Please help my Dior Denim Friends...

Tyler

Hello

I need your help. There has been a bit of talk lately about Dior selvedge and I am now totally confused as to whether to get a pair. I have tried on loads of jeans in my time, APC's, PRPS, Nudie, 7, Levi's, Lee, Helmut Lang, Diesel, Edwin etc etc and Dior's are definitely the very best cut for me. I'm a 28 waist and have pretty skinny legs. BUT I don't want to wear skinny tapered jeans anymore as I get so much grief and I don't feel confident in them Plus the girls always say that they prefer a man in a straight legged jean rather than tapered...

So, am looking to get a straight leg and have always fancied getting a pair of selvedge jeans but have never been able to find any that suit me cut wise. Straight legged Dior's (and the tapered for that matter) are cut so well for my body shape.

So, my conundrum is this:

Do I go for a pair of Dior raw selvedge for £210GBP or a pair of washed blue denim in the new "Dust" wash from Dior at £255GBP?

Is the selvedge really that poor quality on the Diors? If so - why? And please don't comment unless you've actually seen them!

If not the Dior selvedge what else is cut the same and could I get for my money?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

T

Don't get Dior's selvage jeans. The denim is extremely uninspiring.

Why are you getting "grief" for wearing tapered jeans? Wear whatever you want.

If you want a less-skinny, less-tapered selvage jean, pick up an APC New Standard.

Why will you be empowered by what women say? If you know you can pull it off, you can pull it off..it's all about confidence. If you listen to what they want, that's plain weakness.

where are you from? theres lots of grief aimed at skinny/tapered jeans where im from but that shouldnt stop one. You should be the exception, just wear what you want.

there was a whole thread about the dior selvage jeans and users of this forum could tell from the pics that the quality was shitty, but i think there were owners of the dior selvage's that were dissapointed in the quality. if you want dior just go with the japanese brut denim. www.luisaviaroma.com

if you want a slightly looser fit you could try; julian red cali no wash

but i'd go with pace denim if you want the straight legged fit

Some other English poster said Brown's or Selfridges had the non-selvedge for like 150 pounds and the selvedge for 210.

There's really no difference in the end, the fading might be better on the non-selvedge really. I think I'm the only one on superfuture with the selvedge version, while many people have the non-selvedge versions. I didn't choose the selvedge on purpose, I just bought what the Dior store had in my size and then found out about it later, it's really a miniscule detail that doesn't mean anything nor is it worth 55 pounds.

If the Dior fit suits you, buy the non-selvedge.

Hi guys

Thanks for all your replies. You are right about just wwearing what one wants but I have to say that I do feel kind of uncomfortable in tapered jeans now. And I'm not usually a sheep or a wimp!

Just been to Browns to see the selvedge and I have to say I thought they looked pretty nice. They have the straight leg Japanese selvedge (is there any other? Not sure) And the fit was, as always, perfect. I liked the detailing on the selvedge too if you have a tiny turn up at the bottom it looks pretty smart. The actual denim didn't seem so bad and is slightly different in colour from most I've seen and I like that. But as for the quality of the denim? I wouldn't have a clue as I wouldn't know what I'm looking for.

Still undecided but what might sway me is that I also tried the new blue "dust" wash jeans and they are cut completely differently from the other Diors I've tried and have. They are slightly lower in the waist and higher in the back and the rear pockets have been moved down slightly so they hit lower on the rear making the bum (or ass as they say in the US) look flatter and not nearly as flattering...

The guy in Browns told me that this was the new cut for AW06. If that's so I may not be buying many from this particular collection as it's the rear of the Diors that always seem to fit so well.

Hmmm... is £55GBP so much more to pay for that selvedge detail? Don't they always say the devil is in the detail? I did like 'em just slightly turned up at the bottom - that silver selvedge looks pretty nice down there...

I have some Dior Japanese made black raw denim jeans. I think the quality is pretty good, but I don't much like the top latch instead of a button. Anybody else prefer the latch? Also, I was a bit disappointed that the Dior rivets and buttons are all unmarked. I really feel like the couple pair of Helmut Lang jeans I have are better detailed.

Chris - hahaha! I like it!

bart1 - I actually prefer the latch fastening as it's a detail in itself. And the lack of "branding" on the rivets and buttons I prefer too. Oh and the fact that on the rear pockets you just have the darts rather than enormous swirls or giant seagulls...

Also, the Dior black jeans that I have were the only black jeans I could find with black buttons and black rivets rather than copper or silver coloured and I like that too!

yeah man wear what ever YOU want.

i can't say that enough.

when you put clothes on your back, its yours. so make it yours. wear it for you.

if you feel like you can pull it off, then its usually going to look like you can pull it off.

in my opinion, regular straight leg jeans look boring.

i wear tapered jeans, and i think they look great because they look great with high top sneakers, some slim boots with the jeans over the ankle part, they also look great tucked into some dope ass boots, and they look good with slim casual sneakers (spring courts, chucks, vans slips, etc.)

if you want dior just go with the japanese brut denim. www.luisaviaroma.com

i have the japanese brut denim, and i am a big fan of the cut, the legs at 19cm aren't that tight at all, and i am a 30 waist, so it doesn't seem like it would be a problem for you, go to the dior store and try them on.

in regard to women giving you a hard time, these particular ones probably arent able to wear nice slim denim. they're just jealous. ha

I have some Dior Japanese made black raw denim jeans. I think the quality is pretty good, but I don't much like the top latch instead of a button. Anybody else prefer the latch? Also, I was a bit disappointed that the Dior rivets and buttons are all unmarked. I really feel like the couple pair of Helmut Lang jeans I have are better detailed.

i am not a huge fan, it gets stuck behind the actual clasp rather than where it should go. you know what i mean.

the buttons on the fly are super nice though. i like the blank rivets

Guest Fade to Black

Get the dust wash jeans...i tried these on yesterday in the 19 cm, the fit was godly...easily the best fitting Dior jeans I've ever seen and tried on, and i've worn a lot... If I had the cash right now i'd scoop up a pair right away...the selvedge denim from the comments here don't seem like they're worth that high price, if you really want a pair of Dior raw denims instead of the washed then maybe get the Japanese non selvedge...but I think Dior's trademark jeans are in their washed models, and the dust wash jeans will last you a very long time.

Guest Fade to Black

hmm perhaps i was a bit caught up in the moment but i've noticed that these jeans are more flattering for the ass than other Dior jeans i've tried or owned. If you're wearing Dior jeans then you should be going for the slouchy, no-ass look anyway...previous Dior jeans had that effect where it was kind of saggy in the rear, the dust wash jeans hugged the butt and thighs perfectly while still allowing some give for comfortable movement, that's where i thought it was so brilliant in the cut. I wouldn't go to Dior if you're looking for an ass boost...the last time i saw that was a 50 year old man wearing the raw denims and it looked bad...

Also about the raw denims, it's easy to find a slim cut raw jean with japanese denim of better quality in many other places...but Dior's washed jeans are matched by none. Not that they're particularly realistic or anything, but the details make them pretty much the perfect jeans for any occasion that i've never seen done by any other jean brand, from Diesel to 45 RPM.

Now you see - maybe I've been wearing my Dior's wrong all this time but I hate the slouchy no bum look. The whole point of Dior jeans is that they skim the ass rather than being tight tight and the the darts are meant to add a more rounded shape - no? I like a jean to looks like it actually fits me...

Maybe I'm in the minority here...

Oh dear

Guest Fade to Black
Now you see - maybe I've been wearing my Dior's wrong all this time but I hate the slouchy no bum look. The whole point of Dior jeans is that they skim the ass rather than being tight tight and the the darts are meant to add a more rounded shape - no? I like a jean to looks like it actually fits me...

Maybe I'm in the minority here...

Oh dear

nah no worries...i don't know about the minority thing, but who cares like someone above said, just wear it as you feel comfortable. Personally I do the slouchy bum thing because i like wearing my slim jeans kinda loose rather than skin tight as i like that kinda sloppy look...for an example, i guess look at the pics of Hedi Slimane at his Misshapes gig last summer, i wear my jeans kinda like that nowadays.

you can wear it more form hugging too, like on the runway...there really isn't a set way it's just how you want to wear it. Well for Dior jeans I wouldn't condone wearing them sized way up as if they were baggy hip hop style jeans, but that's just my opinion. It shouldn't matter as long as YOU are comfortable and happy.

But seriously...you should get the dust wash jeans so I can live vicariously through your ass and thighs :P (no homo?)

Fade to Black - that really made me laugh! Hahahaha (no homo!)

You guys are so right - should just stop worrying and wear what I feel comfortable in. That's the best style - look confident and it won't matter if they're slouchy or butt skimming (so to speak)

Thanks guys for not flaming me and for just talking sense!

I may have to buy both now of course! haha!

Have a great weekend all.

T

Hello again

Fade to Black – I went back to the store on Saturday thinking that perhaps I had misjudged the Dust wash jeans and thought I should try them on again as your post had me curious and got me thinking! So off I went first thing Saturday morning to give them another try. And I have to say that you were right! The wash is fantastic and when I checked the ass in the mirrors that allow a 360 view I thought perhaps it wasn’t so flat after all! And so, yes I am now the owner of a pair of Dust wash jeans but in the 21 leg. This has killed two birds with one stone – given me a cool pair of jeans that I am really happy with, fit well and are slightly looser throughout the leg and at the bottom of the hemline so allaying any of my “too tight for blokes” misgivings.

Whilst there I also tried on a pair of beige coloured (God I hate that word – beige – but that’s what it says on the label) Dior denim trousers as I really need to wear a different colour other than blue denim all the time and these fit well too and so I walked away with them as well! Beige sounds awful but actually they’re pretty nice – anyone else bought a non-blue or black pair of Dior Homme denims?

Needless to say – I had to exchange the selvedge to stop myself from spending ludicrous sums on Dior denim!

Anyway, thought I’d post this quick update to say thanks for pointing me back in the direction of the Dust wash. They only had the one pair in my size so if I hadn’t gone back this weekend I think they would have gone quick.

Best

T

Guest Fade to Black

i finally saw the selvedge jeans in person, and i have to say you made the right choice...i don't even see the point in making those jeans selvedge, the denim felt paper thin to the point of being flimsy, and the color doesn't look very natural....i don't think those would produce very interesting wear, if any at all. If the non-selvedge indigo raw denims were done in a selvedge, then they would be worth considering as those are pretty solid jeans. But the current silver selvedge model is one of the most underwhelming jeans i've seen in a while, esp. given their hype...

Hi again

You are right. I am really, really pleased I made the change. So my thanks to you for the inspiration.

One thing though is that the Dust wash jeans I bought don't have any clawmarks on and are made in Italy. Is that the same as the Dust wash jeans that are available in the States?

T

I tried on the black dust wash over the weekend and while they look ok, I wasn't as overwhelmed by them as you guys... I just don't really find pre-distressed jeans that interesting anymore, as well as the fact that 37" inseam jeans with honeycombs don't look great on my 5'10 frame...

1-month update on my Dior selvage is that they weren't doing much for awhile but in the past few days I've noticed them dropping indigo like crazy after only a month of pretty consistent, gentle wear. I put them on in the morning, go sit in a padded leather office chair for six hours, and then come home and usually take them off, with a night or two during the week where I might go out and end up sitting on concrete for a bit or something, so there's no serious wallet or ciggie pack fade, just nice honeycombs and hige coming in, especially for a young jean.

On the downside, because of the lightweight/crisp texture of this denim, it's making really pinched creases, especially around the holy cows. Likewise, because of the texture/quality of the denim as I've mentioned before, I have a feeling that by the time the lap whiskers set in and I wash these finally, the bleached white weft lap/thigh fading won't be too inspiring...

I don't mean to pick these apart like a 45rpm jean or something of the sort, but since they're here and I don't think too many other people on the board will end up with them, I figured I'd share...

I have a friend going to Paris in a couple of weeks so I am going to have her pick up a pair of black raw DH's if possible, so I can work on the cheaper ones a bit and be a bit rougher on them and compare them to what I have now...

if the selvage ones are fading like that after a month, than maybe they are tryng to make a jean for the superfuture crowd, at least in regards to fading. the biggest problem people on here have had with thier jeans is that they dont really fade at all.

or could be bad fabric with a bad dye job, but id like to think that they are trying to make us happy.

^yeah, I'm kinda benchmarking TragicBliss's non-selvedge Japanese Diors against mine to see how they do. I think if I skated or did something really active in my jeans I'd probably get some crazy fade, but the truth is that I sit in an office chair at a computer most of the day and then go on benders at night. The wear is fast on mine, but not superfuturer fast like it would be on APC's where the watch pocket fades in a week....

Most importantly, I'm waiting to see if the selvedge train tracks will come out on these, since that's what I paid $100 extra for, hahaha.

But other than that, while the silver selvedge were high, I think I remember people paying $390ish for non-selvedge Dior 19cms, so I think we can throw this back in the blender for the time being, I'm giving them 6 or 9 months before I call them a total disappointment and go swimming with all my raw denims in Thailand. I still like them because the fit is nuts, and yeah they were $500, but that's about all I expected out of them in the first place. They're not a great value, but who is buying Diors for their price? I don't really think the Dior Homme shop floor is the best place to quibble over $100....

Side note, I'd wear Japanese repros like everyone else because they are nice and they will come out nicer in the end, but I'm 5'10 and 130 lbs, Asian-framed with no ass, and they just look like shit on me. Literally. They make me look like I shat myself and am kicking my stick legs around inside potato sacks, haha.

Hi

The blue Dust wash jeans I bought don't have any honeycombs on the back of the knees which I am really pleased about as I find that the honeycombs never really line up all that well sometimes. But strangely the whiskering on the front of Diors is the best of any jean I have ever tried on - it always lines up exactly as if I had been wearing them. So perhaps the black ones feature a different wash.

As for my Dior dry jeans - I have had mine for 10 months now and I'm really happy with the fading. I don't know how other dry jeans fade as this was my first pair but they are nicely creased and faded and lined and whiskered. I'll take a pic tonight and post it tomorrow. Strangely the honeycombs on the back of the knee aren't evident at all but wear on the back pockets and front whiskers are very much there!

After about only 3 weeks of wear on my 21cm Japanese raws, I'm noticing a fair bit of fading. Nothing substantial, obviously, but it's leaving me excited for what they'll look like after six months. These puppies are definitely a pair of jeans that need to be worn into the ground before they're washed......

i'm with fade on the slouchy fit on the diors, i really like that. but to each his own. also about the quality of dior denim, only real denim experts will notice it. i think dior are by far the best jeans, because they look amazing, they have the perfect fit. i've got a pair of really faded and destroyed vintage looking dior 21 cm. best jeans i own.

anyway tyler like all the people in this thread, wear what you want man. i agree with the argument that straight-legged jeans look boring. the tapered jeans look a lot more stylish and cool in my opinion. and if you want some skin tight jeans get a pair of acne's. i've got a pair of black mic, 16 cm leg opening. i also wear those slouchy, but the legs are really tight. anyway good luck with it!