That Denim Brand RMC

frankclapper

You may or may not have heard of the brand RMC (Red Monkey Company) that has been getting a lot of airtime in USA.

I must inform you all of the truth of RMC!!!!

RMC was recently started by a Hong Kong based Chinese guy who used to be the Hong Kong distributor for Evisu for a few years. During this time he got a hold of the suppliers for Evisu and started RMC. In other words, he’s attempting to basically copy Evisu.

His strategy is he pretends to be a Japanese guy making these great Japanese-originated jeans. But all he does is chuck on some “Japanese†designs onto the jeans he makes, which is in actual fact thrown together by a couple of Chinese amateur designers done on their spare time. Not even the Japanese people I know recognize the designs as Japanese. What is a “fun cat†anyway?

In a nutshell, how can a Chinese guy, who used to run a couple of shady stores in Hong Kong, now try to convince the world that the jeans company he somehow built is authentic Japanese??

The fact is RMC’s story is a complete farce. The designs are embarrassing. And due to the mismanagement of this “companyâ€, let me be the first to say this: you will see this brand dwindle away, most probably back to the Hong Kong rat alleys where it all began...

You must avoid RMC, or the joke is on you.

RMC should stand for “Really Minging Clothesâ€.

Regards,

F. Clapper

Sincerely,

Frank Clapper III

I don't really see why you're so against this, if he got hold of the evisu suppliers, then that means he's using the same japanese denim. Just because he has the same suppliers doesn't mean he's trying to copy them.

A lot of his prints are also traditionally chinese as well.

A simple search on google shows up results that tell the history of the company, ie. man from HK starts up a clothing line, so they're certainly not trying to hide it.

Isn't this how alot of companies start up? and aren't a whole lot of companies in Japan making Levi's replicas, ie copying the original design?

This is just another guy buying into the premium denim market, it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about and you're just hating on him cause he's chinese...

nairb49

Edited by nairb49 on Jan 4, 2006 at 05:49 AM

I continue to be surprised with the level of hostility some people have about fashion....I can't imagine why they are so worked up. For me, sites like this are places to discuss new brands, share info, and find out about stuff I would never come across just in my area......some of it I like, some I don't.....but really, I'm not gonna break all my crayons and cry in my milk if somebody else doesn't like the same jeans I do. A little maturity and perspective goes along way

Fuck....more shit to buy

• 1 year later...