Health & beauty thread

Ichigo100%

I thought I would perhaps dedicate a thread to health and beauty.. I've always been into skin care and thought it would be nice to see how others maintain healthy looking skin.. Fashion spot has a similar thread but I thought superfuture should have one of our own..

From health tips to skin care advice, this is the thread to come to..

I like to use Nivea for my face only because I find their products to not be as strong as other brands I've used in the past.. I'm still trying to find an alternative though, perhaps more organic or more natural creams and cleansers..

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this may come off as disgusting to some, I tend to eat sardines a lot..They're very rich in omega 3 fatty acids which maintain a healthy heart... It also helps to control blood sugar level and helps to prevent Alzheimer's disease..

I drink 3-5 bottles of water a day on average with the occasional 6 in there if necessary..

ya another +rep to the agua. i drink like half a gallon or more a day. and cardio some running been trying to build up my running time.

I use acne free the nock off of proactiv i get it from costco ... keeps me decently clear i must say.

edit*** a good smashing also helps with the cardio. shhaaaanaaahh I meeeeens.

Jane,

Without resorting to a stupid comment, I'll say this. If you want to achieve soul glow, it's best that you try to meditate 15-20 mins a day.. Doing so will lower your blood pressure and of course lower high stress levels.. Stress is one of the leading factors of unhealthy skin...

Your soul will glow if you do it on a daily basis

^god i tried that so many times! but i'm going to keep trying until i can really do it, my brain never shuts up when i try to meditate...but i'd really like to learn to. i might try going to a meditation center, maybe i'd be able to focus better.

damn, skiniks beat to it.

soulglow.gif

i wash my face once a day. i find that washing my face anymore than that it dries my face out from all the cholrine and shit in tap water. i wash in the morning and use makeup remover at night because i heard sleeping with makeup on messes up your face.

GET YOUR SLEEP AND WEAR SUNBLOCK. i know you probably hear this a lot, but it really helps.

The best thing in my opinion when meditating is to let your thoughts come to you.. When you try to force your thoughts out of your head you're actually creating more tension in your body.. Let the thoughts flow through and eventually they will dissipate..

It all depends on what time you meditate as well.. I usually tend to meditate when my mind is at ease usually after work or after school, although the best times would be right before you go to bed and in the morning prior to work or school..

Find a place in your house that is moderately lukewarm-cool in temperature and of course no distractions.. When meditating, it's good to have your hands in your lap as opposed to having them resting on your knees.. I know a lot of people would say otherwise but i find that my breathing is much more fluent when my hands are placed in my lap..

When doing so, place your left hand above your right hand as if you're holding a child in your hands..Form a triangular shape with both your thumbs to create a balance.. Breathe from the abdominals and not the chest

Although this may come off as disgusting to some, I tend to eat sardines a lot..They're very rich in omega 3 fatty acids which maintain a healthy heart... It also helps to control blood sugar level and helps to prevent Alzheimer's disease..

I drink 3-5 bottles of water a day on average with the occasional 6 in there if necessary..

yo how do you cook your sardines? do you eat canned sardines or fresh from the fish market.

To be quite honest, I do a bit of both.. My parents buy it from the market sometimes but we usually buy it in the tin and cook it.. I try to avoid eating it often because of the mercury..

But what I usually do is I take it out of the tin and let it cook on the stove then i usually add a bit of seasonings to give it some extra flavour, or if i'm lazy I just eat it raw but add a bit of pepper to give it some kick.. Soy sauce tastes great with it as well..

Fish oil is great shit, my mom used to give them to me when I was younger.. Really great for the skin, keeps it looking firm and luminous. I haven't used them in a long time though, I guess because lately I've been in school and havent had much of an opportunity to really do much searching for organic products..

This is unrelated to what I was just talking about but I know lips are important too.. After brushing i tend to massage my lips with the bristles to remove any dead skin then i apply vaseline to conceal the moisture.. I find this works extremely well and I don't have dry lips as much as I used to

Fish oil is great shit, my mom used to give them to me when I was younger.. Really great for the skin, keeps it looking firm and luminous. I haven't used them in a long time though, I guess because lately I've been in school and havent had much of an opportunity to really do much searching for organic products..

This is unrelated to what I was just talking about but I know lips are important too.. After brushing i tend to massage my lips with the bristles to remove any dead skin then i apply vaseline to conceal the moisture.. I find this works extremely well and I don't have dry lips as much as I used to

You on some serious Patrick Bateman tip.

Water is the key to everything. I go through a 4L jug of water a day on average (.99 at sav-a-center). I also run like 4.5K every night, and exercise helps relieve stress, and gets the bad shit out of your skin.

I'm with transparent Cranium on this one, Benzoyl-Peroxide is the shit for spot treatment and pimple prevention. I use 5%, only at nighttime before I go to bed, because it dries up and flakes like crazy. I wash my face in the morning with Cetaphil, then use Cetaphil moisturizer almost immediately when I get out of the shower.

Other than that, I take about 4000mg of Flax seed oil a day. It contains a great amount of Omega-3 fatty acids and is supposed to be good for hair/nails/skin. In direct relation to health, drinking a lot of water will really improve everything. Drink it even when you're not thirsty. You feel so rejuvenated, and a lot of the times when you THINK you're hungry, you're actually just thirsty, so it helps curve your appetite and lose weight :)

what kind of sunscreen is good to use? like what brand, organic (is there such a thing?), or oil free etc.

and what face wash/exfoliator work well? i know it depends on your skin but what a good general face wash/exfoliator?

I usually use Nivea's oil cleanser and exfoliation cream... Both work exceptionally well on dry skin and help lock in the moisture..

I havent done much research on more organic products but if you want a nice face wash try out bioderma which is great on sensitive skin, also try Biore, biotherm both of which are great as well..

Another tip when it comes to your face.. I suggest avoid using the same face cloth on your face daily as a lot of old bacteria tends to linger around which can cause blackheads to appear.. Have at least 2 substitute face cloths 3 if necessary..

A co worker of mine mentioned this to me and said not to wash your face with cold water after you sweat as it's not good for your pores.. It actually weakens them which can cause blackheads to appear after some time.. Best to wash your face with lukewarm water

what kind of sunscreen is good to use? like what brand, organic (is there such a thing?), or oil free etc.

and what face wash/exfoliator work well? i know it depends on your skin but what a good general face wash/exfoliator?

i personally love Dr. Hauschka's sunscreen cream because it isn't too thick and it contains natural ingredients. my brother used it and said his skin also became firmer after several months of using it.

Good thread.

I used to get whiteheads and clogged pores, since my skin produces lots of oil. My regimen to prevent this:

1. Wash face in morning with lukewarm water

2. Apply aloe vera gel + sunscreen

3. Wash face during nighttime with lukewarm water + glycolic face wash (or Cetaphil cleanser on alternating days)

4. Apply aloe vera gel

I also get a facial every month.

for internal use: fish oil

does anybody find that fish oil gives them weird dreams? i took it for a couple weeks last semester and it consistently gave me very weird dreams. i enjoyed them but i thought it was weird, my friends took it and some of them had weird dreams too. i left them at my friend's room and never bothered to buy more though.

Another tip when it comes to your face.. I suggest avoid using the same face cloth on your face daily as a lot of old bacteria tends to linger around which can cause blackheads to appear.. Have at least 2 substitute face cloths 3 if necessary..

I concur. I actually use facial tissues instead of face cloths now.

If you're using face cloths, do not put pressure while wiping your face because it will cause wrinkles. This also applies to putting any creams or washing your face. Always be gentle to your face. I'm sure you don't want a wrinkly face later on.

After I finish washing my face, I usually just dab my face with my cloth and quickly apply my facial cream.. I massage the cream into my skin doing a 360 degree motion, this works extremely well because it relaxes my face muscles also