marmot or northface

rabka

im going to europe for two weeks and i decided to buy a new backpack i could use for school and the trip.

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=packs&subcat=14&style_id=H2697

i like the marmot because of its functionality and organization. Also the material feels good and i like the padding for the laptop holder.

the other bag is the northface heckler...it is simpler in terms of function than the marmot...but i think it;s better looking. I cnat find it online...but it's an 80 dollar bag sort of liek the recon i guess.

what's a better bet? I'm leaning towards the northface...

north face packs are notoriously useless for actual travel/expedition.

Ummm, not really, but whatever you want to believe...

The Catalyst was backpacker's pack of the year last year.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/TNF1317/The-North-Face-Catalyst-75-Backpack-4300-4900cu-in.html?mv_pc=r126&CP=Froogle&CMP=SPC-Froogle&ATT=061506&GCID=C2000x025&keyword=catalyst+75+backpack+4300+4900cu+in

i decided to go for the nortface....there were a few things about the gunnison which i didnt like....for example their is this protruding flip board thing (idk what it is) which hangs loosely and looks pretty bad.. anyways i saved some money .... im content

Why the debate?

Because ever since the hood and then consequently the suburbs bought into the face, they have realized that they can lower the overall quality of their gear with out many complaints. Granted some of the serious Sleeping bags and their 4 season tents are still decent, but they're commitment to customer service is non-existent. If you have a bag from 95/96 or earlier, you are still good, but now these fools are out there with giant cotton logo hoodies, and women's bubble trench coats that wouldn't last a fuckin day out of NY. Patagonia has consistently replaced ANYTHING I have ever had a problem with, and my pops regularly returns his work jeans for new ones if he blows them out. Yvonne Chinard (patagonia founder) is a stand up guy, and has gone from selling pitons, and tech gear out of a shack, to the buisness model you see today. So support that shit...

i somehow missed this thread, my bad.

this guy sounds like he's looking for a daypack, not expedition gear. 32 litres isn't much at all, and the shit north face puts out in that category aren't remarkable in their performance in any way (i'm at a loss to see how even the lightest of backpackers could do 2 weeks on such a small bag anyway).

raised by wolves pretty much said it all with regards to quality.