Ok, my Nudie RR dry selvage are officially too big for me

john11f

After almost a month of constant use, my Nudie RRs are just too big. Although I've shrunk to a waist 33, I got a 34 thinking that is really the size I'd want to maintain. But even if I had a waist 34, it is still too big for me. I think they've stretched out at least 1 size bigger. People here say that it'll shrink 3% after the first wash but that's 5 months from now. Is spraying water in the waist really shrink them. I don't mind the fit since I don't like it slim/tight but I'm a bit wary that it's gonna be a bit big for me in the long run.

The color and whiskering has been awesome though. It's been fading where I'd want them to so, I have mixed feeling with the pair. I'm probably the only person complaining here that I should grow my waist more! LOL!

yeah, spraying water inside the waistband will shrink it down a bit. the expansion issue has always been a problem when you're trying to go for months without washing...just the price you have to pay. icon_smile_big.gif

if it was easy, everybody and their mothers would be doing it.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Hey I would recommend spraying with water (not too much) and either sundrying (be careful changes fading profile) or placing in front of convection heater. This will shrink them a little with out ruining your creasing etc..

However, it may be worth buying a new pair cause they'll just keep expanding everytime you wear them...

I know a man who really likes tight jeans, when he buys his raw he makes sure he can only get the second top button done up. He wears it with a long shirt for the first day at the house and then they expand to the right size.

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

Awe man! I don't think I can afford to fork another $265 for another pair. Like I said, I could use another 5-10lbs that would make my waist back to my normal 34. If that's the case, the jeans will be just fine with a belt. But if you guys are saying it will just keep on stretching, I'm in trouble! I don't mind it a bit loose but another 5% stretch is not tolerable. I think I'll just wash them earlier that planned. It will ruin my intention to give the denim a nice contrast in color, at least I can use them in a normal way. If I wash them regularly after my 6 month schedule, will it shrink more and more??

Also, be careful of the no washing for long periods of time. Genital fungi is no laughing matter so underpants are necessary.

Seriously though, cause raw/dry denim is very abrasive inner groin can become very worn out if you don't wash after >6months, ie. holes and thinning denim. To get creasing set in I reckon 4-6 months is fine.

Make sure you turn them inside out and line dry them...

Quote:

Hey I would recommend spraying with water (not too much) and either sundrying (be careful changes fading profile) or placing in front of convection heater. This will shrink them a little with out ruining your creasing etc..

However, it may be worth buying a new pair cause they'll just keep expanding everytime you wear them...

I know a man who really likes tight jeans, when he buys his raw he makes sure he can only get the second top button done up. He wears it with a long shirt for the first day at the house and then they expand to the right size.

--- Original message by johninger on Sep 19, 2005 06:30 PM

how does it change the fading profile?

strong UV light (strong sunlight) can by itself oxidise indigo and denature some of the loose chemical bonds it has with the cotton. UV light in combination with some gases (ie. ozone which is becoming increasingly more prevalent) can change lndigo into lsatin, a yellowish chemical.

Please do not misunderstand me though this phenomenon will not affect our personal jeans much, but if you were to sun dry them everyday they would fade quicker than normal and perhaps turn a not so nice blue.

Sorry if explanation is poor...

strong UV light (strong sunlight) can by itself oxidise indigo and denature some of the loose chemical bonds it has with the cotton. UV light in combination with some gases (ie. ozone which is becoming increasingly more prevalent) can change lndigo into lsatin, a yellowish chemical.

Please do not misunderstand me though this phenomenon will not affect our personal jeans much, but if you were to sun dry them everyday they would fade quicker than normal and perhaps turn a not so nice blue.

strong UV light (strong sunlight) can by itself oxidise indigo and denature some of the loose chemical bonds it has with the cotton. UV light in combination with some gases (ie. ozone which is becoming increasingly more prevalent) can change indigo into isatin, a yellowish chemical.

Quote:

I'll buy them for $175.

--- Original message by minya on Sep 19, 2005 08:43 PM

Wow minya that's a tempting offer.icon_smile_big.gif But I'll stick it out with this pair. So, beyond 6 months it's not gonna matter that much in terms of having the contrasting effect huh? Then I guess I have 5 months to go! Urrgghh....

to be honest i think you'll be good with 3-4 months just as long as your natural creasing pattern is formed.

My second pair of Imperial Raw Dukes had to be washed when I got vomited on in an airplane trip. Long story but they were only 3 months old. After careful washing they still fold in all the same places and now 8 months in they are really contrast.

Quote:

to be honest i think you'll be good with 3-4 months just as long as your natural creasing pattern is formed.

My second pair of Imperial Raw Dukes had to be washed when I got vomited on in an airplane trip. Long story but they were only 3 months old. After careful washing they still fold in all the same places and now 8 months in they are really contrast.

--- Original message by johninger on Sep 19, 2005 10:55 PM

That's quite enlightening Johninger. After the the first wash, do wash them every months thereafter? Or could I wash them once a week just to make them shrink more?

Well this is hard question, firstly please understand that washing more want shrink more. The weave will have a point where it cannot contract anymore. When you wear, it will relax, the washing/drying will contract weave.

The point regarding contrast. Please understand history of jeans... Originally there is no such thing as wash (industrial laundry). People broke in their jeans from the raw denim by riding horses, mining, putting up fences etc. (you get the point). Cats whiskers, kneeback ruffles, fading in the seat and thighs are all a result of this wearing in process.

This is the styles cheating brands try to copy in their industrial laundry process, to give an authentic vintage wash, but i find them all very fake and overprocessed.

Anyway back to my point, indigo runs in water. So the more you wash the more they fade obviously. Now where they fold, crease and get rubbed it will in effect physically loosen the indigo from the fibre creating contrast in these areas.

This contrast is only possible when there is heaps of indigo in the fabric and when the fabric is stiff enough to fold and crease. You'll notice that many times washed jeans and industrial washed jeans drape more naturally, once it gets to this stage its harder to create whiskers etc. Also, if you wash it many times then there will not be enough indigo left to create this contrast.

So in short i wouldn't wash every week but do not be to worried if you wash before 6 months, and a couple of times after that.