedge is a canvas to express your style. Is there any selvedge for women, or are we doomed to drown and wash away in a sea of overpriced crap?

I think girls also like the added stretch in typical designer jeans so they can get them extremely tight. The fact that tight raw selvedge jeans will stretch I think makes it so women aren't very interested in them. Dependant upon your size you may be able to get a really small size in mens selvedge denim.

straight outseams and a curvy figure don't mesh very well. the prevailing desire for a form-fitting female silhouette is pretty much at odds with the boxy, straight outseams on your typical pair of selvedge jeans. the narrowest you'd find is the pbj 005s?

i'm looking into buying some sort of '47 501 repro (the edwins need a rest i think) - any suggestions?

There's not really a particular shortage of selvage jeans for women if you look on the internet, I just think women shop differently to men... By the time I buy a pair a jeans I've usually tried them on in the store multiple times in at least 3 different sizes (and probably with several different pairs of shoes), there's no way I'd order a pair from overseas and just expect them to fit right like most people on this board seem to. If you wanna try on selvage jeans in an actual shop you pretty much have to go somewhere like NY, but then that's largely true for men too.

Have you tried wearing men's jeans? Contrary to popular belief you'll probably need to size up a bit because they're cut narrower on the hips usually...

Actually, before superfuture, the only selvedge denim I'd see were on women... I swear I was jealous... where the hell were they getting theirs ??? I mean club monaco had selvedge women's jeans before men's I'm SURE of this. At least it showed up in my area available for women more often than men's.

Same thing in terms of raw denim... same for tapered denim... wtf??? WTF! Seriously if you are a girl and can't find a certain kind of style of clothing, then you're not trying/lurking/searching hard enough. I'm personally having a hard time finding a pair to get for my sisters due to the fact that I can't decide between the selection that's available out there, check out this thread: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=176873

I'm thinking of getting somewhere between APC's and Skulls for 'em.

but I digress from my main point:

GRRRR!!! TO hear a lady complain about their selection in clothing being more limited than for men (especially when it comes to denim) makes me just... get so... HULK MAD! GYARBYAA! ::rampages through the streets with nothing but his strong-ass pair of purple selvedge jeans::

straight outseams and a curvy figure don't mesh very well. the prevailing desire for a form-fitting female silhouette is pretty much at odds with the boxy, straight outseams on your typical pair of selvedge jeans. the narrowest you'd find is the pbj 005s?

i'm looking into buying some sort of '47 501 repro (the edwins need a rest i think) - any suggestions?

Hey I calmed down now. Wouldn't many of these selvedge denim that have a shrink-to-fit quality to them be able to mold well to the curve of female bodies? Just wondering.

I'm personally having a hard time finding a pair to get for my sisters due to the fact that I can't decide between the selection that's available out there, check out this thread: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=176873

Yeah but unless you're planning on having your "sisters" somehow try them all on before you decide, they probably either won't fit or will look like shit.

nice ladies selvage

5752006842819303999728_L.jpg

57520068428193127919288_L.jpg

i like these lots.

just sayin'

oh and i bought a pair of selvedge levis for my girlfriend at the levis store last year.

they were the premium cuffed. white selvedge line, lower rise, but a boxy 501ish cut.

and what about the apc new standard? its a unisex jean with selvedge.

GRRRR!!! TO hear a lady complain about their selection in clothing being more limited than for men (especially when it comes to denim) makes me just... get so... HULK MAD! GYARBYAA! ::rampages through the streets with nothing but his strong-ass pair of purple selvedge jeans::

this drives me nuts too- the difference between the price points and sheer number of places that women can shop at and look fashionable compared to men is ridiculously unfair. guys have to try so much harder to achieve a certain look than women do, in terms of actually finding the right stuff at the right price.

Not a big fan of those pace...

I remember seeing pics of the women's nando x nando 45rpm on their old website, but they aren't on there now. It comes in like 4 different fits, some of them looked pretty nice (and low cut...). Not sure they are selvedge though, it says they are made from the BC4000 denim (anyone know?). Either way, they should be awesome.

[quote name=onemancult

this drives me nuts too- the difference between the price points and sheer number of places that women can shop at and look fashionable compared to men is ridiculously unfair. guys have to try so much harder to achieve a certain look than women do, in terms of actually finding the right stuff at the right price.[/quote]

seriously. women have it so much easier. shoes, bags, accessories and denim. not to mention if a gal wants to wear men's clothing people think its hot but if i tell people my skinny jeans are womens they look at me funny.

and we usaully have to pay alot more. i will give you dry cleaning is generally cheaper for men but otherwise...

not fair.

Yeah but unless you're planning on having your "sisters" somehow try them all on before you decide, they probably either won't fit or will look like shit.

Well that's a problem for me too ^_^ I kinda think now that most of these fit them better than I would. Apc's are easiest to get/fit (for us in Southern Cal)... but even I don't want an APC, so what kind of example am I for getting 'em those? lol.

but I digress... HULK SMASH!

I disagree that women have an easier time shopping than men. A man can walk into a decent men's store and leave with something that will fit them and look good. Men can shop faster too, because the clothes come in a wider range of sizes with more specific measurements.

IMO Women should get more tailored clothing than men. When they don't get tailored clothing it's like putting a circle in a square. Although men look good in tailored clothing, the average silhouette can be squarish and still look good on a guy.

In regards to selvedge denim, even larger guys can cop a pair. Some Japanese companies even make a size 44, although most guys in Japan don't wear size 44.

Half naked chick ( one of numeros very own ) in Edwin 505 ladies model ..

How do they fit her in your guys/gals opinions ? They smoosh her butt flat :-|

193815848.jpg

193815824.jpg

193815814.jpg

BTW she's a solid 29.5 " waist - these are 29's that measured 28" after a soak ..

They stretched plenty