chinatown cellphone dealers?

tofu

i'm sure most of you know the deal...

go to a non-authorized dealer, sign a new contract, and get otherwise expensive unlocked phones for a heavy discount (due to the commission they make on new sign-ups).

i'm in the market for an 8600 luna or 8800 arte, and i was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with those shady shops (and could possibly name one that he or she has used). it's been a while since i've purchased a phone.

edit: i am with t-mobile

Are the discounts in chinatown really that great? Looking to upgrade phone soon and maybe renew contract.

apparently

but you'll most likely lose your current phone #, as a completely new line must be activated.

according to what i have read, people get deals like two iphones for $200.

it's a shady practice, but most non-authorized dealers do it. just need to find a trustworthy one that honors rebates, will help you cancel your old line, and will streamline the entire process so you don't get screwed down the road.

I bought my current phone at a random shop in Chinatown NYC. From what I remember, they gave me a good deal on my Samsung E900 b/c I paid them cold hard cash. As usual, you can bargain a bit in those shops. No problems with my service/phone number either as I didn't sign a new contract or anything.

iono how it is in NYC but in LA those shops are legit. Theyll usually hook it up if you open a new contract with them especially if its like a big plan family line 2 phones etc etc.

no discounts if u want to keep ur service with Tmobile, maybe 50 bucks off thats about it...

unless u willing to switch to AT&T... then u get about 200 bucks off the phone. more if u get an expensive plan... $80+ a month i think

no discounts if u want to keep ur service with Tmobile, maybe 50 bucks off thats about it...

unless u willing to switch to AT&T... then u get about 200 bucks off the phone. more if u get an expensive plan... $80+ a month i think

yes, i am aware the deals work based off comission. i wasn't planning renewing my contract, but rather opening a new account on the same service.

I'm going to be signing up for a new contract sometime this summer and I was curious as to whether I should make a trip down to NYC for this (I live in CT.) Can you really get a good deal on a new phone + activation/subscription in these places as opposed to my local AT&T outlet?

you cant close ur existing line and open a new line on the same acct right away theres a 3 month grace period or something like that.

(well that was back then, not sure about now... haven't opened a new phone service ever since i got the SERO plan...)

get ur mom or friend to open up the service if anything...

ghost - in most cases yes.... normally $200, more or less 20 dollars, depending on the commission ATT decides to dish out for that month... not sure about the iphone

go to several stores, avg 10-30 dollar difference...

its a bitch and a hassle... but yes... took 2 of my friends a week, my gf took 2 weeks

but the plan is totally worth the trouble... where else u gonna get 500mins, nights and weekend starting @ 7pm, unlimited data and text for 30 bucks a month plus tax?

but the plan is totally worth the trouble... where else u gonna get 500mins, nights and weekend starting @ 7pm, unlimited data and text for 30 bucks a month plus tax?

whoa, is it seriously only $30/month for all that? will those prices apply for the iphone 3G as well? and where is this place?

I'm currently under a family plan on AT&T, but I'd like to officially terminate that through AT&T and THEN go to chinatown to get a new phone and a plan of my own, also on AT&T. Will I need to wait 3 months, as you mentioned above, or does that not apply in this situation?

its a bitch and a hassle... but yes... took 2 of my friends a week, my gf took 2 weeks

Thats not exactly true..

The simply everything plan is easily the cheapest one you can get but it isn't $30 a month.

its $69.99 for 450 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm and unlimited text and data

its $89.99 for 900 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm and unlimited text and data

its $99.99 for unlimited minutes, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm and unlimited text and data

That's still absolutely worth it if you ask me. And the other dude was right, you cannot cancel your contract and reopen a new contract right away.

I just want to use this next sentence to vent out my frustration for the lack of cutting-edge phones on verizon. fuck you verizon.

Guest The City

I have the 500 minutes Sprint SERO and it's $30 + tax, nights starting at 7pm is $5 more I believe, unlimited nights & weekends, unlimited data.

whoa, is it seriously only $30/month for all that? will those prices apply for the iphone 3G as well? and where is this place?

I'm currently under a family plan on AT&T, but I'd like to officially terminate that through AT&T and THEN go to chinatown to get a new phone and a plan of my own, also on AT&T. Will I need to wait 3 months, as you mentioned above, or does that not apply in this situation?

haha nah the $30/month is the SPRINT SERO Plan not for AT&T... sorry

but if u still decide to terminate your service and open a new one, as long as the new service isn't the same person who opened the family plan, then u dont need to wait 3 months

Thats not exactly true..

The simply everything plan is easily the cheapest one you can get but it isn't $30 a month.

its $69.99 for 450 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm and unlimited text and data

its $89.99 for 900 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm and unlimited text and data

its $99.99 for unlimited minutes, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm and unlimited text and data

That's still absolutely worth it if you ask me. And the other dude was right, you cannot cancel your contract and reopen a new contract right away.

I just want to use this next sentence to vent out my frustration for the lack of cutting-edge phones on verizon. fuck you verizon.

bill.jpg

well it doesnt say unlimited text on it, but its there.... EVDO is the Data

bumping this to the top for a quick question. I'm eligible for a new phone from AT&T, so I can probably get a discounted price on the blackberry bold. can these chinatown spots give me a good deal on a voice/data plan as well? or am I better off just going to my local mall to cop my discounted BB and the standard voice/data package?

they can't offer you special plans that aren't already available, but you'll get a cheaper price on the phone

i ended up buying my 8600 luna on ebay. came out to $342 after the discounts. was sure a pain in the ass sifting through all the fakes.

try calling them up, ask them if theres any discount for extending your contract, if u're a long time customer with AT&T, retentions will usually give you a better deal on a new phone, + a discount on ur monthly bill... (about 5 bucks a month or so)