Raf Simons Paris F/W 08.09

goldengloves

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed. I mean, while I don't think this is bad, it just isn't as groundbreaking as some of his other collections.

Highlights for me are the outerwear pieces and I'm sure the trousers fit excellent but other than that, nothing really sticks out.

I'm also feeling a big, 'what the fuck' from the footwear.

The coat in the last look is my favorite.

hate hate hate hate hate the sillouhette.

This is kind of the way I'm feeling about it. I want to see him mess with proportion more, fuck with the male body but this looks about as plain as what he does for Jil Sander. Mean while the collection he did this season for Jil Sander looks more like a Raf collection....this shit is backwards.

His SS08 collection pushed boundaries, this is just rather stale to me.

Amazingly structured pieces, great use of colors and textures, wow. I do see some prada as well. Those jackets are so beautifuly taliored, very very nice. I like that overall (not including the printed pieces) understatedness of the collection, I can see what you mean Golden about not being ground breaking. I think while not ground breaking it is non the less very strong. Not sure about the footwear though.

As for the footwear, as always, I'll reserve some judgement till they hit stores but right now it just looks as though the soles have a ton of excess rubber and are unfinished. Hopefully they'll look better in person as I'm usually a big fan of his footwear.

ain't bad

a lot of the outerwear is sweet, except the flaming patterned shit. the shoes could be cool too but i don't know if they really work with such t1te pants.

collection as a whole doesn't look that new, but i like the sillhouette and the patterns, details and whatever... looks like it'd be cooler in store.

I find this collection very very interesting, perhaps even confounding. Looking through it I feel like I am missing something, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut until I really examine it. I will say this: I think that "what the fuck" is exactly the reaction he was looking for in the footwear. I'm not sure what to make of it myself. Hell, every other garmet has been done oversized, and almost all of them have been pulled off successfully at one point or another. Why not shoes? Everyone seems to be quick to say that this collection is not innovative. I'm not sure. This collection has certainly made me think more than any other (not sure why). Perhaps I'm just looking for something that isn't there. Also, everyone please listen to what noO is saying about prada; and t0m's pictures make it look a lot better to me for some reason, not sure if that is relavant. I've rambled far too much. Carry on.

Raf is just fucking with me at this point. The last collection really had me grasping at straws as well, but at least they were interesting, somewhat insane straws to grasp at, and by the time I was done I realized how much I loved it. Everytime I try to find something salvageable here I find drab colors, un-inventive silhouettes and some things that are just flat-out ugly.

i like the homage to mod/skin culture of the 60's and 709's, and the pub-crawler inspired shoes are silly but fun and interesting, but theres no real outstanding piece in this collection. just seems to recycle a lot of the last couple of years have been showing all around - a return to british styling of the 50's, 60's, and 70's while maintaing a modern edge. i dunno, i'm not fashionable myself to pass judgement, but i do like it.

Looking again, I see how people can be bored with it now but I see a sense of maturation in this presentation. I think dialing it down like this and doing much more basic and in a sense more traditional than the previous season is interesting. I think this season has several pieces and looks that will become favorites of many people, I feel this collection has to be seen in person to see its full potential as I feel there are some great subtleties(example: hidden pockets in grey ribbed turtleneck), which I look forward to seeing. I think this will grow on people.

I've been waiting for Raf's collection.. And I must say I'm not that impressed with this one.

The only things I like are the swirly colored ones and his sweaters - both of which are clearly Rothko Inspired. Very cool. The gray suits are okay too..

I hope Raf does soemthing better for spring