pattern making and making my own jeans

cjmegatron

There are some ready made pattern you can get from burdstyle for pretty cheap, but i would go buy a fresh pair of cheap rustler/Levis etc. That you think fit you well. Rip them apart and trace them onto the poster board of some type.

What type of machine you pick up? Is it burly enough?

im trying to make my own jeans but i am stuck, i can source denim, i have rivets, and i have a sewing machine but im stuck on patterns.

how can i make my own pattern?

just by ripping some old jeans up and tracing that on paper?

and im also stuck on pockets

Patterns can be bought or you can copy a pair by taking them apart, as noted previously. You can also trace a pattern without disassembling a pair by using a spiked wheel, although you need to gain some experience first.

its just denim from a fabric store (im making a test run pair of jeans before i make the real thing)

and i have a an old singer? will that do?

You can test your sewing and pattern on any non-stretch woven fabric first. It doesn't need to be denim.

You'll need to try sewing in a straight line, following a curve, open seams, bagging out and fell seams, before starting on a garment.

An old Singer should be fine. Singer has a long, long history sewing jeans. It just needs to sew forwards and backwards. If it also does a zig-zag then that's all you need for now. Just get used to setting up the thread and the bobbin.

and if thats not good what kind of heavy duty sewing machine can i get for a reasonable price?

also in some jean making pics i saw pockets being folded then pressed what is that for exactly? and hows it done?

this is what i mean

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=149004&page=5

Test your Singer by doing some fell seams on denim or a heavyweight cotton twill. You may need to ease it through the heaviest layers by turning the needle by hand.

Singer, Brother, Toyota and Elna are all good, commonly found domestic machines. Keep it simple, and avoid paying extra for trinkets you won't need, unless you're anticipating making jeans with embroidered butterflies and ducks ;)

Otherwise, you could look for a used Industrial Machine from Brother, Singer, Juki etc. But try making a few on a domestic machine before investing here.

Have fun. Good luck.