Brewing Beer

PaperSt.

I saw Alton Brown do this on Good Eats once, it looks fairly easy, not much actual work, just really waiting for the hops ferment. I probably have space in my apartment, but Im a bit too lazy. The biggest most important part of it is sterilization, everything needs to be bleached so there is no contamination. You should check out ebay, I bet lots of people have bought the set and never got off their ass to do it.

Oh, I remember my father did this once with some of his friends at a place that gives you all the stuff and holds everything for you. He did something wrong in the bottling process and all of the bottles exploded in our refrigerator.

Are you from So Cal? There is a place in Huntington Beach called Brew Bakers thta is like that. They teach you how to do it and supply all the equipment and ingredients.Me and my friend might do that first then try it on our own.

PaperSt: That kit is legit. You just need a huge pot (at least 5 gal) for the boil.

As far as sterilization goes....that kit comes with what looks like food grade sanitizer......1000 times better than bleach. If you are going to use bleach, make sure it is unscented.

also....the hops aren't fermenting. hops add to the taste only, and have nothing to do with the alcohol content. the yeast is fermenting. basically the yeast "eats" the sugars that are contained in the malted barley giving off CO2 and alcohol in the process.

Few of my friends did it and after tasting the results I must say that money is better spend on beer itself than on equipment to brew it. (I used to make vodka in my bathtub when I was in high school, much more fun with better tasting results although I'm pretty sure you can't purchase a kit anywhere)