working at AA

shagnscoob

If you wear your apc's... i'll know its you. What days do you work?

I work everyday this week beside from tuesday and thursday for thanksgiving. Just ask for me (James) when you come.

from what i hear from other former coworkers from urban outfitters that now work at AA, they just take shit for free because no AA stores have cameras.

false. uptown manhattan store definitely has cameras. probably for dov charney to watch while girls try shit on.

if you're anywehre near a store he's in, apparently he's a total creep ball making girls wear certain things and threatening their jobs if they don't. overall, i've heard its one of the worst retail joints to work. their pay is only $8 to start in NYC even.

well the one he was working at didn't have cameras. i would walk out with bags full of shit whenever i came in.

its nothing to brag about, i mean everybody has friends who can hook you up, and we all hook our friends up too.

if you ever want to work at a place where people won't be bitchy.. work at somewhere that sells shit that people don't understand.

i work at the home theater department at best buy and when i'm explaining 1080p or subwoofer based multidirectional effects on bass impedence, they just shut the fuck up and let me do my job.

customers don't wanna know what you're doing for them. they just want to get the best they can for the least amount of money and the least amount of effort.

and bed, if you hook me up with your discount at barney's, i can get you stuff for way cheap at best buy across bear st. for you. are you interested in exchanging discounts? let me know.

one place i can confidently say, that you don't really want to work, is a thrift store like the salvation army. i personally hate it more than any job i've had, many of which dealt with running sound/lights for moronic dance program coordinators and play directors hahaha. those also did pay double and then some compared to what i make now though.. haha.

the only perk to the job is the stuff i bring home. you're not supposed to take stuff but almost everyone does it and they suffer no real loss considering everything they sell is donated. you get to see everything before its put on the floor which is nice too, brand new clothes comes in here and there, and a lot of stuff that looks it. aside from that though, there are no perks at all. i have bad allergies, so the mold and dust makes it hard to go without sneezing/coughing/breathing well, all day. the customers are either senile, don't speak english, or are just plain rude, which gets old very fast. they pay sucks too. i honestly don't know why im still there, probably cause i dont have to work friday/saturday night and i get to bring home clothes almost everyday hahaha.

+1

i worked at goodwill as soon as i moved to portland. fucking awful. we have to wait 3 days before we buy anything from the floor, strictly enforced, cameras everywhere, tons of cross-position work, constantly short staffed. dust/allergy problems, awful customers

never ever ever work at a Goodwill, atleast not in Portland/Vancouver WA

my situation is a bit different. pennsylvania's min. wage is $5.15. so the boost to $8.50 is pretty damn good out here. i have some friends working there and they get 50% discounts + the allowance (i feel like it was $200 to spend on 50% off clothes every 3 months, but i might need to double check.) so also yo ushould account for what your state min. wage is etc. also my friend has access to "damaged" goods. this ranges from uneven stitching... to "sun-damaged" shirts that were on models. he recently got a flex fit hoodie in that awesome blue color in his exact size (small) for $10.

but uhhh, if the 50% is all you want with AA-- there's other routes to get cheap prices. there's always the Ebay store Tuffy McPuggles or you can try and get a wholesale account. i got one a month ago and although i use it for screenprinting for stuff, i also buy clothes off of it for fun. the wholesale price list is here:

https://www.americanapparel.net/wholesaleresources/prices/US.asp

which is a higher discount than employee on the major items.

i'd say just find a place that seems like you would be happy working there and has decent pay. i know people who are miserable in both environments, the food service retail and the clothing retail ends and i've seen others happy in those situations. in the end, this won't be a life career- so a few hours out of your week for some extra pocket $$ + a decent discount on clothes you would wear often isn't such a bad thing.

Forget retail, coffee shops are the way to go, although not Starbucks. Find a local place...they'll have more personality, less ridiculous rules, and you'll have the satisfaction that you won't be working for a corporate giant. Sure, some of the clientele will suck ass since it's an indie coffee shop, but once you get to know the regulars your tips will fly through the roof. Plus, if you like coffee and all those sugary coffee-like drinks, you'll have plenty of them at your disposal to keep you awake if necessary.