The Girlfriend Birthday Present Thread

soultek

I thought superfuture might be a good place to get ideas on a bday present for my GF. I don't have much to tell you about her other than she's reasonably fashionable, not a label/trend nazi, and 30. Price range is pretty open probably 2-300$ range, but more if it's something really good. I figured there's a bunch of dudes on here w/ girlfriends who like to shop so.. thoughts?

Day Spa is always good.

Or, dependant on where you live, or what you live by. You can take her on a small getaway for the weekend. Doesn't have to be pricey, just has to be spontaneous and romantic.

I remember I did this for a past girlfriend by taking her to SF and taking her shopping at some of her favorite stores. This of course was limited.... :) I aint made of money.

Gets 'em every time.

P.S. I second the Christmas gift thread...

She's got 2 ipods already and goes to the spa all the time w/ her girls. weekend getaway is happening anyways soon so the specialness is kinda gone from that. I can figure out the typical presents and the non-material presents too, but I posted here hoping to find some cool 'stuff' to get her too.

appreciate all the feedback regardless.

:)

Can you give us some ideas of her taste? Does she like weird-designey sort of stuff, "street style" toys, really feminine sort of things, etc...?

I'll try and find some interesting things for you that might fit into several categories in the meantime.

Edit:

My suggestions would not have been helpful, so I'll save them for later if a Christmas gifts thread pops up.

My wife's birthday is coming up soon as well, she had calvin klein underwear and bras that she loved but wore to shreads. She never got anymore after so that is my plan. I dont think anyone could recommend much that would be suited to your girlfriend, i think your idea of a good presentas well as qeues from her as to what she would like are really the only thing going to help you find something she will truly enjoy

Her style is i guess Barney's Co-Op stuff. nothing too wacky, artsy, or fashionista; but nice, feminine and not too conservative. her favorite designer/brand is probably marc jacobs. I suppose she'd always welcome some MJ shoes, but she just bought some. I already got her to get a pair of Denimbirds. She's always wanted a real MJ bag but that's kinda a risky (and expensive) buy. Plus I donno shit about women's bags. Oh, and she likes H&M, or at least the designs they rip off. sorry if this is too general, i'll try to think up more details, but she isn't a very specific person, otherwise I'd have an idea by now. I've got 3 days..

Skydiving, that's original. Although I doubt either of us would have the balls to do that..

My wife's birthday is coming up soon as well, she had calvin klein underwear and bras that she loved but wore to shreads. She never got anymore after so that is my plan. I dont think anyone could recommend much that would be suited to your girlfriend, i think your idea of a good presentas well as qeues from her as to what she would like are really the only thing going to help you find something she will truly enjoy

agreed, I know. I'm not in total desperation, just wondering if someone knew of anything cool that I didn't. Your plan sounds good. In the meantime, I'm going to try and remember some shred of conversation from the past that I can dig up for my own plan..

Get her those new Marc Jacobs aviator sunglasses. My sister is really into Marc and whenever Christmas or her birthday rolls around I hit up something from there. The latest thing she has been eyeing are the sunglasses.

Also, clothing always seems like a lame gift. But any girl (and most men now a days) will tell you that they can never have enough clothing. Besides, there isn't much else out there!

MJ bag would be a dope gift but very very pricey as you stated.

My gf's b-day is oct. 9th. If I could I'd bring her out, but were separated by the seas.

So far this is what I have in mind, I'd rather not drop a bomb on one single item, instead get her a whole bunch of stuff:

1. Paris Hilton Banksy CD (if I could find it)

2. Noam Chomsky book or some other not-so-dry book

3. Calvin Klein Lingerie

Custom Printed M&M. I think it costs about 45 dollars for the minimum order of 4 bags @ ~7.50 each.

http://www.mymms.com/customprint/index.asp?src=111128

A special collection of confections. This one dindt catch my eye, as i was looking for the Norman Love collection but its done with. ~$40

cgodvianormandlove01fu7.jpg

the one i liked

cgodvianormandlove02zx4.jpg

vday edition

godiva doesnt have his collection anymore, but here is another one that isint up to tier with norman loves hand crafted and painted work

http://www.godiva.com/catalog/product.aspx?id=1188&SE_Section=Shop&SE_Category=83

photo poster collage of all your favotire memories

lifeposter.jpg

http://www.mikematas.com/2005/01/how-to-make-life-poster.html

no girl to do it for

I think it depends on what the girl is like, you can ger something very classic but others will enjoy something smaller and creative.

- travel somewhere

- jewelry

- perfumes

- clothing

- bags

- gig tickets

those would probably all classify as the traditional ideas but try to work with them. I had planned a trip on our anniversary so I got her a cute suitcase (she had wanted to get a new one) and sort of gave some hints on the trip :)

If she hasn't already heard of it, you could always buy her a star:

http://www.starregistry.com/

I hesitate to use the word "scam" but that's kind of what this thing is. There is no such official organization as the Star Registry. You are basically paying for a certificate that would have as much meaning as if you printed it out on your computer.

a gift i often give girls when i dont know what else is a gift certificate to Bond no 9 in manhattan ( if you live there) for aboujt 300 bucks they can go there and mix their own signature scent ( or pick from already made ones) its a nice store and they do a real nice presentation of the gift with samples and everything in a very classy gift box. kinda cool and personalized for them to make their own fragrance