This is what fake Levis look like

They are selvage denim and have all the things that Levi's have, but all in one place!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52392&item=8175440619&rd=1

Live is too short for bad denim!

1109561786451_bigEsig.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 9, 2005 at 07:53 PM

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 9, 2005 at 07:54 PM

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 9, 2005 at 07:55 PM

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 9, 2005 at 08:04 PM

the jeans are based on 1920's levis but........

white leather instead of cloth patch,

buckle in the wrong place (like japanese 702)

Red tab didn't exist till 1937

Twin needle stitched articulate wasn't used till 1947 (you will never see this in combo with exposed rivets or a buckle back)

Should have a crotch rivet

Rivets are nipple top alloy like those after 1965

back pockets are long like the 505 and 517 and orange tab jeans

they look kind of low rise too, they should have a 12-13 inch rise (to give the taint some room to breathe!)

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 9, 2005 at 09:31 PM

...you're like a walking-denim-god!!!icon_smile_approve.gif thanks for the detailed explanations.

i'd be fooled to these fakes and probably will fall for it.

ok. i'm going to the bookshop to get me a good education on denims.

do you think you can help recommend some titles?

[btw, my repro and my holden fits well now after putting them in the dryer] phew...

write your own script

that's good to hear about your jeans, did the color change when you shank them?

What's funny is that the books on denim are all rare and out of print. Vintage Denim by Little sells for over $100. I have a bunch of books, but the best ones are Boon magazines from Japan. they are really informative and I don't even speak Japanese. they have pictures and dates of treal jeans. Whats funny, is that Vintage Denim shows every one in the pics wearing contemporary (90's) jeans. The book is really dated and has information that is pretty readily available.

so far, you are in a good place, this is the only forum I have found on the net that hase a bunch of jean maniacs in it.

Cheers, Joel

i skipped the normal wet wash process.

i just wet it,drop in for a spin and into the dryer.

the colour still the same for both and fits awesomely well.

ok i'll try Boon instead. i reckon it can be easily found in stores compared

to the more specific denim books. which i hardly see on the shelves.

have you seen the new S/S '05 LVC collections? i'm gonna check them out

later [on the net] heard there are quite nice.

thanks again for the help. really appreciate it. cheers.

write your own script

just saw the new spring 'Weekend Warriors' [not spring/summer, apologies] lvc collections.

nice touch but yea, it's the pre-worn thing-y but the 1890 501 cinchback kinda nice. single back pocket

and suspender buttons. wish it was raw...

write your own script

Quote:

They are selvage denim and have all the things that Levi's have, but all in one place!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52392&item=8175440619&rd=1

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Mar 9, 2005 07:52 PM

I wonder where these jeans came from, possibly pre LVC Japanese?? What do you think Serge?

Quote:

In terms of history, what is the year of the 'First Blue Jean' model by levis. I thought it was 1887, but then they released that 1886 model this year?!

What preceded the twin needled arcuate?

Ta!

--- Original message by docdoom on Mar 10, 2005 11:24 AM

According to Levis, the first blue jeans were produced in 1873, and made of 9oz selvage denim.

I've seen a pic of an 1890s Levis with a single needle arcuate.

Cool, what year was it that the 501 stepped up from 10oz to a higher wieght, or was it not a very clean-cut distinction?

And when serge says that the double needled arcuate didnt come in till 1950whatever, what does he mean, as i have seen jeans with arcuates with two lines on them from before that. Is it stitched in a different way?

Ta

Quote:

Cool, what year was it that the 501 stepped up from 10oz to a higher wieght, or was it not a very clean-cut distinction?

And when serge says that the double needled arcuate didnt come in till 1950whatever, what does he mean, as i have seen jeans with arcuates with two lines on them from before that. Is it stitched in a different way?

Ta

--- Original message by docdoom on Mar 10, 2005 11:37 AM

10oz denim was introduced around 1927. Not sure when they upped the weight again.

Prior to 1947, I think the double arcuates were stitched with single needles. ie. a single needle stitches an arc twice, rather than a twin needle setup - you can tell at the apex of the arc, it forms a diamond shape. 1947 also sees the cinch back dumped.

Levi Strauss introduced the 'Double Arcuate' stitch in 1873 before this I believe the back pocket was plain. The red tab was introduced in 1936. The buckle or 'martingale' was removed from 501's in 1943 as part of WW2 economies. Levi's stopped buying denim from Amoskag Manufacturing Co in 1922 and Cone Mills became their sole supplier of denim, at this time it was 9oz, in 1929 they changed to 12.5 oz.

thanks for the knowledge guys!

ive got some '33 repros and im pretty sure they are 10oz though? Maybe 12.5 makes more sense thinking about it....

So were suspended buttons removed somwhere in the mid-late 30s i guess, and belt loops introduced in the 20s?

The reason i ask these questions is just to gauge a rough chronology of the evoloution of an iconic item (sounded a bit like the tag-line of a book or something there!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...