ralph lauren purple label

Quote: 500 dollars for a shirt, get the fuck out.

They are actually $350 and are of excellent quality. Not sure what our comment meant on a "sore spot" but are you saying being part of RL makes a good inferior? If so, you have a lot to learn young one; in fact, a shitload to learn.

my bad, 350 dollars....still, a lot of money for a SHIRT. regardless of if i'm the target consumer or not, it's a bit ridiculous. i think it's funny that you and everyone else has been duped into thinking something can cost that much simply because it's supposedly "excellent quality", which i don't doubt....but you can't tell me that it's not the name you're paying for. if you make that kind of money to buy that shit and not flinch, then more power to you. what gets me is people who live in subpar living/jobs/etc trying to get shit like this because it has the name purple label (or whatever high designer name) behind it. i think people forget the fact that it is still a shirt, regardless of how well something is made or not. as far as your rl being inferior statement, i love rl and always have...but i guess i figured they'd stay away from price gouging like that. however, i'd much rather buy a stadium piece for that of kind price. arguing this is pointless, fashion is fashion...people will empty their funds for stuff like this so let them.

Quote:
Quote:

i love rl, but the purple label is a rip off, and i will always have a sore spot for rl doing it. 500 dollars for a shirt, get the fuck out.

--- Original message by brandonays on May 18, 2006 03:19 PM

thats why ralphie makes chaps for dudes like you

purple label isnt targeted at young 20 somethin homies

--- Original message by lyingonyourdriveway on May 18, 2006 04:49 PM

hahaha, don't talk to me about chaps, because aren't you the one that threw up a wrangler shirt to sell on here like last month?

Quote: my bad, 350 dollars....still, a lot of money for a SHIRT. regardless of if i'm the target consumer or not, it's a bit ridiculous. i think it's funny that you and everyone else has been duped into thinking something can cost that much simply because it's supposedly "excellent quality", which i don't doubt....but you can't tell me that it's not the name you're paying for. if you make that kind of money to buy that shit and not flinch, then more power to you. what gets me is people who live in subpar living/jobs/etc trying to get shit like this because it has the name purple label (or whatever high designer name) behind it. i think people forget the fact that it is still a shirt, regardless of how well something is made or not. as far as your rl being inferior statement, i love rl and always have...but i guess i figured they'd stay away from price gouging like that. however, i'd much rather buy a stadium piece for that of kind price. arguing this is pointless, fashion is fashion...people will empty their funds for stuff like this so let them.

ROFL, weclome to fashion, n00b.

Edited by macuser3of5 on May 18, 2006 at 05:55 PM

i dont have much familiarity with high end men's dress stuff like this but if purple label shirts seriously retail for $300+ wouldn't it just be cheaper to have a good tailor make you some shirts? what could possibly make a ready-to-wear shirt worth that much?

Guest Airjamie
Quote:
Quote:

i love rl, but the purple label is a rip off, and i will always have a sore spot for rl doing it. 500 dollars for a shirt, get the fuck out.

Hats off. Flame of the day right here. Frame that shit.

I punch my bitch to Godflesh.

I got my dad a purple label shirt last year when I was in Barcelona, I thought that it was awesome, but not really worth the high price. But my dad got hella fat so he cant wear it anymore.

Edited by Ahlvahroe on May 18, 2006 at 08:23 PM

I work at a polo ralph lauren factory outlet in Orlando, FL. I agree that regular priced purple label is too expensive for most people, however, if you hit up one of the many outlets and get lucky, you can get greate deals on purple label and other stuff. Someone recently came in and bought off 3k worth of womens purple label stuff. And that was for like long sleeve sweaters that were only 30 a piece. Out of season purple label at outlets are the best deals you can find.

It's funny how people get so offended when a company charges a lot of money for something.

From a manufacturing point of view, you can expect to multiply your cost of producing the product just from moving the manufacturing from China to the US. Probably 3-6x is a good estimate. Then if the product in made in Italy or something you can probably double it again. If you decide to to then source the materials from Italy vs. the far east or even the US, you can multiply this cost as well.

So it's not all price gouging. It's not all people paying for a brand either. For Polo to make a high end line (as they should) they would need to make top notch clothes. Top notch material, top notch designs, and top notch construction. Then it should be priced accordingly. The customers they attract are not neccessarily suckers, they just recognize the quality of the product. It's not like they could just stick purple label on regular polo stuff and expect to get 3x the price for it or whatever. Virtually everything in the consumer marketplace works like this. If you ridiculously overpice something (no matter the quality), someone is going to come along and do it just as good for less. And, unless you have a monopoly, your product will fail.

In my personal opinion, if you're in the 300$ price range, you can get a custom tailored shirt w/ Italian fabric for around that price, and that is MUCH better than any ready fit shirt.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha, don't talk to me about chaps, because aren't you the one that threw up a wrangler shirt to sell on here like last month?

--- Original message by brandonays on May 18, 2006 05:01 PM

a vintage wrangler cowboy shirt, its not like a went down to the local kmart and picked out a wrangler outfit