America's Top 10 Unhappiest Cities

juliaN.

you guys have no idea how bad detroit is.

recently some urban explorers were playing ice hockey in the basement of an abandoned warehouse downtown and saw a dead guy halfway frozen under ice. he was not reported for two weeks and when he was reported it took two days for a fireman to come and verify. when a homeless man was asked about the situation he said "i did not recognize him by his shoes".

1 in 50 are homeless in detroit and i swear nobody in portland is afraid to pump gas like in detroit cos that's the number one way to get mugged. stick up kids running through your backyard. the city burning on devils night (night before halloween). shits just crazy. racist in oregon? try being white in detroit. my grandparents were tied up and left in a closet as their house god raided during the race riots. place has never recovered.

if your jeans even come close to fitting you will be clowned in public in a very scary way. i'd love to see some of ya'll slang talking college kids hang on the corners i used to live on.

i worked in a mall in detroit and a dude was stabbed with a screwdriver in the enterance of my store.

i jumped at the first chance i had to leave the city. that's how i ended up in boring chicago.

i doubt none of this.

STL crime statistics are jacked high due to the way the city is drawn. The city of St. Louis is actually a pretty small thing. The city limits contain all the bad stuff.

Outside of the city limits are all cracker burbs, but that is listed as St. Louis County, not city. The burbs do not lower crime statistics like they would if they were included.

What you do get with STL, though, is an unusually Republican population in a city of this size. STL does vote blue, but at work I am surrounded by people who drive into the city from elsewhere and they are ALL red.

People are amazingly conservative for an area with 6 mil people in it. STL is just a big, very very MIDWEST, town. Conservatism permeates everything here.

that's the whole point, though - the figures are per capita and at least somewhat standardized

they usually include a representative metro area anyway, and not just formal city boundaries

that's another fucked up thing about nola - even if you included the surrounding parishes beyond orleans, we would still be number 1 with a hail of bullets (as they like to say down here)

you have no idea how bad new orleans is

our murder rate is almost 50% higher than the nearest us city (can't remember if it's baltimore, detroit or the lou)

seriously, on some slums of rio type shit

the only reason we haven't been number one for the past decade is that they stopped reporting figures for a few years after the storm

n!gg@z get shot for any reason, anywhere, any time - card games, arguments at a fucking bowling alley, mardi gras parades, 11 in the morning on a bright sunny day

a fucking 14 year old just got charged with murdering an unarmed bartender as she was getting off work on one of the busiest streets in the quarter - no rape, no robbery, just shot her

people in the worst neighborhoods here can tell the difference between tec 9, mac 10 and ak fire by the sound - i know because i've asked plenty of them about it as part of my job

we have the highest incarceration, prison death, and public corruption rates in the country

on the other hand, the weather and titty bars are nice and you can drink outside

yall should come visit - get @ me

:)

After katrina most of the refugees from the disaster were relocated to Detroit due to the inexpensive readily available housing so we got some of ya'll round 'ere too.

It took a hurricane to destroy your city. My cities people did it to them selves.