Refurbished Cameras?

doctorgnar

Or fakes? Anyone know of this being an issue? I've been looking for a Canon SD450 or SD550 and found some great prices online and at ghetto electronics stores on 14th and Canal sts -- I'm suspicious of these places selling cameras for a lot cheaper than the cheapest I saw them anywhere else, but even if they fell off a truck or are refurbished -- why not buy one?

might be nice to be able to return it if something broke in it, and frankly why contribute to criminal activity.

now refurbished is a completely different animal, i have a refurbished camera that i bought about 3 years ago that i've had no problems with

Edited by ten100switch on Jan 25, 2006 at 01:15 PM

If you live in the city, there's only a few places that you should buy digital equipment from:

B&H

Adorama

J&R Music World

www.amazon.com

www.dell.com

www.crutchfield.com

www.keh.com

I usually prefer Amazon or KEH Camera, as there's no sales tax. Sometimes, Adorama will lower their prices so much that the sales tax doesn't matter. All of these places offer great prices, first quality equipment, and a return policy. It's also alright to buy refurbished equipment from these vendors - provided that it comes with a warranty.

If you find a store that's signifcantly cheaper than all of these, then it's almost surely dishonest - especially if its located in South Brooklyn. That is the international home of bait-and-switch photo retailers.

Good luck!

in terms of ultra-compact cameras, i prefer the sony p-200 because i'm very sensitive to purple fringing and it exhibits the least by far, plus it has very long battery life, turns on quickly, has a very short shutter lag, etc. the canon is still good and it does have a nicer form factor.