Chinos?

Artielives5

I've been looking for a nice pair of chinos for a while, and was wondering if anyone would like to recomend any brands. My budget is around $75. Ideally, a strong heavy twill, in British Khaki, and a simple straight, and a little slim of a cut. For Chinos, i'm a 33x34.

Mostly I've been looking at "american staples" like Brooks Brothers, and Polo. I was going to buy some slim ones from Brooks Brothers, but they dont have my size. The same goes for most higher end brands. I found out J.Crew sells slim chinos online Unhemmed for about $65, plus shipping and Tax. In their store the rest of their pants seemed pretty high quality. What do you think?

If you can wait a little - I heard that Edwin will be releasing Chinos this year (outside of Japan). Looking at the quality of their denim those could/should be good. Pricing with Edwins is also very reasonable.

http://www.edwin.co.jp/lineup/finder.cgi?event=find&category0=6&menu_default=jeans

Only two styles up now. There were more, though...

Too many people talk too much about too many things they know too little about.

Quote:

go find some authentic military chinos from a vintage surplus store.

--- Original message by Blanc0 on Jan 4, 2006 01:07 PM

You make it sound easy! If I knew where a store was that carried WWII era military clothing, i'm sure i'd spend like all my money there. Does anyone know of a place in San Francisco where you can buy original WWII khakis?

• 2 weeks later...

Try WWII impressions. They do a repro chino that looks pretty good. Otherwise ebay for the real deal. I have been collecting WWII army chinos (Button fly with boatsail pocket liners) for years. I have probably 10 pairs and I also own a J crew pair and a pair of Bills Khakis. Neither of these very expensive khakis come close to the Lord and Galey Cramerton Army cloth chinos that I have collected over the years. Bill's claims that their are exact replicas of the WWII khaki and it just ain't so. The pocket liners are thin, the fit is wrong, the fabric feels stretchy and too light. My authentic WWII khakis are 50+ years old and I wear them starched to work about 3 times a week and they look better than the Bills or the JCREW. Try some 50s work pants, I collect them as well. I have several "LEE CHETOPA" with the Gripper Zipper from the 50s and they fit unbelievably well. Levis did a repro of a 50s work pant in the LVC line. I have a pair of the originals that this repro was made after and the repro is perfect. Try Aero Leather Clothing as well. They have a few of the Dockers "Cramerton Army Cloth button fly chinos. The cut is different from the originals (slimmer) but the fabric is dead on and well worth the asking price.

Atrociously bad. However, like I said, Dockers did make a line of chinos called K1 and they were replicas of the Lord and Galey "Cramerton Army Cloth" and those are absolutely killer and available on Aero Leather Clothing last time I checked. Kinda $$$ though but in my opinion worth every penny and much much better fit and fabric than Bill's M1 button fly.

The K1s are the closest fabric I have seen the original Army Khakis but the fit is much more modern. Anyone thinking of buying vintage Army Khakis should try them on first. They are VERY baggy with large legs and long rise and are worn very high waisted. (NOT for everyone) but the K1s are modern fitted (shorter rise) with the same great fabric. The best thing about the vintage chinos is that they were made kind of baggy fitting because they were designed really to be altered by a tailor for the individual. Every pair I have ever collected had excessive amount of extra material at the seams so they could be let out. Every pair I own have had the ass seam taken in to make them fit better.

• 2 years later...

Recently bought a pair of Carhartt work pants. Cost me 60USD and not only is it comfortable as hell, it's got a relative slim fit so that it's not ostentatiously baggy but yet not super slim or anything. Perfect fit, except I'd wish that it was slightly more tapered down at the bottom.

I highly recommend these. Definite quality as well and come in multiple colours if you should decide you want more, as I have.

Also on that note, what goes WELL with chinois? A lot of things I wear seem to look... strange. And nothing goes with it but black t-shirts. I think matching earth tones with other earth tones just start to look weird after awhile.

And with sneakers, aside from black sneakers, can anyone recommend any specific models that would go with them?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Also on that note, what goes WELL with chinois? A lot of things I wear seem to look... strange. And nothing goes with it but black t-shirts. I think matching earth tones with other earth tones just start to look weird after awhile.

And with sneakers, aside from black sneakers, can anyone recommend any specific models that would go with them?

Thanks.

OMFG.

i just foudn these yesterday,

and they woudl be bomb.

i need to pick these up for myself:

14281200833161004539325_L.jpg

pick em up at caliroots yo

• 14 years later...