Djent

OSS117

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, last night was fucking amazing. Saw Periphery, Protest the Hero, The Safety Fire, Today I caught the Plague, and the Jeff Loomis band.

Probably the best show I have ever seen. Met a lot of the band members from The Safety Fire and Today I caught the Plague, really a bunch of nice dudes. Definitely going to be seeing them again and I must say they're much better live. Periphery wound up livening up the crowd though, otherwise it was a very boring crowd.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

interesting thread with all the drummers talking, and emphasizing the technical aspects.

i have just started playing guitar again and play mostly post/noise rock. i started playing with metal dudes during the thrash/crossover period i love metal rhythm guitar.

i am currently obsessed with meshuggah, some of the stuff posted in this thread is interesting to compare as the chugging owes something to meshuggah in the tone, but the more straightforward melodic moments remind of of radio rock, something akin to christian metal in the '80s.

the tone of the chugging itself is brutal and dry, the first guitars i remember hearing like this was metallica and justice for all, for all of the arguments about the sound of that record, james hetfield made a guitar sound like pieces of polystyrene rubbing together, dry resonant, at a time when the rest of the metal/hardcore world still had guitar tones that owed so much to classic rock.

please forgive my derail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interesting thread with all the drummers talking, and emphasizing the technical aspects.

i have just started playing guitar again and play mostly post/noise rock. i started playing with metal dudes during the thrash/crossover period i love metal rhythm guitar.

i am currently obsessed with meshuggah, some of the stuff posted in this thread is interesting to compare as the chugging owes something to meshuggah in the tone, but the more straightforward melodic moments remind of of radio rock, something akin to christian metal in the '80s.

the tone of the chugging itself is brutal and dry, the first guitars i remember hearing like this was metallica and justice for all, for all of the arguments about the sound of that record, james hetfield made a guitar sound like pieces of polystyrene rubbing together, dry resonant, at a time when the rest of the metal/hardcore world still had guitar tones that owed so much to classic rock.

please forgive my derail.

No worries.

Meshuggah owns. They are one of the first bands to ever use the djent sound on the guitar. The technical aspect of Meshuggah is ridiculous, they gave inspiration to a lot of bands from what I know. As a drummer listening to Thomas Haake on the drums your brain can't even piece together how a human can make music like him.

watched that btbam video earlier today. cant wait for hyper 2, but, honestly, i dont think anything will ever beat the great misdirect for me. best album of all time imo.

edit: laxlife learn to use multiquote, youre makin me dizzy bruh

Haha my bad man, I like to spam :D

And yes, the great misdirect is pretty epic. I couldn't wait for parallax II so I just torrented it lol. The fanboy in me absolutely love it, but in reality it's pretty similar to their last albums, I feel as if they were trying to hard to recreate their sound. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely phenomenal, but you are right, it is not their best to date. Other than that it's still enjoyable as hell, I liked the direction they were taking Parallax I more so than II.