Going to Japan - - where to go for denim?

flared27

just look around, youre in the promised land...oh yeah, if i were going to japan, i would visit every denim shop i could, just because. why do you go to japan for "all the favorites''. i hope that by favorites you dont mean all of the already popular labels here on sufu!?!

go to Tokyo,

go to Ueno,

go to the street next to the rail line,

go to the shops with the jeans and brightly coloured hawain shirts and vietnam styled jackets...

buy jeans

then cross the road, go to Mosburger, and get a mosburger, eat it.

Be sure to get your denim chainstitched while you're in Ueno. The guy will size your denim and add the correct shink tolerance to the chainstitch hem.

I recommend to check out Americaya. There are several Americaya stores along the road of shops. Just ask for Samurai, Flathead or SDAs and they'll take you to this small alley and up the stairs is where you'll find the promise land of demin.

You can use your Amex or Visa credit cards, but must pay cash for the chainstitch. 800yen

If your ATM is from the US, the japanese ATMs won't accept your card. I couldn't find any international banks around Ueno.

The best part of getting your denim in Japan, is you get the red tab and original arcs. None of the neutered US import denim without the arcs and tabs.

You can use your Amex or Visa credit cards, but must pay cash for the chainstitch. 800yen

This must be new, I've been going to Americaya for the last 8 years, never once had to pay for chainstitching.

This must be new, I've been going to Americaya for the last 8 years, never once had to pay for chainstitching.

You sure it was chain stitched? They said I could take them home and soak/wash etc. and come back with the jeans and reciept and they would do a normaal hem for free, but a chain stitch would be 800 yen. This was the Shibuya store. They had a machine in there to do a normal stitch, but I'm guessing they would have to send them off to do the chain stitch because they said it would take a few days if chain stitched. Better than Denim Dr though, charged me 1600 yen!!!

yeah I never paid for chain stitching and I've bought at least 4 pairs of jeans there. I always go to the one in Ueno, not looking gaijin probably helps. The turn around depends on the guy doing the work is there or not.

i just got back from jap land...

basically you break your trip into a few different areas...

area#1 - [shibuya/harajuku/omotesando/aoyama]

*pretty much everything in this whole area is walkable... get off either in shibuya or for a shorter walk harajuku... omotesando and aoyama has a large concentration of denim or so called rakuten stuff in the side streets... so without a map pointing to it exactly you might miss a few... (just remember there wont be anything too interesting on the main road, unless like the biggest polo in asia, yes there's rrl in that too)

area#2 - (ebisu, daikanyama)

*personally didnt go to this area but there are a few shops which could be visited... i would personally recommend evisu tailor... so you could get your pockets painted in a tokyo only colour... haha

area#3 - (ueno)

*everybody has been spot on in recommending this area... a straight stretch of denim, leather, hawaiian shirts blah blah... includes like 3 hinoyas, 2/3 americayas, jalana... and if you get hungry there are plenty of reasonably priced food... and super large takoyaki balls...

be sure to print out indigofan's denim map for all these places... i could say that i'm a pretty good navigator... but with a normal map and just addresses it took me a while... (apart from ueno) if you ask for directions you would be pointed to the area and the chome but then these chomes could easily be 10X10 blocks wide...