Back Pockets...

Jim Cissell

the whole current collection of levis is utter shite.

from the designs to the sizing. Levis need to badly wake up. No one is wearing Levis anymore in England, (re. current 'modern' ranges)

Even their stores are dismal.

Here is a completely TRUE story with no exaggerations.

A new Levis store has opened in my city about two months ago.

I got talking to the *manager* and asked firstly if they would stock the LVCs and secondly if they could order me in a 36 leg in a particular washed 501 I had seen in the store.

The answer to the first question was 'no'

Unbelievably, the answer to the second question was 'no'..."THE BEST SOLUTION IF YOU WANT A 36 LEG IS TO USE EBAY AMERICA".

Oh dear.

Please click my website for some cool stuff for sale

Various brand new Edwins and new footwear UK 11 / US 12. Updated regularly.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/j-edwards/superfuture.htm

I have to agree with you on their quality issues (excepting their boutique LVC line). Maybe over the years they just got too big for their britches. I've felt for some time now, especially given their enormous debt load (a $billion+?!) that they should've just regrouped, bitten the bullet and made themselves much, MUCH, smaller and just concentrate on their core jeans line. The stuff that made them famous.

They have too many styles in my opinion - trying to be everything to everyone; too many eggs in too many baskets, and they've gotten themselves in an un-winable financial situation, I fear. I realize they're a multi-billion company, and you can't just 'up and get small', but, on the other hand, why not? Why not get out of all the unsustainable, expanded market stuff, sell off what brands they can, pay their debts, and become a high-end, quality-minded organization that honors both their place in history, and solid reputation?

I hated it when they sold their Valencia Street factory building. That obviously could've been one of their landmark treasures. They could have revamped and retained this wonderfully located building for producing their 501 and entire LVC-line, only. That would make that line so much more special. I know it was in some disrepair, but scaling back to that core-based company I mentioned would have allowed more capital to pay for the proper restoration of that iconic facility.

I don't know - they're certainly caught-up in the big-business-race and can't turn back, but on the other hand, it seems so simple...

Jim

Jim Cissell