Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Les Invasions Barbares

Fight Club

Turks Fruit

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Amores Perros

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

yeah...as with all Wong Kar-Wai(Christopher Lloyd) films, visuals are so so so important. I watched a bunch of the trailers and even a few short 3 minute clips and it was awesome...just that whole 1930s look...and damn does Tony Leung look like Clark Gable or what in that film? Even the whole facial expression reminds me of Clark...wonder if it was intentional. Which is your favourite Kar-Wai film? So far from what I've read 2046 ain't anything near his best stuff.

BTW, glad to see someone here who actually appreciates these artsy fartsy films and loves the playing of colours and cinematography instead of all the mostly commercial stuff that everyone has mentioned so far. No offense though...I watch em too. Oh and did you see the music video for "Six Days" that Wong Kar-Wai directed for DJ Shadow? I have it......Most Kar-Wai fans just say it's awesome but I think it could've been much better though.

I hate everything and everyone.

Favorite Wong Kar-Wail film? Probably IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE. The music, the costumes, the atmosphere... I am totally engulfed by it everytime I watched it. After that would probably be FALLEN ANGELS. I love the wackiness, and the manic feel it has. Kaneshiro Takeshi is just great in it.

As for "Six Days," I just thought that it was pretty damn cool of DJ Shadow to get him to direct a video (and I wonder if it was hard to get him to do it). I thought it was nice. Did you also see the short he made for the first BMW "The Hire" series? That was cool too, although nothing amazing. What sucks is that I have the DVD for that, but the Wong Kar-Wai is not on it. Forrest Whitaker was an ass, and refused to let them have the DVD rights -- it started as an online-only project -- unless he got a BMW car. He eventually got one, and a future release of the DVD includes that short.

For 2046, I've pretty much ignored any reviews (except for the two gushing reviews in TIME), as I want to see it with no expectations. From all the trailers I've seen, I can't see myself not enjoying at least part of the film (the visual play).

Jean Snow

http://jeansnow.net

not sure if it was DJ Shadow himself who asked him to do it or his manager or A&R or whoever.

Yeah, I saw the whole BMW online series...gotta say the best of the first batch(the one where Wong Kar-Wai, Ang Lee and Guy Ritchie directed) was the Guy Ritchie one with Madonna in it.

Obvious Classics:

The Harder They Come--subtitled

Rockers

Style Wars--Supplemental disk!

The Hidden Fortress--Toshiro Mifune & Akira Kurosawa

Any Seijin Suzuki movie

Jules et Jim

Dirty Hands 2--French Graff

Ali, Fear Eats the Soul--basically all Criterion DVDs

Le Samourai

Contempt

Last Tango In Paris

Paid In Full

Yo Netflix is the ticket to exploring your sophisticated steez

The Italian Job (original sixties film with Michael Caine)

The Twilight Samurai

Lost in Translation

Snatch

Pulp Fiction

Leaving Las Vegas

The Odd Couple

L'Appartement

Subway (the 1985/6 French film)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Confidence

A Shot in the Dark (one of the first Pink Panther films)

Any Beat Takeshi film

Il Postino (for the beautiful scenery and colours)

Cinema Paradiso

Beruit

25th hour (thanks to supertalk)

Rushmore

Shaolin soccer

Talented Mr. Riply

The road home

Kirikou and the Sorceress

Robotech, the series

spirited away

So....How's your girl?

Edited by kole on Nov 17, 2004 at 11:14 AM

Quote:

It was a torrent, yeah, but I can't quite remember the name of the file. As far as I know, there are no real DVD rips out yet, just the screener. It didn't look that bad, but for this movie, I think the visuals are quite important.

--- Original message by Jean Snow on Nov 8, 2004 05:23 AM

guess what? I finished the download and opened it up and the quality was pretty good actually...not exactly DVD quality but it's good enough. But you know what? No fucking sound! I dunno what the heck but no fuckin sound! I'm fucking pissed now as it took days to download as I use my other computer to download and it's on some of the wireless connections floating around. Meaning I have no access to the port configurations and can't get any port open for listening and the tracker so my download rates are horriblly slow. I'm not gonna go download another torrent all over again.

Fuck it.

oh.. if i'm not mistaken, you're trying to watch 2046 on your computer. from one wkw fan to another, i advise you go catch it on the big screen first. the cinematography combined with the soundtrack are one of the most basic reasons why the overall appreciation of the movie should not be compromised on a small computer screen.

i'm not too much of a pro.. but perhaps you need the most up to date codec for quick time? i think the most up to date codec for divx is only suitable if you're using a divx player??? don't know if it will work!

let you in on a lil secret.. if it doesn't work and you really wanna watch it.. you can try purchasing the dvd online at http://www.4thdoorfilms.com i'm quite sure they carry it. good luck!

no...when you download the codec, although it comes with "the playa", it applies to all the media players you have on your system i.e. Windows media player, real player, Quicktime etc.

And as far as I'm concerned on the Mac, you only download the codec...the playa doesn't come bundled together like on a windows PC. Erm...I think my quicktime is pretty up to date. But I'll try to run an update again.

You mean the DVD's already out?