How do you deal with sorta racist people?

computurd

Im not sure if he was being racist (give me your opinion, or am I just overreacting) because I HATE pulling the race card and I hate people who pull it out but this is the first time I think I have dealt with something close to it

So I was there at the cafeteria at my TAFE (equivalent to your community college I think) about to go sit with some people I have class with. There wasnt enough chairs so I went to the next table to get a seat to take over and said to the guy sitting there (mustve been in his mid 40's and I think he was some sort of school organizer) 'Hey do you mind if I grab a chair :)'

He then goes 'What was that?' Then I repeat 'Would you mind if I grab a seat or is someone sitting here' then he goes in an annoyed way 'Yeah go ahead take it but over here we say Can I BORROW the seat'

After that he started just going on about all this crap like 'Do you even know what a boomerang is?' I looked at him all confused, turn to my friends with a what the heck is this guy on about look, To which they said just ignore him. He then is heckling me for a bit asking stuff like 'Can you understand me?' I turned to him and just said 'Dude I was born here' then he goes 'oh I thought you couldnt understand me cos you were just ignoring me' The only reason I was ignoring him was because I was put off by the random **** he was going about about like boomerangs.

I mean seriously what was with that? Was it just because i said mind if I "grab" a chair instead of "borrow" a chair cos I was saying it in a polite friendly way. Im guessing if I was 'white' he most likely wouldnt have questioned what i said. Thats just how I talk and people in general talk casually, not everyone talks 100% proper, heck Im young and thats how a lot of young people talk.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you had a chair in your hand, WWF dude in the face.

Once I was at work (my current shitty as go-karting job) and I went up front to take a break and clock out on the computer and I said to my boss "I'm taking my 30". She says "okay" and then some redneck ass cutsomer says, "don't you guys normally have 40's".

I deal with small stupid shit like this constantly and I'm very surprised I haven't quit and/or stabbed any customers.

you had a chair in your hand' date=' WWF dude in the face.

Once I was at work (my current shitty as go-karting job) and I went up front to take a break and clock out on the computer and I said to my boss "I'm taking my 30". She says "okay" and then some redneck ass cutsomer says, "don't you guys normally have 40's".

I deal with small stupid shit like this constantly and I'm very surprised I haven't quit and/or stabbed any customers.[/quote']

Damn that sucks , I cant lie that was pretty funny. Still deserved to get snuffed though lol

Usually I just walk away because I'm not trying to catch a case, but if i have to ... GOOONNSSS!

im middle eastern, like inaya...but a little bit darker and my family members wear scarves on their heads.

so if someone looks at me/us weird i start cursing in arabic loudly being sure to throw in some osamas, jihads, infidels and of course ALLAHU AKBARs.

I'm middle eastern but regardless, I get called a cracker ass bitch like 3x per week here in ATL. :D

just don't let it get to you, the joke is on the racist people in the end.

Man, I totally get you. My mom is Cree and no one even believes that I'm am.. During the first month of class we had this 'talk about where you come from' thing and within a week I had two people literally say the same thing in an awful condensing tone, 'You may think you're native, but you're really....really....not..' And some dude was like, 'It must be fun pretending!"

timber: is your mom full blown native? alot of people have it mixed down in them. i do, but its not reconizable. canadians are so quick to call bullshit on people who claim native roots because they automatically assume your gonna ask for government handouts. its fucked.

timber: is your mom full blown native? alot of people have it mixed down in them. i do, but its not reconizable. canadians are so quick to call bullshit on people who claim native roots because they automatically assume your gonna ask for government handouts. its fucked.

My mom is Metis, so half Cree and half Scottish. Everyone in her family including her actually look native though, which didn't get passed down...

It's totally true though - the first thing people ask me when they find out I'm native is if I get free university/gas/cigarettes.

There is an homeless old black dude who routinely wanders around Berkeley/Oakland panhandling. Whenever you say you don't have anything he calls you poor and adds the appropriate cultural epithet. Thus far I have been called, "poor Asian fucker", "greedy ass Chink", and "cock-sucking slant-eyes".

FUCK

how do you deal with racist cops? I always get shit from cops. Is there a way that you can get back at cops without the nightstick and the sprinkle crack on you trick?

I ran from a cop once when my cousin threw a rock at him because he called us gooks .

are cops basically exempt from taking punishment for narrow-mindedness?

Man, I totally get you. My mom is Cree and no one even believes that I'm am.. During the first month of class we had this 'talk about where you come from' thing and within a week I had two people literally say the same thing in an awful condensing tone, 'You may think you're native, but you're really....really....not..' And some dude was like, 'It must be fun pretending!"

they just mad they failed the paper bag test man.

The "brown paper bag test" was a ritual once practiced by certain African-American and Creole fraternities and sororities who discriminated against people who were "too dark." That is, these groups would not let anyone into the sorority or fraternity whose skin tone was darker than a paper lunch bag, in order to maintain a perception of standards.

that sucks. x_x I guess the only people who don't think I look M.E. are the ones who don't know what Lebanese people look like, because I look really typical of my ethnicity.

it's so racist here, by all parties... it's bizarre after spending most of my life in Boston. here in Atlanta, the suburbs are tons of white, racist, close minded bible belt rednecks, but on the other token... inside the city, there are so many racist black people... they think slavery is still going on. it doesn't matter if you're hispanic, middle eastern, whatever... basically, if you're not black, you're a cracker and are the devil. :o