lighter raw denim..?

jens

Hey I know that the darker the denim the higher the contrast of the fading and so on, but... why aren't there lighter shades of dark blue or even 'normal' and light blue raw denim fabrics? I don't think jeansfreaks would only want super dark denim? And yeah I know you need to wear em more and more and they'll turn lighter anyway... But still, would be nice to get (or make if I can get the fabric) a pair of raw -preferably narrowloom selvage- denim jeans of a lighter colour. Surely the fading will take longer to become really distinct, but it would make for a nice addition to a denim collection.

I've seen a pair of Atelier LaDurance's in a lighter shade and wil try em on but they're not selvage (yet I like the brand, don't own it, but like it, they don't even have prefaded jeans do they?)... Yet if they fit nicely I'll probably get them, unless anyone else has a good tip...

Thanks in advance for any info and I'll keep you posted on my lighter denim quest!

Crate Denim makes a cut called "James" that is available in a light blue similar to the shade that Levis made in the late '70s. It's not Selvage, but is a nice raw denim and the cut is great (slim and straight). Another cool thing about these jeans is they have no pocket stitch detail at all.

You're right about Atelier. The Dungaree and the Novelty (both 11oz japanese denim) have a quality that changes when the light hits it from different angles, and the stiching is second to none. You'd be hard pressed in finding a more fascinating nonselvage light denim.

dry or die!

If your into vintage Levis the 1933 501s (older) were made in a lighter color denim and also a 10 oz weight. (not near as dark as the 55s or 37s) They are cut full in the seat and thighs and are buckle back. If you can find an older deadstock/dry pair they are very nice repros.