Recommend me a bag.

KFC ONE

What up y'all

Need a bit of help over here.

My company recently bought me a 15" Macbook Pro and I'm now on the hunt for a bag to carry it in when needed.

I read through other post about laptop bags but the more laptop specific bags I see the more I hate them.

Here is my deal:

I work from home so the bag won't be needed for everyday use at all.

Will be used mostly for business travel or weekend getaways

Messenger bags seem a bit to scholastic/extreme sports for me.

The black business man briefs are also a no go.

Some room for the usual airplane carry-on items plus usual laptop cables would be cool

Anyone have suggestions for alternatives to the laptop bag?

Sleeve and a some other kind of bag maybe? DJ Bag?

Everything I've seen so far looks exactly like what I'm not looking for.

Any suggestions are appreciated and I hope someone else out there can find this thread useful as well.

If you basically just want something that is kind of trendy/not too "businessy" look no further than Porter / Head Porter. A little expensive but very innovative and great quality.....do a forum search for "Porter online" to check out some stuff. Also, depending on your budget, I was at Coach the other day and saw a damn nice dark brown leather messenger type bag for about $400....almost picked it up myself.

Thanks for the Porter/Head Porter nod....

Will check out the selection in SoHo this week.

Check the bag thread that was posted just a few days ago. polio^3 recommended a really, really nice-looking bag called the Owen Bag by a brand whose name currently escapes me... looked really nice, minimally-styled, not overtly branded, not Jack Spade, and fits a laptop.

That Owen bag looks promising...the picture is so small though..

Do most of you just use a sleeve with a laptop sized bag and not necessarily a laptop bag?

I'm leaning more towards this route but question the practicality and protection.

Please keep all suggestions coming....it is appreciated!!!!

If you're looking for more of a "laptop" laptop bag, Tumi makes a really nice one in ballistic nylon and leather. It has a ton of pockets and has padding everywhere for the computer. I'm still debating just for the sole fact it provides so much protection and pockets. The only thing is, is I don't find it very stylish.

i own a burton dj bag and i love it. it has a lapton pocket inside, but still a lot of place for other things.

http://www.burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=436

This bag is more like the dj bag of previous year (i own one from last year). it says it can only fit a 12 inches laptop, but i kind of doubt that since i can fit my 15 inches dell without a problem

http://www.burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=448

the quality of these bag is hard to beat for the price.

otherwise, i also have a sleeve that i used before with a backpack (i found that a laptop plus book was too heavy for a bag with a shoulder strap). like minya said, it's hard to find a bag that you like that has a laptop compartment so if you find something you like, but doesn't have a laptop pocket, just buy a sleeve and you'll be fine. i'd say it protect the laptop as well, if not better than most bags with pocket.

edit: if you can afford it, Head Porter is the shit, i really regret not buying a shoulder bag before i left Tokyo last summer. someone recently posted it in the waywt thread and i was like so jealous......

Oh, I forgot -- if you don't mind spending shittons of money on a backpack, the Visvim Hypatex packs are pretty much incredible. Unbelievably well-made, really sweet detailing, minimalist styling (it's really slim and kind of small, so it looks particularly classy esp. for a backpack) and there's a built-in laptop sleeve/protector.

It's really, really pricy though. ($300ish)