denime and studio d'artisan sizing help

jdavis

should i buy my size in either denime or studio d'artisan? is anyone here familiar with their sizing?

all the sites i've seen talk about shrinkage of about 1 size, but nowhere does it say if the shrinkage is included on the tag like sugarcanes.

i'd appreciate the help and also any feedback from any of you that have broken in a pair. i've wanted a pair for a long time now. they really sound great.

Quote:

should i buy my size in either denime or studio d'artisan? is anyone here familiar with their sizing?

all the sites i've seen talk about shrinkage of about 1 size, but nowhere does it say if the shrinkage is included on the tag like sugarcanes.

i'd appreciate the help and also any feedback from any of you that have broken in a pair. i've wanted a pair for a long time now. they really sound great.

--- Original message by jdavis on Sep 14, 2005 04:27 PM

Dry shrink to fit Studio D'Artisan's pretty much shrink to tag size and then may stretch back out an inch, depending on how you wear them. Not sure about their left-hand Lee repro.

Dry shrink to fit Denime's shrink about 10%. And in my experience buy the tag size a couple of inches bigger than your true size (like LVC).

Hope that helps.

Edited by ringring on Sep 15, 2005 at 08:41 AM

Yeah, I'm basing my guess of the leg on Bears' "tightness scale"; it ranks a 4 on there (same as the Denime XX). The 0105 looks like a pretty good choice for us larger-legged guys.

edit: ringring, could you compare the 0105 to the 5EP Low Down jean? That jean, when I tried it on, seemed to have a higher rise than, say, the Regular Ralf but seemed "modern" enough that I wouldn't call it a "traditional" jean.

Edited by minya on Sep 16, 2005 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Do you guys know how each of these fit? I can't tell by the pictures and there's no description.

In the D'artisan site there's a sizing guide. If you can't understand it, just ask for help here.

The 105 and the 103 are very similar, they are slim and low-rise. the 105 is narrower through the knee, a bootcut, while the 103 is straight.

The 101 is a classic fit.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, understanding how much a pair of jeans will shrink is very hard on these translated japanese sites, so I'd just go for a pair of sanforized jeans instead, then you can wear them raw too.

I have found a few pairs that are sanforized;

Studio D'Artisan: SD-201, SD-202, SD-203®

and if j-fabled is to be trusted:

F.O.B Factory: F-151

SUGER CANE: SC41966

jdavis: so, did you order any jeans, and if you did, are you happy with them?

tally-hoo

Quote:

hey guys, understanding how much a pair of jeans will shrink is very hard on these translated japanese sites, so I'd just go for a pair of sanforized jeans instead, then you can wear them raw too.

I have found a few pairs that are sanforized;

Studio D'Artisan: SD-201, SD-202, SD-203®

and if j-fabled is to be trusted:

F.O.B Factory: F-151

SUGER CANE: SC41966

jdavis: so, did you order any jeans, and if you did, are you happy with them?

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Oct 8, 2005 07:25 AM

Hey horriblyjollyjinx no I haven't ordered any studio d'artisans yet - I've been sidetracked by work for the past little while - but I still plan on it. I think I'll chance it and buy non-sanforized - It'll be a nice change from what I've been wearing lately. I'll de-size with cold water and put them on damp to dry.

From what I've heard I'm sure we'll both be very happy with them. Let me know what you choose.

Quote: I read on another board that you own the Studio D'artisan 105's. How are those working out for ya?

Also, do you know if the 103s are just as tight as the APC new standards?

I liked the 105s but the fit didn't work out for me. A little too girly for me. I gave them to my friend who loves them more than life itself. I'm now working on a pair of 5EPs, which I love more than life itself. :)

the 103s are right about the same fit as APC new standards, if not a little bit slimmer (it's all very confusing, considering how inconsistent APC is with sizing).

Edited by wild_whiskey on Oct 8, 2005 at 06:50 PM

Incidentally, Studio D'Artisan does a 21oz jean similar to the Iron Heart selvage model. It came out earlier in the year (or late last) and appeared in the July 2005 edition of the Japanese denim magazine 'Denim Style Book', where it received a 'Designers Choice' designation from the editors. Here's a photo from a rakuten vendor:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/klax-on/601804/603300/

In fact, SD may be using the same denim from the same mill as Works Inc --- it looks very similar in photos --- so it would come down to which cut you prefer. I think Denime might do one as well, but not sure.

takashi

Edited by takashi on Oct 10, 2005 at 06:35 AM

• 2 weeks later...