-- Leather Shoe Preservation --

englandmj7

Normally I just keep them clean, occasionally polish them, etc. but now that I have a couple pricey pairs and wear them everyday, I am noticing alot of heavy wear on the sole, sweat crystals on the outside (gross, I know), etc. I got toe taps put on, and already had a thread addressing that, but as far as the leather, etc. goes, should I buy cedar shoe trees? Is there a special kind of protectant to put on? I have a couple pairs I spent about $300 each on and I really want to prolong their life; any useful tips/advice. Thanks!

icon_smile.gif

well, first you definitely need cedar shoe trees. should have had them at day 1. how many pairs do you have? I have about 5 and rotate them so they don't get too worn out.

Yes definitely use a cedar shoe tree, retains the shape, prevents creasing, and even protects it from getting eaten/ruined by insects. If you are using the shoes a lot give them a clean with a light foam cleanser or mild leather lotion when necessary or every 3 weeks or so using a very soft, non-abrasive polishing cloth or foam sponge. Use a bristled brush or toothbrush for cleaning out nooks and crannies. Polish if necessary with a good wax polish for scuffs, scratches etc. Finish up with a light coating of mink oil or silicone polish/spray. Just remember to spot test every product you use on your shoes as some can remove coloring/stain/damage the leather. On delicate leathers or painted leathers you have to be extra careful, you can try using only lightly applied silicone for cleaning and to keep the leather supple so it doesn't dry out. Some good leather lotions work fairly well also. These will most likely help with removing the "sweat" crystals you described.

EDIT: I should also add that excessive polishing/cleaning can also be bad for the shoes as well. This can actually age the shoe as over polishing/cleaning can have the effect of removing color, drying out the leather etc. You also have to remember that different leathers (oiled leathers, natural leathers, painted leathers, suede etc.) also require different methods of care and maintenance.

Edited by Circa on Apr 10, 2006 at 04:22 PM

Um, I take back my statement about TFS because whilst there are related topics, nothing is specific enough; I guess I am an utter newb because I am completely lost, CIRCA thanks for the detailed info.; do you use a shoe cream as well? Is that necessary? Are there any brands to look for that I can buy in a normal store (not online from France, etc.)?; how often should I put on cream/conditioner? etc.

Also, I know it is a stupid question, but on TFS they refer to a "spitshine" as some insane day-long process, what does it entail?

Maybe to make it easier, can anyone recommend a definitive shoe care shopping list with brands, etc. so I can just go buy it without all the detective work. I will take your word for it!!!!

Edited by englandmj7 on Apr 10, 2006 at 04:49 PM

Quote:

well, first you definitely need cedar shoe trees. should have had them at day 1. how many pairs do you have? I have about 5 and rotate them so they don't get too worn out.

--- Original message by cchen on Apr 10, 2006 03:52 PM

yeah, always.....if you're buying 300 shoes, then these are a must!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

Leather cream/conditioner/lotion is the same thing, it is just basically a mild cream polish that helps clean, moisturize and protect leather. It also usually comes in either a polish that will dry either matte or shiny. This product in whatever form is basically a must for leather care because it will help prevent the leather from drying out and creasing/cracking, and should also help your shoe retain its shape if used in conjunction with a shoe tree as well as help make it water resistant. It can also help remove stains and is basically all purpose because most work on nearly all types of leathers. Foam cleaners work in nearly the same capacity but can be slightly better when used for high gloss or delicate leathers and even painted leathers (like sneakers). The silicone (either spray or brush) helps add extra water/stain resistance as well as lightly moisturizing and polishing. Personally I only apply products when my shoes are looking a little scuffed, dingy or dry but other than that if you are using them quite heavily (i.e.- everyday, in rain etc.) then a light cleaning & spraying every 2-3 weeks is usually fine. As for products I generally like Tana since they offer nearly every type of leather cleaning & care product imaginable. For wax polishes Kiwi is my favorite whether in a tin or liquid.

Quote: Also, I know it is a stupid question, but on TFS they refer to a "spitshine" as some insane day-long process, what does it entail?

A spit shine entails a very laborious wax polishing method using a very soft cloth and either spit or water. It is also commonly the type of polish stereotypically associated with sidewalk shoe-shine boys or the military. Firstly the leather must be capable of achieving a high lustre shine but doesn't necessarily have to be a patent leather. The shine itself is achieved by wrapping your finger with the polishing cloth and dabbing it with a small amount of wax polish and then applying it the boot and working it into the leather in small circles. You continue to buff the same area until the leather dries and then spit on it (or use water) and buff it again until it dries. Repeat endlessly until the leather has achieved a very high lustre shine and then continue with the rest of the boot/shoe. There is also a more advanced similar method called a "burn shine" but I will save that for later. If you still require more detailed instructions on how to achieve this shine I'm sure your local armed forces recruiter would be more than happy to help you out icon_smile_cool.gif

Edited by Circa on Apr 10, 2006 at 05:39 PM

Ah, I see, thanks for the info.

On another note, my shoes are mostly all slimmer/pointier toed shoes, and most of the shoe trees I have seen online have been pretty bulky. Any recommendations on types to get/where to get them? Should I get the split-toed ones? Does it matter?

Doesn't matter IMO. Cedar, split-toed is my preference since it collapses to fit almost every type of shoe. Split generally fills the shoe out better but also stretches it more so be wary if you're sticking it in a slip-on or a very narrow shoe.

Edited by Circa on Apr 10, 2006 at 05:40 PM

If you're looking to get the maximum wear/life from your shoes by helping them to retain their shape and crease less then yes cedar shoe trees are definitely a good idea for almost any type of shoe. There's a reason why shoes regardless of type come stuffed with stuffing paper and that loose packet of silica.

Quote:
Quote:

Should/can shoe trees be used on sneakers too?

--- Original message by JOSHBEE on Apr 10, 2006 07:02 PM

why not? i've used them to strech out a pair of sneakers before...

--- Original message by poly800rock on Apr 10, 2006 09:10 PM

But the point of using shoe trees it to preserve the shape, not to strech it out.

• 5 months later...

Start with this.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/perfect_shoeshine.htm

You shouldn't need to do anything but put them on trees at the end of the day and polish ever 1-5 wearings depending on when they need it. Go to style forum or Ask Andy and just ask questions. Explain that you really don't know anything any they will help you out. Just remember, many of those guys spend $1000+ on shoes and have shoe collections that cost more than my house. They can be intense but the information you will get from them is much better than the heresay that's popping up here. No offense to the board Minya, but there are better places to find certain info.

My girl has purple & green suede shoes and wanted to know what product would be best to help keep them protected? Any suggestions or links, thanks....

Whilst I would not recommend it for regular leather, I think it is good to give suede a quick spray with leather protectant/waterproofer. You will also need to buy a can of suede cleaner with brush applicator and the little tool for cleaning suede which is half rubber/half rigid brush.......that is pretty much all you can do for suede. Oh, and get some shoe trees.

Kiwi works well enough. I have several pairs of $400+ suede shoes and have never had any issues with their products being faulty, etc. You can pretty much get everything you need at your local Rite-Aid, Sav-On, etc. They make a "Suede Protectant" which comes in a can as well as the little brush/eraser you need to keep the nap nice.

• 10 months later...

Is Kiwi shoe polish enough to protect and condition the leather on shoes? I usually apply Obenauf's LP but on a recent pair of Tricker's they completely ruined the shine and luster - gave it a lifeless, dull coating. I tried my best to remove it, then applied Kiwi neutral polish to a buffed finish. I'm concerned that it may not be enough for good leather protection though.

Is mink oil a good option here? What should I use?