Alden Modified Last: If You Wear/ Are Interested, Please Read

Roguls

If you'd like to join the cause, please go here and add your name to the list: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=234635

I love Aldens, specifically their dress boots. I have owned boots and shoes on the Barrie, Plaza, Trubalance, Hampton and Aberdeen last. I always thought they were fairly comfortable.

Then I visited Moulded Shoe, LLC in NYC and tried on the Modified Last.

My definition of what is comfortable has changed dramatically. The Modified Last is simply sublime in its fit - apparently I have "strange feet" and this special last fits perfectly. And it has a strangely cool look about it (some call this orthopedic, but I disagree after seeing them in person).

I know I am not alone.

To make a long story short, I then set out to find who sells Modified Last shoes (really, dress boots) in shell cordovan.

To my chagrin, I found a terrible irony: Alden does not allow U.S. retailers to order special makeups in shell cordovan. Moulded Shoe has an awesome #8 captoe boot, but only because it was "grandfathered in" (they've been selling Aldens since the 40's).

Basically, I found that only the Japanese and French market (to my knowledge from my limited research) are privy to shell cordovan Modified Last shoes.

I'm writing this to see if there is interest in Shell Cordovan makeups in the Modified Last right here in the U.S., the home country of The Alden Shoe Company. I'd like to start a list below of those who would like to see Alden lift the unofficial ban on retailers to order special makeups in Shell Cordovan.

If there is sufficient interest, I will be drafting a letter to Alden with an attached petition. Moulded Shoe has agreed to back us - the owners have stated they, too, are exceedingly frustrated with their inability to order special makeups in Shell. Perhaps, at very least, we can work with them to get at least one boot made.

To understand what this means, in dollars, I will be purchasing a pair of shell from an awesome Alden Modified Last retailer, Anatomica. The price will be near $1200 for the pair. That means a $500 + premium (basically I'm forfeiting a pair of calf...).

If you don't know what the Modified Last is, here are some pictures to whet your appetite. They are from Anatomica and Moulded Shoe. If you google search, you'll find more. But these show the possibilities.

TANKERBOOTBURGUNDYCORDOVAN.jpg

PLAINTOEBOOTBURGUNDYCORDOVAN.jpg

PLAINTOEBOOTBLACKCORDOVAN.jpg

NEOPRENNEBOOTCORDOVAN8.jpg

CAPTOEBOOTBURGUNDYCORDOVAN.jpg

CAPTOEBOOTBLACKCORDOVAN.jpg

BOOTSRAVELLOCORDOVAN.jpg

• 1 month later...