Hemming/Sewing/Altering

Anyone here hem or make their own alterations on garments? I don't have much experience with a sewing machine, but thinking about getting one, especially so I can tailor things myself.

I'm sure it takes years of practice and experience to be good -- but what about making simple alterations, and hemming things like jeans. How difficult is it for someone with no experience to learn?

i work at a tailor and i study fashion design myself,

usually when taking jeans in you take then in from the side (inside or outside leg) which has the less elaborate stitching (usally inside leg)

but its depends on the quality of the jean. this is because duplicating a french seam is pretty hard for beginners. or if u have selvedge denim then the outer leg is written off (dont wanna loose that sexy selvedge) (also you wont have the chainstich)

i have a few pairs of cheaper jeans which ive taken in and its been a simple inside leg taper then just over lock the seem to keep it neat and from freying. if you dont have an overlocker then u can zig zag it.

also on heavier denim domestic machine struggle to do hems properly(folded twice) coz it gets too thick.

general rule of thumb is - if the jeans are cheap then just do a home job if there expensive and u like em lots then take them to a tailor or just leave it.

hope its helped