first starch!

nairb49

I recently got my first pair of selvage jeans. They are a one wash. They were only semi-stiff and lost it in a couple of days. They are developing creases but they are not extremely defined. Is starching the only way to get interesting wear? Or will leaving them as is still provide good results??

honey, you're my religion

Even though you haven't yet expanded

To include a heaven after

Even though I have demanded it

Guest Montreal

I was gonna make another thread but I might as well post my question here:

Where do you buy starch? What kind of starch do you buy?

Honestly, these might sound like stupid questions but I'm clueless when it comes to the stuff, and to be quite frank, my Nudie's are getting a little too soft for my liking.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:

I recently got my first pair of selvage jeans. They are a one wash. They were only semi-stiff and lost it in a couple of days. They are developing creases but they are not extremely defined. Is starching the only way to get interesting wear? Or will leaving them as is still provide good results??

--- Original message by LIVENUDEGIRLS on Nov 23, 2005 09:24 PM

i would assume without starching, the wear will be more sploches, big patches of wear, instead of defined creases caused by stiff fabric wearing on the edges

I bought my starch from Walmart, the brand was called Easy On.

I have pretty defined creases on my jeans now, I stopped starching while wearing them. Now I normally starch the jeans without wearing them and let them dry over night.

I don't starch them inside out, the jeans get soaked with starch so it doesn't matter.

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

You can purchase them from a walmart type store, usually supermarkets or drugstores basically anywhere that sells laundry detergent and clothes cleaning products. Liquid-pour starches tend to be better than aerosols I find. There are a few recipes for making your own starch on this board if you use the search function. Just corn starch really.

I have tried the starching behind the knees and the crotch area and sitting down until the starch dries - while i've had some success with this technique, i'm tired of having wet nuts. Besides wearing them while the starch dries, is there any other good ways to have jeans dry while they are wet with starch?

Should I hang them up? Should I crunch them up into a ball, any ideas??

Edited by Sauce on Nov 24, 2005 at 12:24 AM

I only started starching a few months ago and haven't seen major effects. I read something on the my nudies forum a while back that I tried yesterday and I think it worked way better than starching.

I splashed some water all around the pockets and crotch of my Ralphs (where the whiskers have been developing) and sat down with my legs kinda crossed (to make the jeans crease) until they had started to dry.

I found that this made more creases, and that they were a lot more defined. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't remove any indigo 'cause it just moves the die around on the jeans and it doesn't run off anywhere like it does if you soak them.

I'm also sick of starching and wearing wet gross jeans (I starch 'em inside out, maybe that's my problem) so i'm going with water from now on... but not too frequently.

Rock on!

Haha, i'm back home for Thanksgiving weekend and my mom caught me starching my APC's, she gave me a weird look and asked if i wanted her to wash my jeans. I yelled "NooO, i haven't washed these for two months" and got an even weirder look and she threatened to wash them when i sleep. I guess i'm going to have to hide them for the next couple days.

Quote:

I only started starching a few months ago and haven't seen major effects. I read something on the my nudies forum a while back that I tried yesterday and I think it worked way better than starching.

I splashed some water all around the pockets and crotch of my Ralphs (where the whiskers have been developing) and sat down with my legs kinda crossed (to make the jeans crease) until they had started to dry.

I found that this made more creases, and that they were a lot more defined. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't remove any indigo 'cause it just moves the die around on the jeans and it doesn't run off anywhere like it does if you soak them.

I'm also sick of starching and wearing wet gross jeans (I starch 'em inside out, maybe that's my problem) so i'm going with water from now on... but not too frequently.

Rock on!

--- Original message by chapital on Nov 25, 2005 04:11 PM

hmm. how often do you do tt splish splash thing?? sounds good..

Only done it once so far, which was a few days ago. Since then the new creases that developed after the water dried are still there, but of course they've softened up a bit. When I starched, the creases seemed to pretty much vanish within 1-2 days, except for the ones that were already pretty defined.

I'll probably try some water again in a few days to see if it keeps working.

I tried the aerosol cans for a bit, then yesterday I bought the liquid starch....it's like bringing the starching game to a whole new level. I don't think they were even this rigid when I bought these Denime. Get the liquid starch. These things stand up on their own. Almost to an uncomfortable level of wearing.

tons of stuff for sale now on ebay: corpus, Rag & Bone, Helmut Lang, levi's premium, Gap, vintage etc.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid