a pictorial comparison of my levi's (1947 501 vs premium skinners vs capital E skinners)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

oh yeah, if i had to rate the quality of denim, the premiums are at the bottom. but still nicer compared to the STF 501 (which fit bad on me for some reason?)

--- Original message by lilbucu on Apr 11, 2006 12:08 AM

the STF 501s are cut differently from your premiums which could be why they don't fit you as well. if you think about the kind of demographic the STF 501s have to cover (racial, economic and cultural), it's insane.

btw, where do you train mma? i train in NYC at www.roninathletics.com.

--- Original message by mizanation on Apr 12, 2006 09:26 AM

oh yhea, i was comparing denim from the premiums vs the STFs, but i was comparing fit b/t STFs vs LVC 1947 501xx.

i just train with my friends at our university gym, but i plan on training at AMC kickboxing (http://www.pankration.com/) this summer.

--- Original message by lilbucu on Apr 12, 2006 06:54 PM

i grew up in seattle and knew some people who trained at amc a long time ago.

definitely train there, it's the best place in washington.

why don't you buy the sugarcane 47's next time? even with shipping, if you order from japan, they should be cheaper than the your LVC's.

i just ordered mine, should be here in a week or so...

so i soaked my '47s for a couple of hours. warmish water.

presoak:

waist: 16.5in

front rise: 12in

rear rise:16

outseam:43.5

inseam:32.5in

leg opening: 8 6/16in

after soak:

waist: 15.25in

front rise: 11in

rear rise: 14in

outseam: 41in

inseam: 29.5in

leg opening: 8in

so basically, the shrank a little over in inch in the waist, and 2 inches in length. now they fit me a little better in the waist.

I also starched them while wet, after drying, i threw on two more coats of starch. when that dried, the jeans could stand on thier own!!, then i threw them on, walked around then threw on one more coat.

now they are being broken in :)

i think they are just the tiny bit lighter now, my tub has some indigo on it, and my hands were blue-ish from handling the wet denim.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

oh yeah, if i had to rate the quality of denim, the premiums are at the bottom. but still nicer compared to the STF 501 (which fit bad on me for some reason?)

--- Original message by lilbucu on Apr 11, 2006 12:08 AM

the STF 501s are cut differently from your premiums which could be why they don't fit you as well. if you think about the kind of demographic the STF 501s have to cover (racial, economic and cultural), it's insane.

btw, where do you train mma? i train in NYC at www.roninathletics.com.

--- Original message by mizanation on Apr 12, 2006 09:26 AM

oh yhea, i was comparing denim from the premiums vs the STFs, but i was comparing fit b/t STFs vs LVC 1947 501xx.

i just train with my friends at our university gym, but i plan on training at AMC kickboxing (http://www.pankration.com/) this summer.

--- Original message by lilbucu on Apr 12, 2006 06:54 PM

i grew up in seattle and knew some people who trained at amc a long time ago.

definitely train there, it's the best place in washington.

why don't you buy the sugarcane 47's next time? even with shipping, if you order from japan, they should be cheaper than the your LVC's.

i just ordered mine, should be here in a week or so...

--- Original message by mizanation on Apr 12, 2006 06:59 PM

really... is it basically the same cut? any pictures online?

i think my next pair of denim will have to be heavier wieght and lower rise. possibly stright leg.

how much did hte sugarcanes run you? (i'm preparing to kick myself after i hear the answer).

what difference do you notice b/t lvc 47 and the sugarcane 47's? i can only think of the selvedge and pocket pattern....

Quoting lilbucu:

really... is it basically the same cut? any pictures online?

i think my next pair of denim will have to be heavier wieght and lower rise. possibly stright leg.

how much did hte sugarcanes run you? (i'm preparing to kick myself after i hear the answer).

what difference do you notice b/t lvc 47 and the sugarcane 47's? i can only think of the selvedge and pocket pattern...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's an authentic repro of the original 1947 levi.

check out the sugarcane thread, there's a lot of good info there:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=5298

also go to history preservation, but don't order from them (too pricey):

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/sugarcane_2.php

i got mine from a rakuten shop (japanese online shop)

i paid 12800 yen which is about $107.

shipping and customs shouldn't be too bad.

i am not sure what the differences are (i've only seen the LVC in person, the sugarcane's i've only seen pictures) but they are probably pretty similar (in cut). maybe you can find out in the sugarcane thread.

Edited by mizanation on Apr 12, 2006 at 07:18 PM

Edited by mizanation on Apr 12, 2006 at 07:20 PM

i have the 47s right now breaking them in i like them they are a standard jean, you really can't go wrong with them it seams if they fit you are set and they are a classic design.

another brand to possibly look into is nudie, they have some nice denim, basically you either love or hate them from what i read on this site, i like them a lot, they have a really nice blue color to them once they are broken in and washed, some have said that this color blue they get is unlike any other,.. i personally have the regular ralf dry selvage from them and its a really comfortable and nicely subtlely broken in look to them, nothing too cheesy just really a great low key look to them that is great. i would suggest them as your next jean, they are not a "special cut" pretty standard boot cut and i'm breaking in a straight sven also, basically similar to the 47 cut but a little lower rise on them, the legs almost seem identical, and the seat is maybe a little thinnner but not much. that might be the type of look you are looking for.

good luck wiht all those jeans.

• 2 weeks later...