Shanghai streetwear

bonan

Hello people. I arrived in Shanghai a couple of days ago and will stay here for the coming three month. I've been walking around in the city and it's really amazing but I wonder if someone can recommend me any places/shops where I can find streetwear clothes (like stussy) and sneakers!. It is soo large here and hard to find all the places. Thanks!

go to aplace called rex at citic plaza, and sogo i think. they have 3 stores up now.

find all ur limited range shoes and big labels such as Y3, evisu etc havnt been there for about 2 years though - im sure its got better

I've been walking around in shanghai now. Seems like many of the small streetwearshops sells fake clothes, but all the shops in the big malls are authentic. But I find that much are more expensive than I can get from ex ebay. some Nikes are like 1200-1500 RMB. Some stuff are acutally authentic but marked with a different brand, found a ripcurl shirt that is exactly the same as one I had before, but with another brands tags on, much cheaper. The nightlife here is soo cool! way way much better then tiny Sweden's.

here's a subset of my list of stores, focused on streetware.

keep in mind that in most stores you'll find will have factory seconds, overruns, several seasons ago and/or knock-offs with tons of fakes. also very very little stussy real or fake. for legit stores, check out the following but remember you're going to have to dig and it's likely you're not going to find what you want:

- insh and shirtflag on taikang lu [shanghai-based ready-to-wear and t-shirt labels]

- the I.T shop in Xintiandi or Plaza66 for high-end [the other Huaihai location has crap-to-no selection of men's clothes]

- the gloss in Xintiandi

- any of the Doublepark and 5cm shops [private labels of the I.T group] of which I best like the location on Shanxi Lu x Changle Lu for no reason in particular

- The Thing on Changle Lu near Ruijin Lu [shanghai t-shirt label]

- Maxime de Nimes on Shimen Er Lu near Nanjing Lu [French brand of denim/t-shirts that launched here]

- Rex in SOGO, CITIC Plaza and Xintiandi

- Mars Man on Xinle Lu at least for the amusing interior

- Xanadu on Ruijin Er Lu for a few tee's and vinyl toys

- da-space on Fujian Lu x Guangdong Lu for art, limited tee's and toys [actually very good!]

- CPix on Shaanxi Lu [near Changle Lu] for t-shirts although they mostly suck

- EAST on Shanxi Lu next to the Parkson is more skate-oriented with rotating brands [a lot of LRG last time was in] most of it legit

- FLY [Xinle Lu + 2 other locations] has nike kicks and some clothes many of which I suspect have suspect origin

- HeiB [Huaihai Lu near Huangpi Lu and a couple other locations] for mostly Triple 5 Soul

- Eblis Hungi on Changle Lu has their own street oriented brand altho I'm not particularly fond of the style.

malls:

- Grand Gateway in Xujiahui

- Jiuguang [the SOGO] on Nanjing Lu across from Jing'an Park

- Upper floors of CITIC Plaza

- Raffles on Xizang Lu across from Peoples Square

- Di Mei under People's Square, entrance near Shanghai Museum [for clothing of questionable sources]

For clothing of questionable sources:

- Qipu Lu Clothes Market is huge and the best of all of them - three buildings plus a street market - anything branded is fake.

- T.O.P.S. on Nanchang Lu has good men's selection and actually some of it is authentic.

- anywhere around Changle Lu, Nanchang Lu Maoming Lu, Ruijin Lu plus/or minus a few blocks of Huaihui Lu

as for telling fakes from real - there are no hard/fast rules. just look at the quality of the cotton, stitching, printing, how the stitched in tags match-up to the brand especially the spec tag that will be on the inside lower right seam of most t-shirts, the hang tags and if they exist and/or look legit, what other merchandise is in the store and most importantly price. if it seems too cheap, it's very likely fake.

have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Now thats comprehensive! LOL. Never been to shanghai but i've been planning to. I went to Beijing b4, and it is very hard to find authentic stuffs other than in malls.

My advise is know your stuff well b4 buying it. And don't trust what the sales person say.