cloak jeans?

startmeup

when i was in soho looking for a decent pair of denim, and big didnt have my size, i got the chance to peer in the window of the adjacent cloak store. i could not see the entire store, but want to verify the existence of cloak denim along with getting some facts: price, raw version, selvage, quality, etc.

They do exist. I know this spring/summer season had a raw black selvage if I'm not mistaken. The one I tried on was very rigid. I like the idea of them, but I can't get into the backpocket shape. Apparently Cloak's future jeans will be done in a collaboration with Earnest Sewn.

From what I remember the Cloak jeans I bought a year or so ago were around $300 (I think they're probably a little more now). They're selvedge and of wonderful quality. I heard a rumor a while ago that Cloak's denim was to be handled by Earnest Sewn at some point, but I haven't been to NY in a while so I can't verify that yet.

They're my second favorite pair of jeans.

You are all correct. Here's the skinny:

This fall you'll find two men's jeans from Cloak produced by ES (tech design, marking, grading, make, wash).

Spring '07 the two will drop a limited edition line of denim and ready-to-wear to be sold in the ES concept store, An Earnest Cut & Sew. This collabo will probably be under a currently undetermined co-label.

Cloak's Alexandre Plokhov to design the aesthetics (contributes to cut) and Earnest Sewn's Scott Morrison to design the technical (contributes to fit).

Here's the full PR (FYI they spelled Plokhov incorrectly):

***For Immediate Release***

Earnest Sewn to produce the denim for Cloak’s Fall 06 Line

New York based cult denim label, Earnest Sewn, will be producing the jeans for Cloak's Fall 06 line. Designer Alexandre Blokhov met with Earnest Sewn's designer Scott Morrison in the denim label's concept store to discuss producing two men's jean that Cloak presented in their Fall 06 runway collection. The jeans will be available in 3 high quality herringbone denims, and have Cloak's signature avant garde design aesthetic. The jeans for Fall will be sold under the Cloak label, with Earnest Sewn overseeing technical design, marking/grading, sewing and laundry.

This project is the first in a series of collaborations for the like minded companies. For Spring.07 Morrison and Blokhov will design a limited edition run of denim and ready to wear clothing for Earnest Sewn's concept store, An Earnest Cut & Sew, available in store only, and presumably under a new co-label to be determined at a later date.

i had a pair of cloak jeans once. they were cut very strange and were not selvedge- i returned them right away (i got them online). they had zipper teeth along the edges of the pockets which was kind of cool. this was from their first season though- so they might have changed it up since then.