Will bleaching my dry jeans affect the contrast effects?

Noddy

i put a little bleach in for my first and second wash. i dont know if it did anything cool tho. im not sure what the difference is because i dont know what they wouldve looked like if i didnt put bleach in.

The quantity of bleach you can put in the automatic dispenser is very little. That amount (I estimate it to be 1/3 to 1/2 cup) might make a difference over 20 or 30 wash cycles, but there is no discernible effect the first few times that I have ever seen. I have no idea whether you would have a add a few cups, half a bottle or whole bottle to make them really light. Assuming you could figure out how much to use, I would have to think it would affect contrast--why wouldn't it? It will make the dark areas lighter, which would diminish contrast. But I've never actually tried it. It might look kind of interesting ... I'd experiment on a cheap pair of 501 S T F made in Mexico specials before I would try it on anything expensive. My guess is that you would have to use at a minimum 5 or 6 cups to see any lightening at all. Make sure you add it to the wash water so it is all mixed up in solution before you put the jeans in.

I read that if you use a 10-20% concentration of bleach in a spray bottle with sand-paper, (either before or after you use the sandpaper), and dry in the sun, you can get a pretty good fade before the first wash. I'm assuming the first wash will make it look a little more natural.

I actually purchased a bottle of bleach but while I was out it got knocked over onto an old pair of A&F's and a little bit of bleach leaked out. By the time I got home, it ate through the pant leg and turned the surrounding area of denim into a white paste. There goes my first test pair. Whoops!

hmm needed 5 to 6 cups eh? ........ maybe i will try with one cup for the 1st wash and observe how much indigo will it takes away.. i can't have too many pairs of dry having the same color..... gets bored after a while lol

Sounds like a plan without very promising results in my opinion; why not just buy some raw denim in a different color? There's a multitude of blacks and blues that are all fairly different. I'm eyeing those Edo Ai's for the color alone.