His Pres changed the prices on their regular '47 sugarcanes by $50?

obsessis

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I read something about a sugarcane price increase. I think someone said Barney's was gonna carry them or something? I forget... I may have just concocted that in my mind, haha.

Edited by PG2G on Feb 27, 2006 at 09:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the price hike is pretty messed. I was thinking about buying a pair for ages from HP, but fuck that now. My wife and I are thinking of going to Japan next December, so I'll pick up a pair or two of japanese denim then.

Um, but does anyone have that sweatshirt? Looks pretty nice.

--- Original message by Joe E Taleo on Feb 28, 2006 07:57 AM

yeah...i picked up the 'off-white' rickson sweat, and it's very nice...the best repro sweatshirt i have.

yeah i have the sweatshirt in a size medium 38-40, honestly, its a great sweatshirt since it is cut very trim, but mind you i have a 37 inch chest and 30 inch waiste, and take a 32inch sleeve on a dress shirt, if you are any larger than this in any dimension by more than 1 inch, the size m will be too small..

its a very slim fit, so just keep that in mind.

with that said its a great sweatshirt, but champion used to cut their sweatshirts this way back in teh day in the early 90's i put it up to my old sweatshirt same cut.. now they dont' do that anymore.

I have to say, the color of those premium Edo Ai's, #40500, isn't working for me. At all. That blue/green tint makes me queasy. My favorite of the bunch is the Okinawa #4030 (the ones on the right, #4040, are hawaiian, not Okinawan). Ok, so they're not hand-dyed, they're machine-dyed, big deal (unless you're a complete purist, or you just gotta have that tote bag), which, according to the text, is the only difference I can see. They both use the same "premium" fabric. And they don't cost $500 either. At $295, that's an easier pill to swallow. However, Rakuten has them for 16800 yen, that's about $150!! US. Those queasy looking premium Edo Ai's, #40500, by the way, are about $250. That's <u>half</u> of what HP is selling them for. Who are they kidding? And there are numerous denim-heads on this forum to help you with sizing matters. They helped me. Unless you have to have them yesterday, order overseas.

The folks at History Preservation read this forum? Well, listen up: Just who do you think you're dealing with? Thanks to the internet, this world is a whole lot smaller, nothing is really out of reach any longer. And often what you're looking for is far less expensive. So, are you listening History Preservation?!

Rakuten has those premium Edo Ai's for 16800 yen, or about $250 US!! I mean, really, who does History Preservation think they're kidding? Thanks to the internet this world is a whole lot smaller, nothing is really out of reach any longer, and often what one is searching for can be had less expensively. I know when I'm getting hosed. Are you listening History Preservation? We should stay on this topic just in case HP does read it. They're probably curious how people are reacting to all their new product. Let them know that "Yeah, we like the label and want to buy. But NOT from you."

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on Feb 28, 2006 at 10:52 AM

Quote:

Rakuten has those premium Edo Ai's for 16800 yen, or about $250 US!! I mean, really, who does History Preservation think they're kidding? Thanks to the internet this world is a whole lot smaller, nothing is really out of reach any longer, and often what one is searching for can be had less expensively. I know when I'm getting hosed. Are you listening History Preservation? We should stay on this topic just in case HP does read it. They're probably curious how people are reacting to all their new product. Let them know that "Yeah, we like the label and want to buy. But NOT from you."

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on Feb 28, 2006 10:47 AM

Not to defend History Preservation's price hikes but I think we're all being a bit short-sighted in thinking that we (SF'ers) are HP's primary consumers.

The fact that they can run an entire business model on selling authentic historic clothing means that there's a ton of ppl out there who obviously don't mind paying the $$$$ for this stuff.

Oh, man, I just posted something about this very thing. HP's website looks to be primarily geard to the WWII vintagist (is that a word? Should be). When I discovered them I found it odd/amusing that there was this crossover market. I wonder if their vintage market is really throwing down for Sugar Cane/Rickson? I'd love to know how this shakes out in revenue. A guy who may want to own a pair of Rickson's at $295 (which will no doubt increase as well, according to the info), does this same dude really have an interest in $500 Edo Ai's? I mean, the shit is all on the same page, but is it really the same person they're talking to? I'm wondering...

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on Feb 28, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Quote:

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on Feb 28, 2006 10:47 AM

16800 yen is more like $145. Throw in shipping, bid service, etc and your price is probably around 200. So while you were way off with the conversion, the point you were trying to make is way more pronounced.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, the price hike is pretty messed. I was thinking about buying a pair for ages from HP, but fuck that now. My wife and I are thinking of going to Japan next December, so I'll pick up a pair or two of japanese denim then.

Um, but does anyone have that sweatshirt? Looks pretty nice.

--- Original message by Joe E Taleo on Feb 28, 2006 07:57 AM

yeah...i picked up the 'off-white' rickson sweat, and it's very nice...the best repro sweatshirt i have.

--- Original message by Shorty Long on Feb 28, 2006 08:11 AM

if you're looking for double v repros check out the new pollock line at RRL...i picked up a really nice charcoal one...pricey though.