worst movies you've ever seen...

gfunkdocta

i'm so glad it wasn't just me

"you have to change. you're not changing if you don't change you won't be a good swan."

OH LOOK SHE IS GROWING FEATHERS AND EXPERIMENTING WITH DRUGS AND PUSSY, DOES THAT MEAN SHES CHANGING? THANKS GORE VERBINSKI I LIKE MY SYMBOLS IN SPOON FED FORMAT

I'm just saying both of you guys are judging it on unfair grounds. It wasn't trying to be deep but you're saying you didn't like it because it was trying to be deep.

what was it supposed to be if not deep? if it's a character study, shouldn't there be some depth to the characters? the characters were all tired cliches. a friend tried to pass them off as "archetypes" but it's hard to put a shine on shit.

Her progression was largely forced and predictable, nothing particularly interesting happened to her...portman spent 90% of the movie crying until suddenly, and mostly inexplicably, she was able to do what she wasn't able to do for the rest of the movie ... "becoming" the black swan. we're told that she's become the black swan because suddenly she is a black swan. oh, and she kisses her slutty director. if she didn't die maybe she would've started smoking and got a tattoo too.

note- even the lesbian sex scenes were not appealing. how do you fuck up lesbian sex with natalie portman and mena suvari!?

Could you explain your cliche idea? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. The movie is so closely connected to the ballet Swan Lake that I think any character attributes are made specifically to make that connection more apparent. Where as the white swan is the perfect representation of good in the ballet, Natalie Portman's character is the stereotypical example of the perfect innocent good girl. Mila Kunis (not Mena Suvari by the way) would then be the stereotypical bad girl persona in order to represent the black swan.

I don't think the progression was forced although I would say it was predictable. It was supposed to be. The comparison between her life and swan lake was made very blatantly obvious. You were supposed to get it. I think Aronofsky made the movie so that those themes were accessible to everyone.

Could you explain your cliche idea? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. The movie is so closely connected to the ballet Swan Lake that I think any character attributes are made specifically to make that connection more apparent. Where as the white swan is the perfect representation of good in the ballet, Natalie Portman's character is the stereotypical example of the perfect innocent good girl. Mila Kunis (not Mena Suvari by the way) would then be the stereotypical bad girl persona in order to represent the black swan.

I don't think the progression was forced although I would say it was predictable. It was supposed to be. The comparison between her life and swan lake was made very blatantly obvious. You were supposed to get it. I think Aronofsky made the movie so that those themes were accessible to everyone.

\i'm drunk so maybe this won't be as elocutionary as it should be

my problem with the film had to do with everyone fitting there role a little too well. when i look for greatness in film, i don't necessarily look for bluntness and accessibility to everyone . if this were the criteria for a great film michael bay would clean up every year at the oscars/sag/etc.

the cliche criticism come from the fact that everyone in the film acted in exactly the way that we could expect a totally unrealistic hyperbole of the individual they were supposed to represent would act. so the mother, when she sees her daughter harming herself, takes it upon herself to hack away like a crazy person at her daughter's fingernails. she cant lovingly file the nails down, she hacks at them like a lunatic until she injures her.

And by saying that these people are supposed to be stereotypes, we're not really saying anytihng positive about the movie....we're just saying "the movie was supposed to be shit, that's why the movie was shit!"

if i wanted to see a shallow movie where nothing happens i would've seen tron, which i did and it was awesome and there was explosions and flashing lights and stuff, and it was awesome. black swan was like a movie for stupid people that wanted to pretend they were smart for 95 minutes.

i like all of you by the way, frank cosgrove is one of my favoirite posters. hope this isn't to negativityly

(ps. i know it was mila kunis and darren aronofski, not mena suvari or gore verbsinski. )

\i'm drunk so maybe this won't be as elocutionary as it should be

my problem with the film had to do with everyone fitting there role a little too well. when i look for greatness in film, i don't necessarily look for bluntness and accessibility to everyone . if this were the criteria for a great film michael bay would clean up every year at the oscars/sag/etc.

the cliche criticism come from the fact that everyone in the film acted in exactly the way that we could expect a totally unrealistic hyperbole of the individual they were supposed to represent would act. so the mother, when she sees her daughter harming herself, takes it upon herself to hack away like a crazy person at her daughter's fingernails. she cant lovingly file the nails down, she hacks at them like a lunatic until she injures her.

And by saying that these people are supposed to be stereotypes, we're not really saying anytihng positive about the movie....we're just saying "the movie was supposed to be shit, that's why the movie was shit!"

if i wanted to see a shallow movie where nothing happens i would've seen tron, which i did and it was awesome and there was explosions and flashing lights and stuff, and it was awesome. black swan was like a movie for stupid people that wanted to pretend they were smart for 95 minutes.

i like all of you by the way, frank cosgrove is one of my favoirite posters. hope this isn't to negativityly

(ps. i know it was mila kunis and darren aronofski, not mena suvari or gore verbsinski. )

Sure, I guess on the surface it could appear like a bunch of really stereotypical characters with stereotypical motives. But to focus on that makes it seem like you are missing something bigger.

The really amazing thing about the movie is that it in itself is an interpretation of Swan Lake surrounding a production of Swan Lake. The larger picture is anything but stereotypical. The characters are simple because they are in service of the holistic meaning of the film. Having ultra-nuanced and complex characters would probably take away from what the filmmakers were trying to achieve with the film when taken as a whole.

In regards to the accessibilty of the themes/story, it's important that you know what is going to happen I think. It's almost a given that you know. The outcome is not the important part but rather how the outcome is reached and in what way. The way I see it, when you compare it to the actual story of Swan Lake, you essentially know how the movie will end before you even see it. It would be the same if you were to go see a version of Swan Lake. You already know the story but you are there for the experience and to see how it unfolds. This doesn't make the movie bad though. If the death at the end was the import part then you wouldn't continue to see reproductions of Swan Lake. Or Romeo and Juliet for that matter. You're allowed to not like the movie Clopek I'm just sharing my ideas on the matter. I'm happy you've managed to keep a level of civility during this discussion. Even in drunkenness. ;)

Also, mind sharing why The Fountain should be added to the list josh?

Valid points all, but I guess I enjoyed it more than some. As is the case with most lauded works of art, Black Swan is both under-appreciated and over-hyped. This sounds trite, I know, but I believe its true in this instance. I disagree with the assertion that its success or failure as a narrative hinges entirely on cheap, flimsy symbolism. I think that my strongest criticism is reserved for Aronofsky himself. Black Swan, like all of his other work, turns on the relationship between the psychological, metaphysical wrinkle of the human experience -- however damaged or warped the individual character may be -- and the limitations of physical existence, e.g. the ways in which obsessive desire for spiritual transcendence or transformation can and inevitably will be stifled or otherwise corrupted by corporeal realities. I'm not suggesting that this is an uninteresting motif, or that Aronofsky fails to explore it skillfully, but rather that I went into Black Swan with a fairly good idea of how he was going to approach the themes necessarily involved in telling a story with such literary pretensions and links to Swan Lake.

I can understand why some people didn't enjoy the film, but I thought it was, if nothing else, a worthwhile experience. The music, performances, and dance sequences should be enough to keep Black Swan off "worst movies" lists.

there are way too many shitty films to be named, so i will just mention something more recent:

127 hours

my god that shit was boring. and i like danny boyle (prof pic). and when it comes to franco, i guess you can say im somewhere between hate and indifference.

and as for black swan, it was definitely an overrated film, but i dont think it deserves to be in anyone's all-time worst list.

I'm glad somebody mentioned Daybreakers. I wanted to mention it before, but I couldn't remember the title of the movie because I think I tried to purge it from my memory. I didn't even want to take the ten seconds it would take to google "ethan hawke vampire film" because the movie was so horrible I didn't think it would be worth the ten seconds.

For some reason I sat through this movie at a friend's house over the summer. I was seriously irritated after about the first five minutes (I sat through the entire movie because I didn't want to be the film snob who would rather watch Nosferatu if vampires are the subject, although I guess if that makes me a film snob, than I am. So I sat there for two hours twidling my thumbs after predicting the entire plot to the T right after the WIllem Dafoe character was introduced).

Which begs the question, how do y'all (I live in Virginia) end up seeing these horrible movies? For me, it's usually because of three reasons:

1. The movie was overhyped and I expected more (Public Enemies, Crash; I might be alone on this one, but to anyone who is against stereotyping in the first place, this movie is just a big bowl of dumb)

2. I was around friends with no taste. Significant others cause this particular reason consistently (Daybreakers, etc)

3. The movie had all the right elements, but ended up being a dud (Broken Flowers)

Just curious if anyone could think of other causes to the gigantic waste of time aka a bad movie.