slb23 sneakers. wtf?

Guest jmatsu

don't know much about these, only that they look like cps (and that their website sucks). have some fuckin pride.

RTEmagicC_sal23_footwear.jpg.jpg

feel free to inform or just do what we do best...talk shit.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know much about these, only that they look like cps (and that their website sucks). have some fuckin pride.

RTEmagicC_sal23_footwear.jpg.jpg

feel free to inform or just do what we do best...talk shit.

You think he designed a shoe for Etnies a while back?

Tthe Sal 23 was one of the illest skate shoes back in the day before everything became all high tech.

I could care less about the shoes pictured above but the In4mation re-release of the old Etnies 23 sounds interesting. I wish I could still get my hands on the old baby blue pair.

Tthe Sal 23 was one of the illest skate shoes back in the day before everything became all high tech.

I could care less about the shoes pictured above but the In4mation re-release of the old Etnies 23 sounds interesting. I wish I could still get my hands on the old baby blue pair.

yo stop shitting up the thread. we are talking shit about this niggas new cp copycat bullshit.

yo stop shitting up the thread. we are talking shit about this niggas new cp copycat bullshit.

OK.. so here's my take..

I'm going to be very frank here.

I know Sal from his store and this dude is not faking shit.. I seriously believe that he has no idea what CP shoes even are... He's the real deal.

He's a hardcore BMX/Rockabilly/JapaneseDenim head and keeps his shit real on all fronts. And if you knew him you'd know that this new project is merely him trying to produce a simple understated sneaker.

His shop SLB on Fairfax is also the only store in the neighborhood doing something original, regardless of whether or not it's turning into sales, he's doing what he loves.

So whatever you think about his new sneakers, the dude is legit.

OK.. so here's my take..

I'm going to be very frank here.

I know Sal from his store and this dude is not faking shit.. I seriously believe that he has no idea what CP shoes even are... He's the real deal.

He's a hardcore BMX/Rockabilly/JapaneseDenim head and keeps his shit real on all fronts. And if you knew him you'd know that this new project is merely him trying to produce a simple understated sneaker.

His shop SLB on Fairfax is also the only store in the neighborhood doing something original, regardless of whether or not it's turning into sales, he's doing what he loves.

So whatever you think about his new sneakers, the dude is legit.

so bascially you are saying that his shoes just happened to look like common projects achilles? that shit is all a coincidence? with the media exposure and influx of new accounts of cps i find this very unlikely. either that, or your nigga sal is extremely unlucky (if he denies cp "inspiration"). i am inclined to believe that the similar silouettes and color ways aren't just freaks of chance.

it's just like how most hertiage jap denim is all based on levis...

Yeah, trust me, i see your point... I'm just saying the guy is legit.

He's got some big things coming up... his jackets and such are really nice, and he's got some really nice button downs on the western tip he's doing..

Yeah, trust me, i see your point... I'm just saying the guy is legit.

He's got some big things coming up... his jackets and such are really nice, and he's got some really nice button downs on the western tip he's doing..

i'm not saying that he isn't a "legit" business man, or that he hasn't got product that seems "nice" to alot of his clients. obivously repo denim based on levis shit and mad sneakers based on cons, chukka silouettes, vans sk8 his, german trainers, mocs etc. are all somewhat typical "inspiration" formats (if this need be argued). too me, this psycho-bmx-billy's footwear is based on a very young and very distinctive shoe company (cp) which "coincidently" has been doing very well recently.

take for example visvim, alot of their shit is all rehashed silouettes, but at least they change shit up by modifying the actual silouettes (and soles), using different textiles, or even by just changing up colorways. you and i both own the the ysl rolling sneakers. i assume you see (the not even THAT subtle) differences between this and the vans sk8 hi...

it's not really a big deal, but these slb23 sneakers didn't really do anything of the like other then add a logo to the back of the sole. if i hadn't been informed or had i not seen the logo on this shit i would have just thought "duuuh... is cp releasing their first season achilles colorways again?" there is a subtle (yet important) difference between being inspired and straight out ripping shit off. exploitation. if this shit's pricepoint is lower than cp, then that is just some serious insult 2 injury. too me this shit is just like how a random korean profiteer would rip off a designer (cheaper production/quality), add some stupid mock brand names to shit and slap some mock labels on.

lastly, this guy is friends with the hundreds (that should say everything, and maybe i should have just wrote this and omitted the rest of my rant).

^ above post could almost entirely get copy-pasted in that Blackscissors thread...

to add to the topic of discussion: all black, all white and tan/white aren't the most creative colourways to begin with...

maybe, but at least the blackscissors guy seems upfront about exactly what he's doing. anyway i don't give a shit about him or dh leather jkts.

i don't really understand what you're trying to say about colorways...

Fair enough....

Point with the colourways is that you are saying that the similar colourway is a bit suspicious, to wich I responded that the above colourways aren't the most creative to begin with, I mean, coming up with an all black or all white shoe isn't the hardest thing to do...

And I believe that it would infact be possible for someone who's busy with clothing in a completely different way to come up with sleek, allstars inspired shoe in all black/white...

I get all your points though...

Fair enough....

Point with the colourways is that you are saying that the similar colourway is a bit suspicious, to wich I responded that the above colourways aren't the most creative to begin with, I mean, coming up with an all black or all white shoe isn't the hardest thing to do...

And I believe that it would infact be possible for someone who's busy with clothing in a completely different way to come up with sleek, allstars inspired shoe in all black/white...

I get all your points though...

i was referring to those colorways for the specific models in this thread vs. the cp achilles lows. looks the same too me. and it's not about shit being hard or easy to do.

another factor that i'd like to point out is timing. for example, the first mm german trainer was exactly a german trainer except that the production and material was italian vs. made in romania or germany. nobody said shit about this because german trainers hadn't experienced a resurgence and mm was probably the first guy to start putting that shit out again (followed by more noticeable modifications/innovations). as you know other labels followed suit, but significantly changed shit up. when this type of shoe somewhat stagnified we get all of these other smaller non "designer" brands coming out with their own cheaper versions in order to just turn a quick profit.

some of them had interesting takes on the german trainer, while others basically just had the shoes shipped from romania and added their own insoles and labels. others who lacked the resources to get them just produced even cheaper clones (even cheaper than the authentics). i am somewhat trying to imply that the accused reeks of this scheme...although i cannot be 100% certain. if the shoe fits...

from what i know and see from these slb23 sneakers, i feel that they uninteresting/unoriginal takes on cp (which was/is a young label whose timing and sensibilites are sound). if i were to put shit way more frankly i'd just say that this is some clone-exploitation.

when you mention allstars which is an alias of converse chuck taylors, i just don't see the similarities between the slb23 and the cp achilles which they emulate.

if you were referring to the onestar model i can see it alittle more in the silouette, but i still find it very very very very far-fetched to even compare them to that of the achilles. if by any chance cp were "inspired" by it (which i have difficulty seeing), their changes/innovations and timing are definitely better and more forgiveable in comparison to many other brands.

J. I totaly see what you mean and I now feel as if I'm being drawn into a discussion that I feel isn't neccesary.

Maybe I should've just kept my mouth shut in this, as I'm at work and don't have time to go into to it as I'd like and also to read up on it (don't know enough about CP fe.). Just what I've seen from SLB as a brand when I was there, it seemed like he was just doing what he wanted with the brand, and putting out products that he stood behind. But this was just my impression.

I'll be back (maybe...)

heh heh...saw this & immediately thought the same as mats, which is what I believe most if not all will feel. That's the problem for this guy - no matter his claim to legitimacy, given the timing & near facsimile, he's lost.

& while I applaud Kiya's effort to defend his friend, unfortunately, it comes across as merely as that - lost objectivity given the proximity.

I know too many designers in many different industries...& almost without exception, the hallmark of all of them (at least, successful) is that they are all keenly aware of heritage & derivation. CPs have blown up, esp. this past year. Sal's either got his head in the sand and clueless or he's trying to get in on some of that action or coopt it as his/industry's own.

So either way, he comes across as less than flattering, if not a massive fail - stupid or sheep, and an opportunistic one at that.

If per Kiya, he's really feigning ignorance, at least tear a page from the Apted boys in Knocked up - when one discovers that their hard fought online endeavor is a copy of Mr.Skin, they have the intelligence & pride to succumb.

lastly, this guy is friends with the hundreds (that should say everything, and maybe i should have just wrote this and omitted the rest of my rant).

The only other thing i will add to this is that i find this sentence very amusing.

I publicly won't go into it. But if Sid and Cotton remember the day we went and visited Sal, you'll know what i'm talking about.

The only other thing i will add to this is that i find this sentence very amusing.

I publicly won't go into it. But if Sid and Cotton remember the day we went and visited Sal, you'll know what i'm talking about.

alright. you r win. me r get it. sal r coolin guy. sid r coolr. cotton b coolist nordicman.

will comment on these more, when my spies come back from FAGIC.

this guy and his shop are totally whack. saw the CP rips in LV last week, only difference is the sole has the logo in it. to be honest i think i saw one or two other CP rip shoes from other brands but can't remember which ones.