Cuil plans to overtake google.

broneck

this method of result conveyance doesn't work because it doesn't adhere to the conventional idea of how a search engine is supposed to be.

for example, if I wanted to search for every appearance of someone's name on the internet, a simple Google search would show every occurrence in a list fashion. this type of search would not be suitable for the 'panel type' conveyance Cuil offers.

currently, Google is by far the best service to use, but the design and style of their page needs to change. web pages should have dark backgrounds, not white. the styling of the Cuil home page is ideal.

Something about legibility apparently

i disagree though, my favorite way to read online is black sans serif type on an off-white background, plus some kind of border.

cuil is a cop out in terms of the black background too, the actual search results are on a white (off-white? cant tell on my phone) background.

curious as to why this is so? explain?

l e s s e y e s t r a i n

Something about legibility apparently

i disagree though, my favorite way to read online is black sans serif type on an off-white background, plus some kind of border.

cuil is a cop out in terms of the black background too, the actual search results are on a white (off-white? cant tell on my phone) background.

I suppose dark backgrounds are not suitable for text, but at the very least, it should not be white. Google would be much easier on the eyes if they made it off white.

Guest jeffvyain

interesting... these are things i should know already. Did anyone mention the OLED technology in that supergreen thread? if not, it oughta be in there, but i'm lazy.

They'll never overtake Google...

Google is so much more than a search provider that we won't see Google services be overtaken for the next couple of decades. You have to think about their whole 'product suite' and business model and how it all works with their searching/indexing. Cuil has nothing close to this and its doubtful they'll reach anywhere near Google's status. Not to mention, they're trying to be TOOO web 2.0 with their color schemes/layout/fonts etc and thus will lose out on a lot HUGE amount of users in the 35+ range... Web 2.0 is already on the way out and they're just getting in the game. They're trying to break the norm a little too much and that's going to be lost on a lot of people. For instance, as people have already mentioned, the results are displayed in a very different fashion that typical search providers...

I like their technology and admire their spirit and zest, but it'll just be another quick takeover.

From Supergreen Eco ideas thread:

Im still suspicious if this is true, most people now a days use LCD screens, which use almost all there power too light up the screen, not to just the polarity of the little crystals in the screen, so unless your monitor is off or on sleep mode, it will use almost exact same ammount of energy. Its just another stupid fucking idea from people who don't know what there doing.

But correct me if i'm wrong, what do i know

edit: beaten, sorry