Supertalk's effect on sales and trends

beezen

Do ya think APC has noticed a rise in sales from all the hype generated on here? Do you think this board influences trends? like all those selvage jeans every brand is doin now, maybe there designers read this. How many of ya are rockin clothes cuz youve read about them on here? What have you bought as a direct result of Superfuture? Me I bought some Nudies. You? Lets hear it.

Unfortunately I don't think the influence of Supertalk has that broad of a reach based on how slow the board moves. However, we do have a large pull in terms of getting companies such as fos5 to carry nudies. Smaller import companies jump at the chance to please a community like ours.

Oh yeah, I bought two pairs of nudies icon_smile_blackeye.gif

im pretty sure its just one of those new things. gq a few months back had articles about dry selvage jeans and how armani was putting out a pair, dsquared was doing one, and paper denim had some. also i think apc was in the thing too. apc is actually all over gq now and i highly doubt that its somehow an affect from the board.

sure this board may have -some- effect, but trends/fads have always had a way of sort of blossoming out of nowhere into the minds of many people at once via no clear mechanism. it's like baby names...seriously, having children, it's straight up uncanny how names you pick end up being in the top 10 list for that year, when you think you're picking something somewhat unique. osmosis. it's all about Collective Consciousness.

Don't know if this board has a lot influence on brands and stores, though i think that if they would look here and take advice from people here it would be a good thing. So much people on this board and all into wearing quality clothes, that generates a very, very big database with information. i think this site is really good for people who are trying to get info on brands and stuff, u'll get good advice on this board. And it's just great to have people all around the world with lots of the same interests and different opinions. Because of that there'll be lots of discussions and it's good to learn some different opinions. But about the topic again, there's not enough people on here to have a big effect on sales. Trends are more likely to start here, cause lots of new stuff on the web and people notice and then discuss it here, more people will like it and before you know it there could be a trend.

one million billionth of a millisecond on a sunday morning

I definetlt think this boadr did have its effect. it isn't quite direct, but if you post here and on Niketalk, you nkow that APC's went frmo here to Niketalk, and once they hit Niketalk they have become the new small hype. its like they just started to bubble there and people whio just want the coolest newest item are buying them with no knowledge of the product. knowledge isn't neccessary, but its showing that people will buy APCs just because they are newly visable, with no intention of trying to break them in, basically just to have for the name and selvedge lines

As far as this board maknig impact, I definetly think designers, store owners, and many other peoples who voices get heard are watching this site and generating their opinions of our words. Maybe not wholly, but I definetly believe we have an effect, because where else would you go to see what the common folks real opinions are on these things

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

I defintely feel, that this board and many of the fashion / street blogs generate hype and interest in products, that would other wise be over looked. but on a bad note, it sucks when reseller's and retailers up the price based on supply and demand. i really like grandisim's ethic, they seem like humble cool ass dudes.

change in prices is normal, and I think it is possible hype had an effect, I wouldn't grant supertalk all the credit.

If you notice, why do prices at GAP go up? or rather the expensive brands like LV, their purses go up in price every couple of year... this is just a combination of things that affect the price, ppl buying it too much and trying to lower output, people are making more money, cost of production has gone up, etc etc. Many retailers do this, and I don't think it's a move

out of the blue, it just happens. Similarly, it's like how the nudie RR dry selvedge prices went to $265 in the US, same concept.

at one point it will go up for a number of reason, and I don't think the people who buy APC denim here on supertalk makes up for more than half of the population that wear APC.

It really said to see where diesel has come to. 4-5 years ago, Diesel used to be one of the most inspiring and interesting fashion labels out there and nearly only the people that "got it" appreciated their quirky designs and styles. Now, I hear amongst my later-adopting "trendy" friends that even they are on the way out. Its a shame really. While I'm sure they must be doing well financially, considering that they have expanded so fast and so large, I feel they might end up like Mossimo or Tommy and spread themselves too thin. Their clothing definitely does not command the premiums that they used to enjoy. They really need to return back to what they did great, a tight collection of unique jeans and unique and inspired styles, not rehashes of what DSquared or other stylistic designers are doing.

Quote:

It really said to see where diesel has come to. 4-5 years ago, Diesel used to be one of the most inspiring and interesting fashion labels out there and nearly only the people that "got it" appreciated their quirky designs and styles. Now, I hear amongst my later-adopting "trendy" friends that even they are on the way out. Its a shame really. While I'm sure they must be doing well financially, considering that they have expanded so fast and so large, I feel they might end up like Mossimo or Tommy and spread themselves too thin. Their clothing definitely does not command the premiums that they used to enjoy. They really need to return back to what they did great, a tight collection of unique jeans and unique and inspired styles, not rehashes of what DSquared or other stylistic designers are doing.

--- Original message by djrajio on Sep 14, 2005 09:02 PM

amen to that.

Edited by adsurgo on Sep 14, 2005 at 09:06 PM

personally, i've been into denim (raw selvage) for quite some time... but didn't realize that i wasn't supposed to wash it until i came upon ST...

so i had to buy three more project jeans since then.

now my jeans look cooler (no wonder my older ones weren't fading properly!) and also smell a bit more.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

In regards to Diesel attepmting to recapture their following... They already are. Newest collection is supposed to be their first attempt at a more back to basics approach. Better quality construction, materials etc., and also higher pricepoints. Supposedly they're even attempting to scale down production and lowering distribution to select boutiques.

Edited by Circa on Sep 14, 2005 at 10:16 PM

i personnally believe that st has an effect since it is a global community and where better to garner info?

yes it may be small, however like the tipping point i have a sneaking suspicion that most of the ppl on here are the mavens. if so, it doesn't take many to influence others...

[http://radio.weblogs.com/0107127/stories/2003/01/01/tippingPointNetVersion.html]