Kanye

Lothario

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to compare the two albums b/c they are very different in my opinion. For me, College Dropout has more skippable tracks, but the songs that are good are AMAZING. On the other hand, Late Registration flows much better, and has an overall cinematic, symphony feel to it where you can listen to it start to finish no problem, but maybe less highlights. I think Kanye described it as "music you can clean your house to".

The production is closer to Common's BE than to College Dropout--more string arrangements, more live instruments. LR has almost no sped-up soul samples. There are samples but not SPED-UP chipmunk samples. LR doesn't have the same impact as College Dropout b/c it is the sophmore album, but from a production sandpoint, it pushes the limits for hip hop. I feel the production on LR is what Andre 3000 wanted to accomplish with The Love Below. LR has about the same amount of guest appearances as CD and Kanye is the same style mixing his sense of humor, wit, and dualism in the lyrics.

If College Dropout was a 5 mic, XXL, classic album, then I would give Late Registration a 4.5/5

The bear is his marketing scheme. It's supposed to be a school mascot, where on CD he had given up, and now on LR, he's decided to give it another chance. The next two albums are called 'Graduation' and then 'Good Ass Job'. I think it's just Kanye's representation of how the industry has treated him his entire career.

I'm so self-conscious...

i think both albums are good (actually what am i saying, college drop out is really good) but i think he's got a style of production that he uses all the time (not a bad thing). but its starting to annoy me. people like timberland and premier never really change their formula, it would be cool to see him go off on a tangent.

but saying that (what sort of a bullshit contradictory post is this), has anyone heard lucifer by jay-z?

sooo good

"You brought the fucking Pomeranian bowling?"

"I haven't brought it bowling...I didn't rent it shoes, I'm not buying it a fucking beer, it's not taking a fucking turn..."

Bing Bing I am feeling your assessment of the Kanye situation. Well stated homie.

But seriously, how come no-one has mentioned the track called Addiction. To me, that is the hottest track on the CD and it is a sleeper, similar to 50's just a lil bit. It was also a sleeper that was a banger! The best for Addiction is crazy, very chill yet enticing at the same time; it'll either having you bobbin your head and dancing or have you trying to flow.

Kanye's lyrical flow is on par with many other platinum selling MC's and better than most others in my opinion. Rap has abondoned substance for style long, long ago and Kanye makes legitimate points and draws accurate analysis of a multitude of situations in a clever well thought out way, just listen to Gold Digger. The theme is consistent and it is logical and coherent, most MC's get off topic or say some shit that doesn't flow with the crux of their premise. I don't think he is a great MC but I think he is legit by the standards his peers have set and we have accepted by supporting those MC's.

My fav line in Gold Digger is the "she is supposed to be buying tyco with your money....."

That one simple componded sentance demonstrates the thought and complexity of his work.

He's above most in his class

Out.

The most important and impressive aspect of the album is how well each beat matches the exact subject matter of every song. I think that's one of Kanye's strengths (with help from Jon Brion) I think that's what makes 'Addition' so good, along with the rest of the album. The consistency is very hypnotic.

I'm so self-conscious...

I think that bing bing had a great description of it. touch the sky, gold diggers, roses, addiction, we major and gone I really like. Its defiintely a lot more chill in general than the last one. I loved the last CD and I love this one too but I think the last one has a little bit up on this one.

LR> college dropout

both are classics though

kanye west has matured as a rapper. and having the random people sing on the album helped a lot. i was kinda tired just hearing kanye with john legend.

japan got the best of it, with 2 more hidden tracks.

-make it better ft common, kweli, rhymefest, & Q-TIP

-back to basics ft common

no luck

I actually think LR was better than College Dropout...College Dropout was a great album, but there were still some songs on there that i thought were weak...but they were easily overshadowed by the stronger tracks...in LR, you can easily listen through the whole album without skipping anything...it may not seem like LR has any "highlight" tracks, but that's because they're all hot...its almost like going through your sneaker collection...you know there all dope, so its always hard to pick out your favorite...

College Dropout might seem like a better album than LR, but i think that's mainly because it was a new sound when he came out with it...just like Wu's 1st, Nas' 1st, Jay-Z's reasonable Doubt, Black Moon, etc., etc., etc....

his production is always gonna be tight...as far as his flow though...i think its...eh...and he probably knows it too (from the help that he got on this album with Common, Nas, Camron, and all)...but at least its better than other producers-turned-lyricists like Timbo, Pharrell, Diddy, and all those cats...

Jask

--------------------------------

Jask Clothing Company

www.jaskclothing.com

Struggle is Only a Minor Setback