Djent

OSS117

Anyone here love the world of "djent" metal? I definite derivation of all that is Meshuggah but with 808's and youthful overtones.

For those unsure of what is Djent

Volumes

Structures

Animals as Leaders (damn you Tobin)

Can't stop watching Travis Orbin's drum videos either...

Definitely letting this Intervals 20:00 minute, knuckle baby making, play throughout the store today!

OH and After the Burial always does it right

Edited by OSS117

I've been a fan of periphery since probably '09 before they officially released a new album.

Chris Baretto was from periphery before he went on to a different project (and some other dude before that who's name escapes me) but Chris is in a band called ever forthright who are pretty damn good.

BTBAM isn't Djent, but they fall into this category of the type of music and the insane time signatures used.

Check this guy out, he's pretty insane at what he does.

Edited by laxlife1234

I strongly dislike Meshuggah for some reason. I love all of the mentioned bands in the thread and have listened to their most recent albums multiple times but Meshuggah just seems way too repetitive and boring..

From what I've heard, I'm the only one with this opinion of them hahaha

lozinski- that cover makes me want to go home and play for hours, also another clip from you that made customers question the store, ha.

Lax- I,ve been a BTBAM FAN FOR YEARS AND SOMEHOW HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS CLIP so THANK YOU! bLEED IS DEFINITELY A WARM UP EXERCISE FOR MESHUGGAH ;]

Edited by OSS117

that troy wright guy is fucking intense. i'd seen his tempting time cover and that really impressed me. he's always got the sheets around too so that's a + imo.

btbam is pretty much this age's prog. dream theater vibes, maybe some of blake richardson's playing reminds me of portnoy, dunno.

who here in this thread plays drums, btw? with the number of mentions of travis orbin and drum videos i'd imagine there's some of you here who play as well

I strongly dislike Meshuggah for some reason. I love all of the mentioned bands in the thread and have listened to their most recent albums multiple times but Meshuggah just seems way too repetitive and boring..

From what I've heard, I'm the only one with this opinion of them hahaha

I understand what you mean. I really only like Bleed, but Thomas Hakke on the drums is insane. Although bands like BOO or Veil of Maya has some pretty incredible drumming as well. I'm more so a fan of not so repetitive drumming.

Anyone else hear veil of maya's new album? Misha mansoor produced it and it's a bit too djenty for that band IMO. I wish it wasn't so djenty cause I liked the original sound of Marc Okubos guitar and his insane playing of covering 2 seperate guitars.

lozinski- that cover makes me want to go home and play for hours, also another clip from you that made customers question the store, ha.

Lax- I,ve been a BTBAM FAN FOR YEARS AND SOMEHOW HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS CLIP so THANK YOU! bLEED IS DEFINITELY A WARM UP EXERCISE FOR MESHUGGAH ;]

Haha well BTBAM is amazing, I just discovered them about 2 months ago. I really wish I've known about them for a while.

that troy wright guy is fucking intense. i'd seen his tempting time cover and that really impressed me. he's always got the sheets around too so that's a + imo.

btbam is pretty much this age's prog. dream theater vibes, maybe some of blake richardson's playing reminds me of portnoy, dunno.

who here in this thread plays drums, btw? with the number of mentions of travis orbin and drum videos i'd imagine there's some of you here who play as well

I just started selling off my drums :( I'm nowhere near these guys though I can't even think of trying to cover a song I listen to. I can do standard 4/4 music with some complexity to it, but if you take anything hard than the Devil wears prada I most likely can't jam along to it lol. Which is also why I'm selling off my drums since I can't stand not being able to play my favorite bands.

I've never been a fan of Veil of Maya simply due to the fact that they sound very dry. It's kind of frustrating since they're such talented musicians.

I play drums and within the first few posts I thought to myself that this was going to turn into a new drumming thread hahaha. I'm not near the mentioned drummers (who is really?? haha) but I could play in a Djent band I think!

I used to play a lot of post-metal and hardcore tho! The drumset is in the process of changing from a metalcore setup to a djent setup.

yeah drumming thread here we come

i don't like meshuggah so much. thomas haake is an amazingly skilled player and i can appreciate the skill present in the music but i find it pretty repetitive as well.

i haven't really had the chance to mess around much with djent, i take some ideas tho. polyrhythms i'm still new to, mostly play jazz/funk kind of stuff and some fusion too but that's mostly for practice. i say keep practicing, laxlife... but really is your choice.

on the topic of metal and such, i really like cynic. all their albums are amazing and sean reinert is a monster player.

also this insanity:

Edited by gndm

yeah drumming thread here we come

i don't like meshuggah so much. thomas haake is an amazingly skilled player and i can appreciate the skill present in the music but i find it pretty repetitive as well.

i haven't really had the chance to mess around much with djent, i take some ideas tho. polyrhythms i'm still new to, mostly play jazz/funk kind of stuff and some fusion too but that's mostly for practice. i say keep practicing, laxlife... but really is your choice.

on the topic of metal and such, i really like cynic. all their albums are amazing and sean reinert is a monster player.

also this insanity:

I was starting to look into polyrhythyms and learn how to play them, but I just kinda stopped. I would love to keep practicing but for now Camera gear > drumming gear.

I can so see a drumming thread happen lol. What about Cameraon Losch? His stuff is pretty insane.

I've never been a fan of Veil of Maya simply due to the fact that they sound very dry. It's kind of frustrating since they're such talented musicians.

I play drums and within the first few posts I thought to myself that this was going to turn into a new drumming thread hahaha. I'm not near the mentioned drummers (who is really?? haha) but I could play in a Djent band I think!

I used to play a lot of post-metal and hardcore tho! The drumset is in the process of changing from a metalcore setup to a djent setup.

Really? I just straight up like them. I really love how fast paced they are without being insane death metal/black metal. I mean the complexities of the music can really only be enjoyed by people who really enjoy drumming. If I didn't love the drums I doubt I'd be into this music, and I mean not everyone can stand the screaming but personally I like it. Okubo is an insanely talented guitarist, I mean he literally fills in for the rhythm and lead guitarist. The bassist is also insane, he was on youtube before he was in the band actually. sam Applebaum is also an insanely talented drummer.

I know these guys don't really fit into this category of music, but anyone ever hear of He Is Legend? They're just all around talented dudes. A lot more clean vocals with them and the drumming is a lot less complex (but it's definitely not easy).

Since I'm a drummer its only right for this post to turn into a drum thread ;]

I have seen He is Legend multiple times and will miss them; the drummer was always on point!

Pearl Master 7 piece by the way ;]

This is in that meshuggah type of feel and much less repetitive hahaha. I've been enjoying the album a lot lately.

I'll give the recent veil of maya album a listen and report back haha.

I have a Gretsch Catalina Club (8'', 12'', 16'', 22'') with a Pork Pie custom snare. Shit ton of Sabian cymbals (love dat warranty) and Meinl hi-hats.

Might as well say my old set-up. Shit ass acoustic kit I bought for $300 chad smith ltd. ed. pearl drums, trick pro 1V-2, meinl byzance 21" medium ride, 18" sabian crash, 14" soundcaster custom hi-hats, 16" zildjian oriental china. I should have invested in a better acoustic kit.

Btw, Vildhjarta is great, my favorite album (ep?) is Omnislash.

My favorite volumes song - well, edge of the earth is, but this is #2. The breakdown at 2:20 is the reason why this song is so damn good.

I also love Tesseract

Waiting for these guys to release a new album as well. If you haven't heard of them, check them out. They're from LI and they are insanely good... actually are any of these bands bad? I have yet to hear a bad.

ALL of these bands are near perfection! I can't even reply because I'm so dumbfounded....

DRUM.jpg

Old pic and set up but same kit nonetheless

Really? I just straight up like them. I really love how fast paced they are without being insane death metal/black metal. I mean the complexities of the music can really only be enjoyed by people who really enjoy drumming. If I didn't love the drums I doubt I'd be into this music, and I mean not everyone can stand the screaming but personally I like it. Okubo is an insanely talented guitarist, I mean he literally fills in for the rhythm and lead guitarist. The bassist is also insane, he was on youtube before he was in the band actually. sam Applebaum is also an insanely talented drummer.

Listened to the recently released album and I must say I'm in the wrong on this one! Great album! Listening to it through proper headphones instead of my shit computer speakers really made a world of difference. Kind of weird but thanks for making me re-think my opinion ;)

^Nice kit! I use 18 and 20'' crashes as my splash cymbals lololol kit's so loud. Pics monday when I have time!

Listened to the recently released album and I must say I'm in the wrong on this one! Great album! Listening to it through proper headphones instead of my shit computer speakers really made a world of difference. Kind of weird but thanks for making me re-think my opinion ;)

^Nice kit! I use 18 and 20'' crashes as my splash cymbals lololol kit's so loud. Pics monday when I have time!

You can't judge music through speakers lol, I've made that mistake one too many times. VOM definitely is much more technical on this album, but to be honest I would have preferred to drums to be EQ'd differently as well as the guitar cause it sounds wayyy too djenty and periphery like to be honest. I'm a fan of djent, but imo a band should not change sounds that drastically. otherwise I love the album, just wish it wasn't 28 minutes <_< I mean really? Couldn't even break the 30 min baarrier... :angry:

I walked into a show last year with After the Burial ending their set and was instantly asking people who just played. That moment where you realized you missed the best band of the night hurts.

Pics of kits or it didn't happen

LOL. Finally got around to taking the pictures.

Here's the kit!!

tumblr_m0wgyueaLR1r5x493o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m0wgcqIR1f1r5x493o4_500.jpg

I used to play in a technical post-metal band, guitarist was using two 200watt heads soooo basically, my crashes are a 24'' ride and a 21'' ride, my splashes are 20 and 18'' crashes.. Used to have a 24x20 bass drum and shit.. Too poor to djent up the kit with effect cymbals but these totally do the trick! I've been moving the cymbals around a lot but this seems about right!

I walked into a show last year with After the Burial ending their set and was instantly asking people who just played. That moment where you realized you missed the best band of the night hurts. Pics of kits or it didn't happen

That seriously sucks,... I finally have one friend that can stand this type of music! (win). I'm going to try and go see PTH and Periphery play @ the best buy theater on I think April 24th? I've always wanted to see periphery live as well as protest the hero.

• 2 weeks later...